Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• uvonne610
    uvonne610 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The only time I like it is when those who are already fit and brag all the time about how much they work out and then here I am drop. 40 pounds and they look at me like wait your not supposed to succeed I am. I like the shocked factor! Shocking those who thought I couldn't do it
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    The only time I like it is when those who are already fit and brag all the time about how much they work out and then here I am drop. 40 pounds and they look at me like wait your not supposed to succeed I am. I like the shocked factor! Shocking those who thought I couldn't do it

I hear ya! Brillant bahahahaha make me smile reading this hehe
  • uvonne610
    uvonne610 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    when people make smart*** comments I tell them I eat pizza and ice cream all day. It's gets them to leave me alone haha
  • slw5X5
    slw5X5 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    People have asked me what my secret was. Like working your *kitten* off is a big secret! hahaha
  • Dargealing
    Dargealing Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love this reply.. and my other one is when they asked me?? or say you have lost weight, and I say yes, and if you find it I DO'T WANT IT BACK SO YOU CAN KEEP IT.. LOL
    i GET THE REMARK,..YOUR NOT GOING TO LOSE ANYMORE ARE YOU???????????????????????????????????????
    And I can never think of the right witty thing to say, but these are the busy body people who are jealous all they can do is stare at me, and i just gloat, and think to myself, eat your heart out. It motivates me to keep the weight off and to keep going,
    Then I had someone say that was overweight herself, 'your not supposed to be that thin at your age. and I asked her, well how fat am i supposed to be then? I mean that is just stupid!
    anyone who cuts the calories, does the workouts and eats healthy can do this as well. There are some medical reasons that some have trouble losing weight but for the rest of us.. keep on doing what your doing. And that is what I love about this site. We are all here trying to get to the same goal, as far as getting healthy. and we are here to encourage you and anyone else who is fighting to get there, so just keep doing what you are doing..
    people ask me how I did it, I tell them just plain hard butt kicking sweating workouts and cutting calories..
    so GO FOR IT AND WE WILL BE HERE WHEN YOU REACH YOUR GOAL CHEERING YOU ON.. YOU GO GIRL!!!
  • jangaard
    jangaard Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've been really frustrated by this lately. My father and my two best friends are all SHOCKED that i want to lose another 20-30 lb, even though that would put me EXACTLY in the middle of the healthy weight range for my height. According to the BMI scale, I'm JUST (like one pound) within the healthy weight range. I've lost almost 60 lb all together already and i'm in the best shape of my life, so i KNOW i will reach my goals. It's really discouraging to hear the people closest to me telling me to stop when i know i can be better!!!

It's even worse when they save "20 lbs is TOO MUCH! you must have an EATING DISORDER" even when they are all thin!
  • SierraZulu
    Options
    I've lost weight before, just through portion control and exercise and I got the "you're so skinny! What HAPPENED to you?" Ummm... I was kidnapped and held for ransom for 5 months! LOL

But one of the rudest things was actually earlier this winter when I was at my heaviest weight 214 lbs. This woman, who was a friend of the family and hadn't seen me for years, said, very loudly, at my Grandmother's funeral, "ohhhh, you've gained weight, eh! Wow!" At my Grandmother's funeral. Classy! smh
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    If I had a penny for every time someone's said to me, "Wow, you're the incredible shrinking woman!", I'd be rich. :P

(P.S. Oh, and yeah, the, "What's your secret???" thing. I answer now that I have the two amazing secrets of watching what I eat, and moving more. People seem so disappointed that I didn't have surgery, or take green coffee bean extract, or whatever.)

(P.P.S. Also: "You look fantastic now!" O rly? What did I look like before?)

I do understand people are trying to be nice, give compliments, etc. And I respond in turn usually. Doesn't mean it doesn't hurt sometimes, or irritate me.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Thinking more about this: Instead of focusing on the things people say that irritate/annoy me, I should focus on the ones that say to me, "You have been an inspiration to me." Those who have started changing their own lifestyles because of seeing what doing that has done for me. More positive approach. :)
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    my favorite is I love your new hair style! I've lost 85 pounds,this was at 50 pounds down,told hubby I was getting a shirt that says "I've lost 50 pounds,have'nt changed my hair!"
  • msbabycakes88
    Options
    Silence was the response to my first round of losing weight 2 yrs ago. I lost 30lbs in a little under 2months. I showed up at my sister inlaws baby shower and ppl just starred in silence as soon as I walked in. AWKWARD:embarassed:
  • jmath911
    jmath911 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Reading over these I think some people try to be clever in the way they address someone's weight loss. and some people are just rude. It seems the best thing to say to someone is "Wow, you look nice" and drop it,unless the person you compliment wants to divulge more
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    "why can't people just say "you look great!!"?? " quote from previous post....
    Wow you look great now, ummm, thankyouIlooklikecrapbefore? why add the now?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I try to keep in mind that people aren't use to me being thin, I've been heavy all my life so it's new. I've been told that I'm too thin but yet I could still use to lose another 10 lbs to be in the middle of my BMI. I'm in the middle/top part now.

I've heard "You're too thin, you need to eat some cake or something." than shortly after my mom who is 4 inches taller than I and at the time weight just as much as I did, was told "But your mom looks great!" really? I mean she's taller than me and she looks great at my weight but I look too thin?

I'm doing me, don't care what anyone thinks.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I try to assume that people aren't trying to be malicious, otherwise I'd go nuts. Sometimes what is meant to be a compliment just comes out wrong. So far I haven't really had anything negative, I've mostly gotten, "You've lost weight haven't you? What have you been doing?" No assumptions about how I'm doing it, just a genuine curiosity. I'm actually a teensy bit peeved that I've dropped over 45 pounds and more people haven't noticed, even people who haven't seen me since my highest weight. Oh well, still going strong. :)
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been super complimentary. So much so, I've been getting embarrassed. It seems silly to get irritated over people's comments and compliments. I mean c'mon I've lost 65 pounds, I look way different. Sometimes it shocks people, if they've not seen me in a long time. Plus I dress a whole lot better now too. Leave the house without my hair and make up done? No way!

Give people a break, you will live longer.
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great come-back! I am going to try it! Thanks!
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    The people at my work were supportive until the past two weeks. They've gone from being team cheerleaders to flat out asking if I might have an eating disorder, and are now grabbing the "wings" of the butt on my too-large pants while saying "You're just a stick figure now!" (We don't have boundaries in my department; we're all obnoxious and loud women. Ha!)

Having the question come up once (well, it was more of a statement the first time it came out) was kinda alright in my book, but it's being hinted at with more subtle questions ("Can you see your bones when you change?" "Are you taking any weight loss supplements?" "You're not planning to lose any more, are you?") to this day and it's taking a turn for being hurtful. I'm in my goal's ball park and I want to tone up, but the enthusiasm at work for the weight loss group that I'm a part of has gone a little sour in my direction. I'm kind of sad about it. :ohwell:

So yeah, you're not the only one getting less-uplifting-than-hoped-for comments. *sigh* :ohwell:
  • G__Force
    G__Force Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    For the most part people have been great about it and really happy for me. What I have found is the one that are over weight are the ones with poor comments. The worst was I guy I had not seen for about 8 months said "I did not recognize you, and then in the same breath said what drugs are you on", I just said would you like to know *kitten* and walked away!!
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    New tape worm?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!