Really do not want to track

Options
lordlensherr
lordlensherr Posts: 6
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I just signed up. I don't want to write down everything I eat out of embarrassment and laziness. Help and motivation appreciated , new so please add me! Thanks

Replies

• Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    You either do it or you don't. Those are your options.
  • lolapedia88
    lolapedia88 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I recommend tracking. It's hard but will help a lot
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Boy do I ever know how you feel! I never managed to keep food diaries before I joined MFP. But if you have a device around, tablet or laptop or whatever, and can add things in online as you go, I actually find it kind of fun on the website. The embarrassment....well, I know that, too, but I found the logging was what KEPT me from doing a lot of embarrassing things. I'd see after lunch how many calories I had left for the day so I could plan accordingly.

Maybe commit to trying it for a week. see how it goes. and see if it doesn't make a difference in how you eat and maybe in your weight. I think it's maybe the most important thing we can do.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You either do it or you don't. Those are your options.

Yep. Just do it.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yeah I used to hate it. I have tried and failed Weight Watchers several times for that reason. You just have to make yourself do it until it becomes a habit. By then you will probably realize what a valuable tool it really is. If you keep your diary closed there is no need to be embarrassed, no one but you will see what you eat but you won;t be able to hide it from yourself anymore...and that my friend is why it is so important.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I had a big problem with being honest with myself when I first started. I would not count something if it put me over, or would just not log for a day, and I wasn't losing anything because of it. I recommitted to doing it right in June and have lost 26 lbs so far doing it right. Track everything no matter how hard it is to see. It will help you make better choices throughout the day. Pre-planning your day is also a really good idea to make sure you're going to stay under, and get enough food in for the day.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It's the only way I've ever lost weight. After a long time, maybe when I hit my goal, I will have calorie rainman skills and will be able to look at a dish and know how many calories are there and if I'm good.....but for now, I track :)
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Logging is just a tool to help improve your diet and exercise program. Only you are making a self judgement in regard to embarrassment. I might suggest that you are not lazy, just a little afraid of the commitment to do what it takes to get to your goals..I believe we are all there at some point in our journey. Just remember to take little steps and just start...the rest of the journey ( the learning to use the diet and exercise journal information to improve yourself rather than judge yourself) becomes a habit and a help. Soon you will look back and see how successful you are!
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Track, but keep your food diary private when you do your settings. This is what I did to limit embarrassment .
  • lordlensherr
    Options
    Thanks
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Um, it might encourage you to eat properly if you're aware your food choices are embarrassing.
    I don't get the whining on here. I understand lots of people need support and some encouragement, but declaring you just don't want to do something seems pointless. Are we supposed to convince you otherwise?
    If you can't do something as simplistic as jot down your calories, I think you're not ready or willing to lose the weight.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Keep it private for now and learn to hold yourself accountable. Make it a goal to one day soon make you diary public that way you can work up to it. It can be a little disappointing to see the calories go up when you eat poorly but after logging them for awhile you start to rethink if you need that snack right now or if you're eating out of habit. Take it slow and easy and focus on relearning how to to be healthy. You'll get there if you really want too,
  • smvamp
    Options
    It's not the funnest thing to do, but if you really want to see what and how much you eat...and get that under control...you're going to have to make that decision. How important is it to you?? And if it's not that important...don't do it. And don't complain when you do not see the results you are searching for. It's all about what's important to YOU! Now...go track. ;)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Logging your food at least for a while is very important. You can make your diary private so only you can see it or make it only visable to those on your friends list if others seeing is too hard right now. You can change it back later if you want.
  • XxAngry_Pixi
    XxAngry_Pixi Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I set mine to public from the start. yup it's pretty embarrassing what I eat some days, but it is going to help me make better choices. It's not going to work if you lie to yourself!
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm actually a fan of keeping my diary fairly private (private to friends). I log everything and just let it be. I figure if I have the sort of friends who will judge my occasional 3 AM Cheetos binge, then we're probably not going to get along very well. :D

But seriously: you gotta track everything. Even if you don't stay at goal every day, you can't make changes until you know what you're already doing.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I just signed up. I don't want to write down everything I eat out of embarrassment and laziness. Help and motivation appreciated , new so please add me! Thanks

Nobody will see your diary until one day you go and open it. The default setting for diaries is private.

The tool's completely for your own help. So you know how much you are eating, get to know better why you have not lost weight in the past.

use it and you'll be really glad you did. :)
  • Linda860
    Linda860 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to track your food, why are you here? Tracking is what it's all about. And it's for YOU, not others on here. Tracking teaches you how to eat. By learning the nutritional values of foods, and knowing your limits, you train yourself how to eat and along the way lose weight. I've been at this for more than two years now. While I can size up the calories and carbs in a meal just based on experience, I still track my food and have no plans to stop. Try it. It works. Or don't try it. Up to you.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter whether you track it or not, you ate it. You can either Ostrich or own up - it makes no difference to any single person on the face of this earth but you.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    A possible way to start is to start at maintenance calories. Then you are learning one new thing (tracking) instead of 2 new things (how to eat less AND tracking).
This discussion has been closed.