Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Totally. I told all my friends I'm on this great weight loss plan called ELMM!!! I had a whole bunch of people say, "ooooh, what diet is that?" "what do you eat?" do you have to do some crazy shake?" Nope, just eat less , move more.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    "Oh my god I hate you for losing all that weight and looking good, I'm so fat"

Well, I busted my butt in the gym 3-5 days a week, don't overeat, and gave up eating fast food/junk food. Don't talk to me like I just woke up one day and magically all the weight just fell off in the shower. I had days I could barley walk because my legs were so sore from the gym. This wasn't easy. LOL!

I think some people expect you to turn around and tell them about the magic weight loss fairy and where they can find her and she will grant all your weight loss dreams.
  • dgbrash2
    dgbrash2 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wanting to lose a little weight, I've been on MFP for about 10 months, at the invitation of a couple of work buddies. Thankfully, my weight wasn't too far off where I really wanted to be [SW - 183, GW-170]. I've been at my GW for about 3 months. Because of family medical history, I have a yearly physical (age-52). My last one was a couple of weeks ago. My doctor noticed my weight was down from last year, and asked, "What did you do? Exercise? Eat less?" I simply said, 'Yes." And smiled. Then mentioned that I was using MFP. His response? "So am I." If my doctor is using it, it's GOT to have some merit!

Other comments by family:
    WIFE: "We can't afford to buy you a new wardrobe!"
    DAUGHTER: "Daddy, you don't have a 'belly' anymore!"

I just smile......
  • fosshage79
    fosshage79 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Double concentrated! : )
    I love that!!! I'm completely going to use that one when I get there!
    As far as "wasting away" I think it's okay to just let people know how you interpret those words... wasting away sounds like I'm weak and shriviling up, and I'm just getting stronger! Or if people make comments that you need to stop or eat a burger, be honest and let them know you are getting close but it's hard when people make unsupportive comments telling you to stop when your so close... let them interpret your response how they will, and at least give them the opportunity to be suppportive.
  • devinbear
    devinbear Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My favorite one was, "hey I always thought you looked good, but now that you've lost weight, I can see that you were kind of chubby." Haha. It is all true really. I was borderline overweight and at a healthy weight now, but the wording just seemed...off.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me, I am trying to lose some weight that I gained pretty recently, so luckily I don't seem to be getting the rude comments some of you guys are getting about getting "too thin" because I'm still not at the point where people aren't used to me being.

However, I did have a trainer at my gym take me aside and ask if I'm eating because I'm losing weight (and NOT even at a very fast pace...). I was like uh hi you see me here regularly and I've lost like a total of 10 pounds in like 4 months, so I don't think you need to worry!
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    People tell me this all the time, it drives me crazy! I have lost 73lbs and at my current weight of 229 I am still considered obese even at 6ft tall. Someone will ask me how much more I am going to lose and I tell them 55lbs and they gasp and say that I will be too skinny. I just look at them and say that my goal weight is actually a healthy weight for my height and that I have plenty of places to lose more, trust me I look at myself in the mirror! I am determined and I want to be healthy for my future and enjoy every minute of it! I wish you much success in your journey! :)
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    she routinely gets people who ask her if she's expecting...

As a guy, I learned a long time ago: Unless you see a baby poking out from between her legs, never, ever, ever comment, assuming a woman is pregnant. :embarassed:
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    One of my work colleagues asked me if I was ill lol I mean seriously. I'm hardly skin and bones!

and from another colleague...'if you lose any more weight you'll be as thin as me'
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

Just remember people don't like change. They see you changing...in a positive light and they are in the same spot-whatever that is. Humans are jealous by nature...
    [/quote]

Totally agree with this. After my first round of weight loss from 159lbs to 128lbs (21 pounds) an obese aunt of mine would hint to everyone that I had an eating disorder. Said aunt is now doing a liquid shake program to shift the pounds. So I guess people who have a problem with your weight loss success are insecure and need to address that rather than projecting their issues onto people who are making a real effort to better themselves.

Now that I'm doing MFP for the next 20 pounds, my whole family is freaking out that I'm going to die of starvation haha gotta love Europeans :)
    [/quote]

How tall are you? Because unless you're really short, 108 pounds DOES sound like an eating disorder.
  • CassiHutchings
    CassiHutchings Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I usually take it as a compliment when people say things like, "I think you are good at your current weight"...but then my mom says things such as, "I can't picture you losing anymore weight..." Yet, years ago after having two children she was 20 pounds lighter than I am right now (we are the same height), and she's said before that she was really comfortable at that weight.

So, this makes me suspicious. I know my mom loves me, and wants to see me happy. However, her subconscious probably doesn't want me to get down to my goal weight, because she herself is having a major weight issue right now.

Even my step mom, who DOESN'T have a weight problem and is SO tiny, tell me she thinks I should stop. Yet, she always talks about what great shape my stepbrothers girlfriend is in, and is always complimenting her on her slim physique. This girlfriend is TINY, and SO much thinner than I am. Lol. So? Why do people keep saying things like this to me, and only me?

I'll agree with what a few other people have said and say that people just don't like change. My step mom might think my stepbrothers girlfriend looks great because she has ALWAYS looked great, whereas my body is changing drastically and she saw me at my heaviest weight. Our family and friends can't look at us objectively. ;)
  • sarapopefitness
    sarapopefitness Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've dropped around 40 pounds in 6 months and I get this kind of stuff constantly. Sometimes it's mildly annoying, but when I get a comment like "You're fading away" I respond with "that's the goal! Soon I'll be gone completely". I also get a few people giving me advice that I dont' ask for, which is funny since obviously what I'm doing is already working! I usually listen to what they have to say, and then tell him what I am doing and then carry on my merry way. People are usually pretty proud of you, but sometimes are jealous and don't know how to express it. I also get a lot of people who ask what I'm doing because they want to lose weight, so I share what I've been doing but express that it's really about what works for them.
  • CassiHutchings
    Options
    I've dropped around 40 pounds in 6 months and I get this kind of stuff constantly. Sometimes it's mildly annoying, but when I get a comment like "You're fading away" I respond with "that's the goal! Soon I'll be gone completely". I also get a few people giving me advice that I dont' ask for, which is funny since obviously what I'm doing is already working! I usually listen to what they have to say, and then tell him what I am doing and then carry on my merry way. People are usually pretty proud of you, but sometimes are jealous and don't know how to express it. I also get a lot of people who ask what I'm doing because they want to lose weight, so I share what I've been doing but express that it's really about what works for them.

I also get the advice I'm not asking for. It's usually critical. I buy pre-packed deli chicken, cause i really like it. And, my mom is constantly telling me that I should get fresh deli meat instead. This is such a stupid criticism...What are you eating mom? Giant margaritas every day and 1200 calories meals along with them? Get your own eating in check before you criticize the kind of deli meat I prefer. Lol.

I love your response..."that's the goal! Soon I'll be gone completely"...Hehe Stealing!
  • aszwarc
    aszwarc Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with what a few other people have said and say that people just don't like change. My step mom might think my stepbrothers girlfriend looks great because she has ALWAYS looked great, whereas my body is changing drastically and she saw me at my heaviest weight. Our family and friends can't look at us objectively. ;)
    QFT.

If someone is accustomed to seeing you heavy, then too much change looks wrong. Weight-wise, I'm about where I was when I graduated college and got married. But that was 20 years ago, and I was up 80 pounds in that time. I fully expect my mom to start making snide comments about getting too thin, even though I'm pretty sure my measurements are still larger than my sister's.
    I also get a few people giving me advice that I dont' ask for, which is funny since obviously what I'm doing is already working! I usually listen to what they have to say, and then tell him what I am doing and then carry on my merry way.
    That happens to me, too! "Have you tried paleo/Atkins/keto/Weight Watchers/cabbage soup diet/organic/(insert fad diet here)?" No, I'm eating the same things I always did, with some changes (replaced ground beef with ground turkey), and watching quantities. That's all.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Even one of my very best friends (who I discuss diet, exercise, etc. with all the time) told me that I needed to stop because I'm getting "too skinny". I still weigh 10lbs more than she does and we are the same height, so however that works! And she's still complaining that she needs to lose 5-10lbs. But I know she doesn't mean anything bad by it - I know we both tend to be self critical - so while it's easy to think the worst - that they are out to sabotage you, in reality I know I tend to think my friends look amazing and can't see the 5 or 10lbs they think they need to lose, but I can see it on myself. Even when we are basically the same size and that makes no sense....

Anyway, we've had a blast shopping together now because we wear the same size pants now. Honestly I'm the one who has a hard time wrapping my brain around that idea. I look at her legs and think they're perfect, look at mine and see the fat (though not much lately!), and my thighs are slightly smaller than hers now. Body image isn't based on facts for most people!

I had another friend tell me that I'm "half" the size I was before. I've lost like 34lbs.... so no. My boss told me that I'm "wasting away" - though clearly he meant it as a compliment because he asked me how I've done it because he wants to lose weight too.

I think most of the time it's just comments that weren't very well thought out, or a natural reaction to change. I say to not take it personally.
  • CassiHutchings
    Options
    I also tell people..."Yeah well...you don't see me naked, and I do." Lol
  • emachinies
    Options
    Years ago when I had lost a substantial amount of weight I ran into a guy I had not seen in quite a while. He was quite amazed and asked me: "Do you got the Aids?" How's that for a compliment? lol.
  • goalaska
    Options

Just remember people don't like change. They see you changing...in a positive light and they are in the same spot-whatever that is. Humans are jealous by nature...

Totally agree with this. After my first round of weight loss from 159lbs to 128lbs (21 pounds) an obese aunt of mine would hint to everyone that I had an eating disorder. Said aunt is now doing a liquid shake program to shift the pounds. So I guess people who have a problem with your weight loss success are insecure and need to address that rather than projecting their issues onto people who are making a real effort to better themselves.

Now that I'm doing MFP for the next 20 pounds, my whole family is freaking out that I'm going to die of starvation haha gotta love Europeans :)
    [/quote]
    How tall are you? Because unless you're really short, 108 pounds DOES sound like an eating disorder.

I'm only 5 ft, and my goal is 110 :) I think that's pretty healthy for my height
  • mistebolden
    mistebolden Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think the most irritating thing someone said to me after loosing weight was "Your so lucky you can wear cute clothes like that." At first it really enraged me and I wanted to say "oh so getting up at 5:30 every morning to work out for an hour, watching everything I eat, and counting every calorie is luck?, NO! It's freaking working my butt off!", but I didn't I just looked at them and said, "Well it's all about hard work and sensible eating habits."
    People will always make rude comments when you decide to make a drastic change in your life, especially when it's something that you're doing to better yourself and they're not able to do it yet, but just keep your focus and try to be around people who continue to support you.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Here's one that made me feel really good. I'm running in the BAA 10k. At one point I hear from the spectators "Holy ****, that's Al!! Al, HOLY **** YOU LOOK AWESOME!! " I don't even know who that was, but I'm betting it is someone I haven't seen in a while.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!