is it weird being a gym regular but never talking to anyone?

Options
ive been at my gym for 2 years now
feels weird seeing the same people for that long and never speaking to them
how does that make you feel?
im thinking about changing gyms at the end of his year for this reason
i think i will get my "good mornings" and "hellos" out of the way early so they know im normal
so its not awkward 7 months later when im pretending theyre invisible. "its cool, he said hi to me before"
there should be a etiquette rule for that
you cant see someone more than 20+ times without talking to them
its just really weird
weird weird werd

Replies

• Mobilemuscle
    Mobilemuscle Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    i dont talk to anyone... i give the "big guy respect nod" to other big dudes... I stare at the hot girls doing squats and deads in their see through lululemon pants and I crush the iron

that is all
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i think i will get my "good mornings" and "hellos" out of the way early so they know im normal
    so its not awkward 7 months later when im pretending theyre invisible. "its cool, he said hi to me before"
    its just really weird
    weird weird werd

I acknowledge people, I look around. If people make eye contact with me, I nod and smile and keep it moving. If they feel the need to talk to you, then they will or vice versa. You shouldn't feel obligated to communicate. Also don't be rude, smile and occasionally head nod.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I say hi and talk a little to the fella's that when I first walk in, they are always sitting at a table close to the door and I don't know if they are female stalking or they just happened to finish their workout just before I get there. But, they are loud and proud. so, I chit chat a little. A few of the females nod, smile, and some have talked. But, once I get my earbuds in, I'm done with conversation. I asked a beefed up guy once about a certain routine he was doing....I say ONCE because when he talked, he sounded like Michael Jackson. so, I refuse to talk during workouts now.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    All the regulars get a nod if eye contact is made, but other than that most they get out of me is how many you got left, are you using the barbell , got X lefts or nope im not using go ahead.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    i dont talk to anyone... i give the "big guy respect nod" to other big dudes... I stare at the hot girls doing squats and deads in their see through lululemon pants and I crush the iron

that is all

Right there with you buddy.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    If you want to lift, go to the gym. If you want to talk, go outside.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    No reason to switch gyms, just ask for a spot every once in awhile.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    All the regulars get a nod if eye contact is made, but other than that most they get out of me is how many you got left, are you using the barbell , got X lefts or nope im not using go ahead.

That's what I do too. I go to the gym to work out....if I want to chat I'll go somewhere else.
  • caber_tosser
    Options
    Same gym 4 years now..talk to a few before I start but once I put the headphones in it is all business.
    The way it is suppose to be.
    Those who talk at the gym inevitably look the same year after year...and there is a reason for that.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't talk. I am not a very social person at all and am intimidated by people that I don't know (sometimes even by people I DO know!). You are going to the gym to work out, and I see nothing wrong with keeping to yourself.
  • akathatoneguy
    akathatoneguy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't go crazy trying to introduce myself to new people but I'm friendly when the opportunity presents itself. And personally, I've always found "if you want to talk, go somewhere else" kind of silly. Same with "don't be on your phone at the gym". I often have a couple minutes of rest between sets; why not talk if I have friends there?

ETA: Don't get me wrong, on some days I'm "headphones guy", especially if I am doing a workout where I go quickly between sets, like supersetting legs and bis or tris. But if it's chest day and you're working out with a buddy and need a couple of minutes of rest between sets, who cares if you talk a bit? You just can't let it get out of hand, lol.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    The high school and college kids spend too much time talking to each other, so us old guys just sweat in peace...
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes, very weird. Maybe change your look and start saying hi to people? They might not realize who you are. Leave your old identity behind.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I don't talk to anyone at the gym. They get a *upwards nod* if they are staring.
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's different as I'm at an all female gym, but I chat with the girls up there pretty often and other people are always talking to each other, too. However, having a Personal trainer makes me feel a lot more comfortable when I'm there. I might not have come out of my shell otherwise.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    its just really weird
    weird weird werd
    I once quit a gym because talking is all anyone wanted to do. A gym full of people who shutup and workout would be my ideal scenario. I work out in my garage now.
  • raw_meal
    raw_meal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Do crossfit, most people talk to you before or after the workout. Sometimes during the workout if we are not dying we ask what rep were on or when the hell is this going to be over...:sad:
  • Deipneus
    Options
    -delete-
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you want to talk to someone, try the ladies change room. It's generally the easiest place to strike up a conversation.

I also take a class outside of a gym and everyone has been much more sociable in that environment (it's one of those acrobatic silks classes).

Other than that, ask a friend to come and hang out with you at the gym. Maybe if the other people at your gym see your sociable side, they may consider you more approachable? Also, maybe try working out at a different time. The just before and just after work crowd may be too busy to talk

I'm trying to get the courage to strike up a conversation with a couple of cute guys in my gym but so far I've been way too shy. :-)
  • Deipneus
    Options
    If you want to talk to someone, try the ladies change room. It's generally the easiest place to strike up a conversation.
    The OP is a guy. Should be an interesting conversation. ;-)