Things People Say When You've Lost Weight

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5 ft, and my goal is 110 :) I think that's pretty healthy for my height

Yeah, that's reasonable.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It bugs me too when people say I'm wasting away.
    I just smile at them.

But usually these thoughts cross my mind during the smile.
    -Yeah, my fats are wasting away.
    -Yeah right, why don't you & me go shirtless in front of a mirror & see who's wasting away.
    -Really now?! Why don't you match my pull ups & pistols rep per rep.
    -Wanna see my abs?

hahaha... love the abs comment.

But on another note. I'm not where I'm getting comments anymore, but I was between child #1 and child#2. A hard pregnancy and some injuries have not helped my mostly sedentary lifestyle and somewhat bad eating habits, so I'm right back to where I was before.

Anyway... My mom told me something the other day... she said: 'Back in her day, you saw a sea of people and the fat person always stood out...now, in a sea of people, it's the skinny ones that stand out.'

I think she made a good point. So many people are unhealthy and have sitting jobs that we don't know what healthy looks like anymore. With my one son's anxiety issues, I've also learned that a lot of people don't like change, to be out of their comfort zone.

So yes, some people say things to be mean, but for most, I think it's just insecurities and not knowing how to express themselves well that make them sound rude. I think that hte tone in which is said makes all the difference too, so if you say something, make sure to weight the way you say it. I've felt embarrassed when people put too much emphasis on my weight loss and I know that I might have said things that came out wrong in the past not knowing how it would affect people. I now don't say anything about others body images unless it's something they hint at or mention first... then you might offend people that want you to say something... either way, you can't win at that, but you can win at letting things roll of your shoulders and at feeling great!
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Recently I got, "Where'd you go?!"

I was confused, until I realized she was takling about my weight. Last I checked, I was still here,

I've also gotten "Yeah, you were -big-"
  • Mimmaw
    Options
    I get 'OMG, did you mean to lose it or did you get cancer or something'?.....and i get the ole 'what kinda pills did you take'?....so I'm either dying of cancer or a druggie!.... I just smile and say..watching my calories and having the strength to pass the junk food up...then they ask what i eat and when i say cut your portions they lose interest, lol
  • akathatoneguy
    akathatoneguy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This isn't really stupid or irritating, but my mom always thinks I've lost weight even when I haven't been losing any. :) If I was ACTUALLY losing weight whenever she notices I've "lost" weight, I'd be like 120 pounds, lol.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I get 'OMG, did you mean to lose it or did you get cancer or something'?.....and i get the ole 'what kinda pills did you take'?....so I'm either dying of cancer or a druggie!.... I just smile and say..watching my calories and having the strength to pass the junk food up...then they ask what i eat and when i say cut your portions they lose interest, lol

lol... I get the pill one & you're right as soon as you say exercise & portion control their eyes glaze over.
  • beckhole69
    beckhole69 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Someone asked if I was "pilling" and added "It's dangerous ya know." Um yeah no just the good old treadmill.

I don't mind if people say "Oh you've lost weight!" It's nice it's noticeable. If I get any worried comments one day I'll kick them in the face.

What's even more annoying is when certain people make absolutely no comment on it at all, or say "I think you may have lost a little weight... yeah maybe off your legs....I think..."

I've 30lbs you jealous cow!
  • joyfuljoy65
    joyfuljoy65 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    "What's your secret?!"

Urgh. And after telling them that it is all dedication, healthy eating and exercise, they just raise their brows in disbelief.

oh yes - this one. They say - have you not tried Raspberry Ketone tea - or the 5/2 diet - then? When I say no, I just ate less and moved more - they sigh - people just want a quick fix (I know I used to!). They have to be at the right place in their lives to realise that it may take a bit of time and a bit of work to do 'this'.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Totally. I told all my friends I'm on this great weight loss plan called ELMM!!! I had a whole bunch of people say, "ooooh, what diet is that?" "what do you eat?" do you have to do some crazy shake?" Nope, just eat less , move more.

I'm on the CRIM plan

C alorie
    R estriction
    I creased
    M ovement
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    When I was fat, and got skinnier, they said I wasn't eating. Then, when I got jacked, they said I was eating...steroids. There's no winning with some people.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    "What's your secret?!"

Urgh. And after telling them that it is all dedication, healthy eating and exercise, they just raise their brows in disbelief.

oh yes - this one. They say - have you not tried Raspberry Ketone tea - or the 5/2 diet - then? When I say no, I just ate less and moved more - they sigh - people just want a quick fix (I know I used to!). They have to be at the right place in their lives to realise that it may take a bit of time and a bit of work to do 'this'.

Yep, everyone's like "Angela lost a bunch of weight...so she probably doesn't eat pizza anymore, I'm sure she's doing Paleo"

Nope!
  • creech6317
    creech6317 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    My daughter was up visiting our family in another state. None of my family have seen me in a number of years. When she showed them pictures of me the first thing out of their mouths was asking her if I was on drugs. :huh:
    I mean really :angry: :grumble:
    I have worked hard for over a year to get this weight off me.
    She was irritated by them and their comments and told them that she was offended by the question and that I had worked really hard to get the weight off.

Is it any wonder I haven't been up to visit in almost 10 years?!
    My daughter is the best!:flowerforyou:
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law, with whom I have a very pleasant though periodically sitcom-esque relationship, has taken to complimenting my husband on his weight loss every time she sees him and saying nothing to me other than a standard greeting. That’s just fine. The problem is that he hasn't lost any weight. In fact, he’s put on weight. I’m not offended; I’m just…perplexed. I will, however, take this over her previous response, which was to congratulate me on my weight loss then use that as a segue to bemoan her own weight issues. I’m beginning to suspect that people are weirdies.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    my favorite so far has been the whispered "are you sick?" because yeah...if i was...i would want to talk to you about it weirdo nosey person at work!!!
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm maintaining so I don't get that many comments anymore. But they still come.
    I get "I guess you're done losing." or "It's about time you stopped"
    People don't ask me if I'm sick. They go round about & ask another friend if I'm sick. Wonder why they're so indirect. Maybe they don't want to hurt my feelings.

Then they tell me "I wish I could lose weight. I know you eat healthy. But it's so expensive to do that." I tell them how it's not that hard to make changes to eat healthy & cut out some of the processed foods. And it isn't expensive. When you cut out processed foods & substitute fresh foods it's, in fact, cheaper. And moderation is the key. End of my advice to them.

The tools are there for them if they want to use them.
  • frommetobetterme
    frommetobetterme Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law, with whom I have a very pleasant though periodically sitcom-esque relationship, has taken to complimenting my husband on his weight loss every time she sees him and saying nothing to me other than a standard greeting. That’s just fine. The problem is that he hasn't lost any weight. In fact, he’s put on weight. I’m not offended; I’m just…perplexed. I will, however, take this over her previous response, which was to congratulate me on my weight loss then use that as a segue to bemoan her own weight issues. I’m beginning to suspect that people are weirdies.

Don't you know that this is the olden days when wives were their husbands possessions?

So therefore, if you lose weight, it means he lost weight, as long as he doesn't put more on than you lose, you're golden! :p
  • sjfugatt1
    sjfugatt1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I lost 100 pounds on WW, people always made comments to me like "Omg, you look anorexic!" and "Are you sick or something because you've lost way too much weight?" I felt good about losing the weight, but it also caused me to feel bad about myself because I didn't want to appear sick or anorexic, only healthy. I eventually gained all 100 pounds back, plus some, and it's such a struggle to get it off again. Don't let people get in your head with their inconsiderate remarks. I sure which I hadn't. Good luck and God bless.
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    People always stay stupid things. I was at my goal weight and some skinny snot told me to keep working because the last 10 pounds are the hardest. I was so offended, I guess I wasn't thin enough for her. BTW she was not all that.

That doesn't sound snotty at all, sounds like she was trying to be encouraging. You sound a bit jealous there seeing as how you called her a skinny snot and then saying she's not all that. Don't let people get to you so much.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Since I eat better now and it's noticeable because of a lot of fruits and veggies the #1 question I get is. Are you still on the diet? Lol
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When she showed them pictures of me the first thing out of their mouths was asking her if I was on drugs.

Now THAT'S offensive....lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!