Ever been described as "stocky"? How about "chubby"?

Options

Replies

• tinyzombie
    tinyzombie Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Oh! And one more: when I was a pre-teen, that was the only time in my life I've ever been a genuinely HEALTHY weight... my grandma would take me shopping for clothes and insisted I couldn't fit in anything smaller than a men's large in tee shirts. Really?! I was probably 130lbs, 5'3". I look back at pictures and cringe because those shirts just hung off of me, and I've always wondered if I would have kept that small figure, had I not been so convinced I was already overweight, due to her constant lecturing and nit-picking.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    5'6" 158 lbs. I don't get stocky or chubby. I get "When are you expecting?"

:/
  • samjoy
    samjoy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I can relate to so many of the posts. I have been called fat by family and told that if I was thin I was good looking enough to stop traffic (lol)

I have had the ex bf who when he told me he was interested and wanted to date me (I had a big time crush) also told me he was embarrassed because his friends thought I was fat. Shame on me for still dating him then although he is history now!

I have a husband who has told me he is not attracted to me since I've gained weight and yes I'm still married to him (spot a pattern maybe?)

The most hurtful comment was when I was in college - I was liked to an elephant - on stage as a part of a impromptu stand up act where they were poking fun at kids in the college. I am 5'3" and was about 150 then!
  • m00tmike
    m00tmike Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm always called "big Mike". I'm only 5' 9" so clearly my bigness isn't from height. What really gets me is that these are total strangers saying it. So it's not like its a close friend or relative who I know and trust. On the good side though I plan on losing my weight and getting ripped so at that point "big Mike" will be a good thing.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    "Chubby" and "stocky" would have been considered compliments for most of my life, considering I was 250lbs in high school and 300lbs by 30.

None of it ever hurt my feelings. I wasn't in denial about being fat. In fact, I sorta embraced it - was kinda proud to be a big guy. I got tired of it eventually and decided that those days will always be behind me. Being the big, ripped/strong guy is more my speed now ;)
  • cherylryder71
    cherylryder71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    An ex used to call it my "winterness".. like I was building up fat to hibernate. He said it while we were alone and I repeated it to our gang of friends one night when we were all out for coffee, he got all red and told me I wasn't supposed to repeat it. He knew it was wrong to say it, but he didn't know how ok I was with my body at the time. I thought it was pretty creative and didn't take offense, at the time I was around 40 lbs overweight and okay with it. 15 years later and I'm topping 250 at 5"7' and was just recommended MyFitnessPal, it's shed a lot of light over the week I've used it... hopefully I can shed a few pounds too.

The worst was a friend, or so I thought. She always wanted to get fast food when I was around and would call me just for that reason. I was hurt when I realized it, she'd made assumptions about me and my weight and used it to make herself feel better when she wanted to eat fast food. I'm a night eater and that what gets me in trouble.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I was called zoftig once by a customer. I smiled and said "thank you". He told me it wasn't meant as a compliment. I smiled and said "I wasn't thanking you for a compliment, I was thanking you for being an adorable old cranky man." He shut up after that.
  • slimandfab13
    slimandfab13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've been called chubby and fat a lot of times. I am 5'7" tall and weigh 170 lbs but i am now classified as overweight. It hurts me that even people I care about call me those names "matter-of-factly". My mom does that often to push me to start losing weight. I have called her off more than once for it, telling her that her words offend me. It's the same in my workplace, my co-workers would make me the butt of several jokes and it hurts. Sometimes, I show them that I don't mind, I just laugh along. But you see, reality really hurts and I only have myself to turn that around. So here I am, hoping to lose 40 lbs because I wanna prove to everyone, including myself, that I can win this journey.

Good luck to us all. :)
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    I'm always called "big Mike". I'm only 5' 9" so clearly my bigness isn't from height. What really gets me is that these are total strangers saying it. So it's not like its a close friend or relative who I know and trust. On the good side though I plan on losing my weight and getting ripped so at that point "big Mike" will be a good thing.

Oh wow, isn't it true? I think this is a thing about being male and overweight... people think they can openly call you big to your face, like it is your title or something. A typical example like I was with my friends, and there was a guy there who was friends with one of my friends, and he said to me like 'OK big fella', and I am only 5'7 so definitely not height. It's like 'Hi, you're fat.', that is how I hear it. I think as I say this tends to be a male thing- that people say things like this not meaning to be rude, like they imagine you wouldn't be offended by it. I just find it really embarrassing.
  • AtlantisLoss
    AtlantisLoss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    With an open Asian family, commenting on other peoples weight and body shape is generally accepted and even seen as showing concern about someone else. (Tho I'm sometimes skeptical)
    (Please read the following with a bit of humor)

'Woah, you've put on sooooooo much weight'

(calls over other family members) 'Look at big she's grown'

'How big is your thigh? If we cooked you up, we could eat for months!'

'Give me some of your fat to put onto my boobs'

'You don't need this.' (steals best part of meal from my plate) 'Here, I'll help you'

'Move dat fat *kitten*' (Goes on to accompany me on a walk or exercise routine) :)

What they say may sometimes sound harsh, I still really love them. :heart: We're a close knit family, and I know they've got my back (except when it comes to food.) :tongue:

I only get annoyed when other Asians/people outside my family or close friends comment on my weight. :grumble:
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Cuddly and that is after I had lost 57lbs with just 8 lbs to go:(
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Even now some people still call me plump, chubby, etc...
  • IffaRazak
    IffaRazak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am 5"4 and my current weight is 173 pounds. I've been struggling with my weight problem for almost my entire life, from high school to university (which I'm pursuing in Bachelor right now). I wasn't that heavy back in high-school, but I gained almost 40 pounds when I continued my study in university. Reason might be because my mother didn't really buy us any fast-food meals back when I still live in my family, like we have it twice a month only. Once I got accepted in Uni and am able to buy all the food on my own, the urge was a little bit insane which made me spent a lot on fast food hence the weight gain.

Currently I'm really trying shed all those pounds that I gain from over-eating as I'm tired living in an unhealthy life-style. I want to be able to wear clothes that I want and not feel easily tired after doing some exercises! :D
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I used to walk dogs in DC. One day I was out with Charlie (an awesome labradoodle), minding my own business, when a lady a block away flags me down. She walks towards me and starts yelling at me that I'm fat, ugly, pasty, and "a chubby *****" among other really hurtful things. I just stood there in shock. At the end I said, "What did I do to you?" and she said, "You exist." After she walked away I literally cried all the way back to Charlie's home and sporadically for the next couple of days. It was one of the most random, hurtful events to happen to me and it only lasted 5 minutes. I've been overweight all of my life but I'm a genuinely nice, caring, and funny person and have never really been made fun of, or picked on for it. This stranger, out of the blue, truly despised me. It's been years and it still sticks with me --- "you exist".

Sorry to make the post kinda dark, but It feels good to get this off my chest. I've been too embarrassed about the event to tell anyone but my mom.

What a nasty thing to do! People are just vile sometimes.

I've had them all over the years but I've always had a go back at the person giving it, because they are usually good at dishing it out but can't take it when it's directed at them.

that is the most horrible thing I have ever heard! that is weightism (I think I just invented that one) and is as bad as true racism! surely she was mentally ill!? or maybe just pure evil walking!

When I married the DH 40 years ago I was already just a little OW. Gained 10lbs during the honey moon! The hubby liked it. After all he had been feeding me chocolate and taking me out for meals and acting all wounded if I didn't eat it all for three years before. ( And before any one judges me for "taking it" and I was responsible for what I put in my mouth, please know, I started dating him at 14 and came from a home with a control freak father and a passive, oppressed mother.) ANYWAY, the DH's new form of endearment was "Chunky Honey" even in front of his family. Why the hell I stayed married to him after that can only be explained by the previous comment about my parents I guess. He is always miserable when I take charge of my weight and health but I keep trying. This time I WILL DO IT. And he can just pout!
  • butterflies02875
    butterflies02875 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good Morning. I have been called it all. I was 375 at one point in my life the looks I would get the under the hand comments. The pretty chubby girl.. Wow she is so obese. Wow look at the blimp.. Hey porky.. It really hurts too.. I
  • butterflies02875
    butterflies02875 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow that women has some serious issues.. I am so sorry you had to ever go thru sometime like that..

God bless
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    5'3", highest weight was 215. I worked in Holland as an au pair for a year and the children used to call me "dikka, dikka, dikka" which means "fatty, fatty,fatty" but is apparently a term do endearment in Dutch.

Also, the mother of the family I worked for told me one day that I was normal sized in America but fat in the Netherlands, and I was like, "nope, i'm fat everywhere I go."
  • KayLasMack
    KayLasMack Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'3" my highest weight was 234lbs. I've been called thick.. in my own mind I look at that comment like:ohwell: . But to be honest, you gotta love the comments from kids because they will not lie to you about your size. They will flat out tell you that you're fat. lol. I remember my fiancé's son flat out telling me, "You're Fat!" Of course my fiancé was a little mad at him for saying so but I was like, "Hey, maybe he's onto something!" lol
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hello loves! I'm 5'3 and I started out at 180 (currently 140) and before I lost the weight I had a friend who hadn't seen me in a long time say "Damn girl! You got thick!" I was like .... Thanks a**hole. My sister in law told me, after having my 1st son, "Whitney, your not that fat" again I had a few choice words for her. Just recently my Aunt who hasn't seen me in like 2 years told my mom that I was too big boned to be skinny. And when I was about ... 17 a girl I went to school with had a crush on one of my best friends, who happened to live with me and I overheard someone telling her that he and I shared an apartment together, she said "Oh, he lives with the fat girl?"
    I don't typically care what anyone else thinks about me. I spent my teen years worrying about what everyone else thought and being hurt that I could never seem to fit everyone elses standards, so now at 25 I said EFF it! If you don't like me .. peace. lol Feel free to add me ladies! We can reach our goals together!
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I went to pick up a part for one of the ex-boyfriends and when I walked in they knew who I was because he told them to look for the fluffy one and my grandmother always told me I had breeder hips and would not have any problems in childbirth and while she was right that one stung a little