Did you keep or get rid of your fat clothes?

Options

Replies

• buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I totally got rid of them!! I lost about 80lbs... and I DEFINITELY got rid of the biggest stuff. I guess i Have a few pieces that were my 'transition' clothes, from about 15lbs ago, but it sucks because they are practically new!!! So I have a few things- but I went from a size 18/20 (US) in pants to an 8 or 10. I will NEVER wear an 18/20 again. And I had to get rid of the 1X tops and shirts, since about 1/2 my weight loss came form my boobs. Haha! j/k.... but I DID shrink a lot up top - so shirts had to go!!!
    I say get rid of them-- why keep them as a fall back-- if you don't ever intend to fall back!
    Good riddance!
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Ill keep it for my pregnancy.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    These days I don't like to keep anything in my closet that doesn't fit - be it too big or too small. Getting rid of all my "big clothes" was like telling myself there's no way I'm going back to that.
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Once it's too big for me to wear, I get rid of it and do not want to fit into it ever again.

This
  • andywhamilton
    andywhamilton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I bought a new suit yesterday, I've gone from a 42" waist pair of trousers to a slight 'snug' 38" - very chuffed! But now I will be wearing several oversized suits and one right fitting suit at work. Better get saving .........
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I happily gave mine to GoodWill as they got too big. Keeping them would have felt like giving myself permission to get fat again. If I allow that to happen, then shame on me, and I deserve to have to spend the extra money to accommodate it. Don't make getting fat again easy for yourself.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine right away, except for the "before" pants. I sort of saved a "before" shirt too - it used to be one of my favorite t-shirts to wear in the summer but now it's my sleep shirt. :)

If they're in good enough shape, donate to Goodwill or Salvation Army or even sell online or at a consignment shop.

If they're in poor shape, use as rags or dirty job (cleaning, painting, etc) clothes.
  • luciebam88
    Options
    When I reach my goal I am going to keep the item of clothing that looks the biggest, so that I can look and it will remind me of what I don't want to go back to!
  • QuirkyD
    QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Although I still have more to lose, I got rid of the biggest pants for the first time. I used to just put them in a box in the attic. I am finally in a new place mentally and it is wonderful!
  • LogiesMom09
    LogiesMom09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I bought a sewing machine and altered the really nice pieces. The trick to altering was to be sure to cut out the excess fabric so there was no room for letting them out. I want to be able to notice immediately if I'm gaining weight by the fit of my clothes. I sold some in yard sales, gave some to family/friends, and donated others. Either way, I only have my current size in my closet. I don't want any "just in case" clothes because I've worked to hard and come to far to allow myself to go backwards.
  • XorangecrushX
    Options
    I got rid of them and it felt great! Then gained weight back and had to buy bigger clothes again, which felt NOT SO GREAT
    :embarassed:
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Realistically thinking, I won't keep the weight off forever. Others manage but I don't think I will. So I'm keeping my things. Also I love wearing big comfy clothes. I also kept far too small clothes for years because I thought I'd need them again.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Starting to develop a collection of clothes that no longer fit...(too big thankfully)

I've been up and down in my weight the past 15 years or so, with a waist size ranging from 33 to 42. In light of that I am tempted to keep my "fat clothes" , even though I think this time I am going to keep the weight off for good..

I donated them gave them away and or threw them out.

They did not fit anymore. Why keep them?
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    cant wait to get into the smaller clothes.. shame to waste the big clothes.. if i ever throw them out, i hope i never grow back into them. will be exciting to wear some smaller sizes, buying those - i will never look back!
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My thinking always used to be to keep one size higher than my current size, in case I slipped backwards slightly. But I finally ditched the bigger sizes last year (I'd lost 2 sizes in 2009, so I'd tossed the largest size already but kept the intermediate size for 3 years), and I have to say, it's when the current size were getting too tight that I was finally forced to face facts and joined MFP.

So for me, not having bigger clothes worked to keep me accountable.
  • loriwhitefaith
    loriwhitefaith Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    get rid of them fast as you can :-)
  • calliekitten9
    calliekitten9 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

The pile I was left with was pretty small but I am adding some new bits and pieces as I go. Actually, one of the frustrating things about this process is that I cannot afford new clothes for each stage so even now, I am wearing clothes that fitted nicely after that first 20lb lost and now don't fit after the second 20lb lost!

I guess if this is the worst thing about weight loss, I can deal with it. It is so nice to have some clothes that are too big for a change, rather than too small but it would be nice to be able to show off my newly found waist a bit more! Lol! :laugh:

I only shop at Thrift Stores...you can get some awesome clothes for really inexpensive prices. I never go to the mall anymore.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I too have a collection of clothes that are now too big. I plan to sell some online or at a garage sale. What doesn't sell will find its way to Goodwill.
  • vabheegaard
    Options
    Got rid of them all!!!!!!!!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine. I didn't want them lingering in the closet "just in case". As I find things getting too big, I get rid of them. I really have too much stuff as it is, so it's been a great excuse to downsize!
This discussion has been closed.