Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• lmackbethl
    Options
    @Karen -- enjoy the zombie run! do I remember correctly that it corresponds with your birthday or was that some other race? :drinker:
    @Kelley -- great nsv!! glad they are seeing your amazing progress! when you're stressed, just remember you will be bathing-suit-clad-and-cruise-bound in no time!!
    @susan -- sounds like a lot of stress in your life too -- I hope the Chicago weekend is a relaxing one! Does your sister live with you? Is that how you manage all the business travel with Cyrus?
    @Kaye - I like Laurie's idea of a dinner sign-up sheet... no reservation, no meal! I hope you find something to reduce the knee pain... :flowerforyou:
    @laurie and gorilla -- just curious, if you don't like running, why do you do it? there are so many other cardiovascular possibilities... is there something special about running? my pop's a runner, but he loves it. I keep thinking I "should" run, but i'm not really sure why. swimming and biking and kayaking and hiking are really my things... of course, to do a swim event, you usually have to do a tri, which requires running. perhaps I just need to find a tri-relay team. any interest?

over the past 1+year, mfp has taken the mystery out of weight loss for me... stay within my limits, I lose. not always at the rate I want, but consistently, nonetheless. the past month or so has taken the mystery out of weight gain... go over my limits more often than not, I gain.... much faster than I lose, alas. 11 pounds over my lowest ticker weight, and 13 pounds over my lowest scale weight (wasn't on a ticker-day). well, I really need to get a handle on this. a small slide is manageable, but i need to stop it now! the past few weeks have been crazy busy and stressful, and work is kicking my butt at the moment, but it's no excuse... so Saturday success was early morning shopping to buy fresh fruit and veggies and ingredients for healthy meals.,, the ticker reflects today's weight, and i can't wait to see it start moving downward again! a little focus, now!!!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    mackbeth - its good to see you again - I agree, its a shame we gain weight so much faster than we lose it. But you are doing wonderfully. 74 lbs is nothing to sneeze at ! :love: And this winter, I hope that chasing your kid(s) will give you lots of activitys to make up for the loss of swimming outside. Maybe by some stroke of luck you'll meet someone with a salt-water pool ! Hey, maybe even advertise - offer to help maintain it for the chance to swim in it!

I am down another 1.8 lbs this week and happy about it. Today I bake dessert for a luncheon I'm going to tomorrow at my nephews with my sister, who is making her famous potato salad. Tomorrow needless to say, I am going to use some banked calories, so I need to do some extra exercising today. And I need to get out and do some clothes shopping desperately. I am so out of clothes to wear its dog-gone funny - all my pants have droopy-butt really bad! :laugh: I start my volunteer job Tuesday and have nothing to wear!
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy weekend! My Saturday success is just that this has been a really great week. I'm taking up running once again and my daughter signed us up for a 5K at the end of October. I'm actually doing a 10K progression plan for training as I'm a notch above doing the walk/run intervals of C25K, and just feel that I need to increase length of my runs as the breathing gets easier. The last time I tried this was in spring and I couldn't run a half mile without stopping. Now that I've realized my legs won't fall off, and my lungs won't explode, this week I've done 1.5 and 1.65 miles. Tomorrow, we go for 2 miles.

I love this ladies story, she is a true success! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1087618-obese-sedentary-to-marathon-runner

I've printed out calendar pages through the end of the year with my running plan and Zumba days and rest days all laid out. I'm working on planning a cruise for next spring and I think it's just the motivation that I need to keep the eating in check and get the scale moving a little bit faster. A cruise was my motivation when I started this whole journey. So glad I didn't lose my motivation once that vacation was over.

Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend, the weather is amazing here in MO.
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Well, I need to go out and buy a dunce cap because I didn't think about the heating difference time between my new stove and my old recipe for my dessert - it became an epic fail - and I ended up putting it down the garbage disposal a short while ago when I cut into it and discovered it was undercooked throughout and couldn't be saved since I had let it cool for two hours before checking :huh: if I felt better I'd go to the store tonight and get the ingredients and try again, but I'm not up to it. Its going to be a store-bough dessert tomorrow on the way there. At least I'll have a good story to tell at lunch tomorrow.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Beth-According to my trainer running is the best exercise and improves your overall fitness level. The idea of a relay team for a tri-event sounds like a good idea and I would be interested. We need to rope in one of the runners in the group either Kelly or Karen. It is sad that for a triathlon you usually need to choose between swimming or kayaking and running is always involved. What part of Vermont are you in? Next summer, I am seriously considering bike trip around Vermont and would love to meet up with you.

Kelly, Hope the migraine has gone away. That is a tough way to take a rest day. Stress is devil of a thing to deal with and causes many unwanted problems.

Robin- Congrats on dropping another pound. Keep working out.

Pie- Great job with the running.

Karen- Hope the Zombie run went well.

My trainer completed the Chesapeake Endurance Festival Triathlon today, Skipjack division. She came in first place in her age group. Every time she does this I feel inspired to do a triathlon and would like to but the thought of it scares me. The distances were a 1.2 mile swim, 67 mile bike and a 10 mile run. This event took place in Cambridge Maryland, which is flat but has a strong headwind at times. I am truly impress by this accomplishment. I just hope that I do well in my 5K next week.

I have graded the quizzes and now I need to grade the rest of the papers. So I need to go now.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys--I survived the Zombie race!! Actually, I lost all of my "life" flags, so I finished "infected." Nonetheless, I finished. It was a lot of fun, but all of the sprinting from the zombies really took its toll. I am used to running at a slow, steady pace, not dodging the undead at high speed!.

@laurie--glad you enjoyed the day off and have gotten through some training. I'm sure you'll do great at your 5k next weekend. I would definitely be interested in doing a relay, but not sure how we would work that out since you, me, and beth are all over the place. Maybe we could find something on the east coast and I could come out for a visit? I already have 2 trips (both destination weddings) planned for next summer, so not really sure I could afford another trip. It's something to keep in mind for the future though. :smile:

Oh, and though I agree with beth that if you don't like running there are plenty of other exercises, I also will say it took about 6 months of running (and NOT loving it) before I really fell in love with it. So I guess my advice is to do it a bit longer before writing it off. I also know you want to do a tri--so maybe training for that will change your view of running.

@robin--between your hip pain and your baking fiasco, you aren't having a great day. I predict tomorrow will be better--and yes, you will have a funny story to share. :laugh:

@pie--glad you are enjoying the running--and a cruise would be a great motivator. Tomorrow, the DH and I are booking our trip to Punta Cana next summer. I'm going to use it as a motivator to start pushing myself more at the gym.

@beth--you have a great memory! My birthday isn't until next monday (9/30), but the Zombie 5k was my b-day present to myself and I invited friends to do it with me as a sort of birthday celebration. Only a couple of friends came which I completely understand since the registration fee was $85--kind of pricey if you don't love running through mud being chased by scary zombies. :laugh:

As for the weight gain, at least you've caught it and can turn it around now. I'm also struggling scale-wise. I upped my calories a month ago and everything I read said I would have an initial 5 lb gain and then the scale would start moving down again. Well, I've gained the 5 lbs and now I'm just stuck. :grumble: Everything I read also said to give my body 6-8 weeks to adjust to the calorie change, so I'm trying to be a patient Grasshopper. :ohwell:

@kelley--congrats on the compliments!! No, they never do get old! :wink:

@tracy--no Bears/Vikings this week, so we are friends again! :tongue:

(more) Friday Fitness:
    One thing I learned from today is I definitely need to add some sprints into my workout--may start doing HIIT a couple of days a week on the treadmill. It seems like a good time to do this since I will soon find myself running indoors more and more due to weather. I also need to use the incline more--I'm such a wimp when it comes to hills! :blushing:

Saturday Success:
    Well, finishing today was a success, but I am already starting to stiffen up. I will pay for this race tomorrow! I already have scrapes and bruises all over my knees and elbows from all of the obstacles. :drinker: The good news is I'm not nearly as sore as I was after the Rugged Maniac--today's obstacles were much easier even if those sprints were killer.

Tomorrow I will focus on grading. :noway:

Exercise goals:
    Mon-walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Tues--run outside w/ gunner NOT DONE but did a 2 mile walk instead
    Wed--walk gunner + gym NOT DONE ran outside w/ gunner instead
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Fri--rest day DONE but did walk gunner
    Sat--Run For Your Lives!!! DONE + walk gunner DONE (yes, he insisted on a walk when I got home!)
    Sun--we'll see...pretty sure this will be a rest day.

Grading Goals:
    1. 2/73 AP essays
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! I'm not real happy with myself the last couple of days, as far as food choices goes. It seems really easy for me to give in to temptation. School is starting for me, so this is where it gets more challenging for me. The good news is that I am taking a nutrition class, where we will actually create a fitness plan for ourselves. So for around 16 hours a week, I will be focusing on health and wellness... that will help, right? :ohwell: Hope so. I am tired of being tired. I am tired of finding excuses not to follow the steps to be the person I want to be.

Kinda venting I guess... I know the right thing to do. I just need to make it a priority. I deserve to be healthy.

Thanks for listening. :flowerforyou:
  • lmackbethl
    Options
    @laurie and karen -- perhaps we could meet in western ohio or eastern pennsylvania for a tri-relay in 2014? I'd be totally up for any distance swim, including the full-2.4 miles... of course that one comes with a 112-mile bike (laurie) and a full marathon (karen), so we might want to start a little smaller. :laugh: Heck, I'd be totally down for this one in two weeks, in Laurie's backyard... http://rev3tri.com/half-full/races-hf/olympic-rev/ I bet there are fare specials this time of year from Chicago to Baltimore, plus we could have a belated birthday celebration :wink:
    @laurie - thanks for the info on running - i always thought of swimming as the best exercise/overall fitness improver, but i suppose running works too. Good job getting some of your grading done. I live in Connecticut, but that's definitely on the way to Vermont. You could totally stop by as you head to or from the bike trip. A friend and I are hoping to buy a farm in Vermont as soon as we can work out the financials... she wants to get a little land (total farmer at heart and has been working/learning at other peoples' farms for the past 9 years), but doesn't have the money/resources to do it on her own and I want a quiet, secluded cabin in the woods (near a pond or lake) for retreat and writing space, but don't have the money/resources to do it on my own... so together, we should both be able to achieve our hearts' desires. Hopefully. With some luck and blessings. By next summer, we hope.
    @karen - six months of not-loving running?! yikes. well maybe i will give it a try someday... congrats on finishing the race and managing some sprints!!! (even if the undead infected and bruised you) :noway:
    @robin - sometimes the best-laid plans go awry, eh? darn new oven. well, store-bought desserts can be delightful too. good job getting your exercise in so you can enjoy the lunch tomorrow, and CONGRATS on your continued scale success! Seems that you've got this figured out! I wish a salt-water pool would work, but I've heard that they just convert the salt into chlorine (it's not at all like ocean-swimming, which is what i had hoped), so it seems unlikely that I could swim in that - darn anaphylactic shock. i can do baqucil, but it's more expensive and tends to gum up the pool-works, so most folks don't use it. I will have to turn to hiking (which will make the dogs happy) and biking and kayaking for the fall months and wii fit, snow-shoeing, or a (dreaded) gym for the winter. someday i will buy my swim-spa which i will run with an oxidizer or some baquacil or something that lets me breathe. Or maybe I should just move south - too bad my friend wants to go even futher north for our farm. :ohwell:
    @pie - thanks for the post - inspiring story, indeed! perhaps all you budding runners will motivate me yet! and hey, great job booking another cruise for continued motivation! that will be such a great reward!
    @tammy - i know you will post less now that your DH is home, but still hope to hear from you from time-to-time. Enjoy your month together!!!!
    @tracy - good luck with starting to lift! you can conquer your fears and do this!!! it's really never quite as bad as our minds make it out to be! funny story? when i bought my kayaks I was over the weight limit (I think the posted limit was 300 pounds and i was around 330)... of course, i had no idea what the weight limit really meant... would the kayak be a little less steady or would it sink to the bottom of the river the minute i sat in it? so the first time i tried it, i put it in the canal-to-nowhere (no longer maintained) in my back yard, so that no one would see whatever misery would befall me. the kayak rode a bit lower than it should have, but maneuvered fine, and the next time i took it to a public boat launch so i could paddle farther than 100 yards. :laugh: i was over the weight limit for the first three years, but it never stopped me. i'm also sure i've looked completely ridiculous out huffing and puffing up mountains on my week-long pacific crest trail backpacking trips (i was over 300 pounds for all of those too), and they (plus my overnight appalachian trail hike) have been excruciatingly difficult at times, but they've also been soul-restoring (I love nature), confidence-building, and inspiring to others. Still, each time i go, i'm all like, "sheesh, beth, you are undoubtedly the fattest woman on this 2,650 mile trail... what are you thinking?" and then I'm all like, "so what's your point, beth? i'm a bad-*kitten* hiker girl!" Sometimes i just have to talk back to my negative self. :laugh: In thru-hiking, there is an expression - HYOH (Hike Your Own Hike)... don't worry about how fast or far other people are going - do your own thing. of course, the thru-hiking community is extremely supportive of one another - and everyone i've run into on the trail - or who encountered my 74-year-old father this summer -- has been super complimentary and nice. Everyone should behave like distance hikers... then the world would be a truly lovely place. but i've totally digressed and gone on and on about me. Tracy - my point is that the boat won't sink to the bottom of the river, and even if it does, someone will be there to help you up -- so go run, lift, play basketball, and skate to your heart's content!!!
    @tom - are you still stuck in the 260s? i got out of them... unfortunately in the wrong direction. :grumble: perhaps we could try together to get below 250 by year's end? i love a good challenge....

well, i haven't been posting much lately, but i have been reading daily.... you all inspire me, through your successes AND challenges. a couple NSV's from august that i don't think i reported... I went white-water rafting on the Colorado river!! Whoot-Whoot!!! Tons of fun! And swimming in a mountain lake! And hiking five miles up a mountain! It's so hard to breathe above 9000, even the swimming was a challenge - the hiking was oh-my-goodness-i-don't-think-i-can-take-another-step-and-oh-crap-that's-fresh-bear-scat-better-keep-moving difficult -- but i did it! I also found hobo hot springs (my not-so-new-anymore profile picture), which is absolutely amazing and free... the first day we had it all to ourselves, but the second day, just as we walked up, a boat with four fit guys - probably river guides - pulled up. i was all like, "oh, no... i soooo wanted to take a soak." then i was all like, "heck, yes, i'm taking a soak. if they don't like it they can leave." and i stripped down to the bathing suit and took a dip. and they didn't stay long, but i don't think it was because we were there, but even if it was, who cares? and for my last nsv (this is two-months worth to report, lol), when my SIL and niece visited, we went to the adventure park near my house, where i (almost successfuly) completed 3 of 5 ropes/zip-line courses. OMG! Talk about a core/arm work-out!!!! Laurie, I thought of you and all your climbing... obviously, the ropes courses are not at all the same as your rock-walls, but i bet they work some of the same muscle groups and provide some of the same challenges. I say I "almost successfuly" completed three courses, because i did get stuck on the zipline on the third course, after not successfully landing on the platform - bounced off, couldn't pull myself back up, and zipped back to the mid-point, sigh. and my arms were just too tired to move me. so some young, strapping lad had to come out and pull us both back, and it should have been utterly humiliating. but it wasn't. he was super nice and people were patient. and even if they were saying things under their breath or thinking them, i didn't really care. i had a blast. and next time, i will land that darn platform!!!! actually, i'm thinking about work next summer, and i'm hoping to get in shape enough that i could work there (this will require gym-membership and lots of heavy lifting) or as a lifeguard. that is, unless we are able to buy the farm, in which case, i will be working on building terraces for planting, a pond for swimming, and a little house for living in... :happy: (not-so-new ticker pic is on the farm we would like to buy)
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Kah - hope your migraine is gone by now! How's your quad?

Pie - thanks for sharing that great success story. I love reading them for inspiration. Her's was great! Your calendar pages plan sounds good for you. Keep it up just as you do logging dont get discouraged if you have to mark not done on some pages. That's just the way life is. A cruise - wow - what a great motivator! Keep lots of motivating snacks around too.

Laurie - excited by your trainer's performance at the triathalon - although I don't think its necessarily a direct challenge to you to do one! I think a 5 k is enough of a challenge for you with all your other activities. You're going to do great in your race next week! :bigsmile: I still can't believe how far you bike in one day!

Skinny - well done in the Zombie race - I didn't realize how it was run - so you had to run in bursts to escape the zombies - that makes it more challenging and fun! How many life flags did you carry? (And are you still infected? :laugh: :laugh: )

Naceto - temptations are the devil in a blue dress and I HAVE HAVE HAVE to have my "diet snacks" handy at all times so I don't cheat on myself . Last night I ran out of my Fiber one90 cal. brownies - of which I eat one or two a night, and there I was = I was like a wolf attacking a package of hamburger buns because I wanted carbs. They didn't satisfy me so I kept going back and nibbling on the buns - it was a fiasco! So I'm saying, you have to have your correct foods handy at all times.

mackbeth - reading your post is like reading a travelogue for adventurous women - I want to do EVERYTHING YOU DO !!!! I only lack the money and ambition and guts and ..... and..... and....nerve! :laugh: Perhaps being 62 and in pain IS an excuse for now, but when I come into some money I'm going to give some of those things a shot. I definitely want to try kayaking!
    And when my arms are stronger, zip lining!

OK - I couldn't stand living with my culinary disaster, so I got up this morning, went to the grocery store, got brand new fixings for my dessert recipe, and baked my dessert all over again, this time setting the oven 5 degrees hotter and setting the timer 5 minutes longer. WHen I smelled something burning a little, I knew it was done! HOORAY !!!! I've checked the bottom of the dish, and its not really burned but its done to a crisp, so I can present it to my relatives and hold my head up high! I feel so much better :blushing: .

Oh, I got my squats done yesterday.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @robin--glad your dessert worked out the second time around! :drinker: The way the zombi run works is you start with 3 flags on your belt (like for flag football). The course has areas where you are running and then you' will come upon an obstacle like hay bales to climb over, or barbed wire to crawl under through the mud. That's what scrapes up the knees is all of the crawling through the rocky mud. In addition, there are areas where you have to run through a gauntlet of zombies. They are gathered together in a stretch of the course and you have to sprint through to keep them from getting your flags. If my sore body is any sign, I would say I'm still infected. :laugh:

@beth--I'm jealous of your adventures as well! I plan to do a white water raft trip and try zip-lining at some point--I don't have anything planned right now, but those are both activities I've always wanted to try. Another is shark diving which I'm hoping to do next summer on my trip to Punta Cana. Also, I never have any intention of running a full marathon, but I love your confidence in my ability to do so. :laugh: Seriously the 6.5 miles for that Revolution one is more my speed (and trust me, I would have to work up to that!). I can't do it this year b/c I already have a 5k on the October 4th, but maybe we could try to plan for it next fall?

@nicole--I agree with robin about keeping the healthy snacks at hand--I am the worst if I don't get to the grocery store. I'm struggling right now as well--I've upped my protein and am usually under my calorie goal, but I'm still not losing. I'm going to give my current calorie allowance a couple more weeks, but if there's no change I will be making another adjustment. :grumble:

Sunday Share:
    I don't think there are a lot of newlings this week, but just in case, I'm Karen. I'm 43 though today this body is feeling about 90! You know you're getting older when it's your joints that hurt after a race rather than your muscles. This is another reason I want to do more heavy lifting--the stronger my muscles are, the less stress on my aging joints. That being said, I'm skipping the gym today but will surely take gunner for his walk. Otherwise it's a grading day for me, but 1st I'm going to book our trip to Punta Cana! :flowerforyou:

Exercise goals:
    Mon-walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Tues--run outside w/ gunner NOT DONE but did a 2 mile walk instead
    Wed--walk gunner + gym NOT DONE ran outside w/ gunner instead
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Fri--rest day DONE but did walk gunner
    Sat--Run For Your Lives!!! DONE + walk gunner DONE (yes, he insisted on a walk when I got home!)
    Sun--we'll see...pretty sure this will be a rest day.

Grading Goals:
    1. 2/73 AP essays
  • jones092508
    jones092508 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Would love some new friends! Daily logger, poster, commenter! lol
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: Hello to all who have joined recently -- I'm Carla, 44, from SW Missouri. Married for 20 years, 2 teenagers, and a dog. I love Zumba and am learning that I can run. Who knew? lol I don't check in here as often as I'd like to and not quite up to speed with the "personals" but I am loving the support and happy attitude I have received here on Robin's thread :) My weight loss has slowed tremendously this year and I'm working on moving my focus to fitness and health instead of the scale. Together we can do this!
  • TOPSmarca
    TOPSmarca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday all!!! I am glad to be back on here.... I only had my Kindle for a few days and the app only allows me to log.... silly me, I forget that I can use the internet setting to read posts and comment!!! LOL!
    I have been struggling lately and had to take myself in hand. I am still not eating what anyone would call healthy but am at least staying within calories. Until I get a med error fixed (I forgot to get a refill from my doc for a special formulary) this is as good as it is going to get!!! LOL! I do seem to have undone the damage of almost a week of bad behavior so evidently it was not as bad as I thought!!!
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hello all... just back from the annual show/event/camping trip. Need to catch up my logs, and catch up on your posts :)
    More as soon as possible.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks RobinsEgg and Karen, for the advice. Since school starts Monday for me, we did a BIG grocery trip and got a BUNCH of healthy snacks and stuff for lunches. I decided to focus on dry and canned goods that I can keep in my desk, the car, etc. I am hurting a lot, so haven't been back to the gym. I think that walking and yoga will have to be it for me for now... maybe I will try the gym again in a couple of months.

A couple of my online instructors released info on the class assignments a little early. This is great since the lifetime health & wellness class has a 25 page syllabus, 6 online lectures, in addition to the book reading and labs... That doesn't even cover the actual turn in assignments LOL. I wonder if schoolwork burns calories? Truly, I am excited, because of the topic, but man, it's going to be a lot of work. One of the things we will do is a FITT test, and a fitness & nutrition plan... super cool!

I may not be around a bunch, but I will check in from time to time- before I come up for air in December! :)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @nicole--it's nice that you can get a head start on some of the work for your class. Great job with the big shopping trip, too! :drinker: I wish doing schoolwork and grading burned calories!! Is any of it reading that you could do while walking on a treadmill or doing the elliptical? I'm terrible at doing that--I just like to focus on my workout. However, I see lots of people doing that at the gym, so apparently some people like it.

@vickie & marca--good to see you back--you'll have to tell us about your trips once you get caught up.

@carla--I am also trying to focus more on my fitness and health vs. the scale #--easier said than done. It's one of the reasons I want to start lifting more--I figure I can see progress in my ability to lift heavier weights and can ignore the scale #. I've also been tracking my body fat % on my home scale, but that also entails looking at my weight every day which makes it hard to downplay that number. :ohwell:

AFM--I got through 11 papers today--not ideal, but better than nothing. I also walked gunner this evening, so I got in a bit of exercise. Tomorrow I will go to the gym after work and lift. I would also like to start working on some HIIT on the treadmill--one of my goals is to beat last year's Turkey Trot time (my 5k PR) of 35:59. That means I need to improve upon my 11.5 minute mile pace. My hope is that if I focus on intervals over the next 8 weeks it will improve my speed. I'm thinking I can do HIIT 2-3 days/week and then run a full 5k once/week. Of course I will continue my lifting and ab work as well.

Also, we booked out trip to the Dominican Republic next summer. We are going for 8 nights--6/24-7/2. I also searched the internet to find someplace to go cage diving with sharks, but I found something even cooler!! You can go on a snorkeling trip and actually swim with nurse sharks and stingrays!! :noway: My husband will NOT do it with me. However, since several of my friends will be there for the wedding, I should be able to find someone who will join me; if not, I will go by myself. :tongue: Here's the link in case you want to check out:

http://www.marinarium.com/marinarium/

Exercise goals:
    Mon-walk gunner + gym (lifting and HIIT)
    Tues--walk gunner + cardio (at gym or run outside)
    Wed--walk gunner
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym (lifting and HIIT)
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym (lift + run 5k)
    Sun--walk gunner + cardio (at gym or run outside)

Grading Goals:
    1. 13/73 AP essays
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Beth- That tri sounds like fun and the bike is a very hilly course so I would need to work up to it but I could do it (hopefully in the time limit) and getting use to riding on the roads. I would be interested in doing that next year and you are right it is in my back yard. We might want to try the Ironwoman Triathlon in April or May in Cambridge, MD and Columbia also has a few other triathlons that would be good. The zip-lining trip sounds like fun and yes you do use a variety of muscles in climbing that you did not know you had. Are you good in brackish water-part salt part fresh?

I also made the argument about swimming being the best exercise overall but I was told that you don't have the resistance of weight while doing it. The water makes you weightless. Yes, it is a great exercise for endurance and overall fitness but running is better. I thought of you when I swam 1 mile yesterday and that was in a pool. Do you swim freestyle the time or mix up your strokes?

Karen-I hope we can make up a relay team and we can always share a hotel room near the event to cut costs. Great job with the Zombie run, it sounds like fun and challenging at the same time. I will continue to run so I can do a sprint triathlon next year but it seems so far off that it is hard to imagine completing a triathlon let alone training for one. Could you handle a 10 mile run? Check out the tri's near Chicago and your neck of country as well and let's see what we can find.

Karen and Beth there is a triathlon in April held at the Key School which includes a 2 mile kayak, 15 mile bike and 3.1 mile run. Key school is about 20 minutes from my house. It is a great area to run and ride around. The kayaking should also be great. I am sure they will hold it next year as well.

Naceto- 25 page syllabus- ughhh. I hope you enjoy the class and please share with us any interesting things you learn about nutrition and fitness.

Robin- Congrats on the loss. I agree that my trainer success should not influence to do something but I tend to fall into a trap. In that I want to experience that type of success in athletic events. If nothing else to prove to myself that I can accomplish a goal and overcome a challenge like running for 3.1 miles at one time.

Share- I'm Laurie and I teach 7/8 grade science. I have discovered Rock climbing, biking, swimming as the activities I love the best. My biggest challenge is building the confidence to try new activities especially on my own. Next goal is to kayak more and learn how to do it properly but that will be after I complete the 5K.

Grading goals
    Quizzes 8th Done
    quizzes 7th Done
    8th labs DONE very frustrating to grade to many redo's coming not fun.
    All grading is caught up for now.

Exercise Goals for this week
    Sunday- Bike- 7.6 miles around the neighborhood. Out on my own today and on city streets.
    Monday- Trainer workout and 5K prep
    Tuesday- Gym
    Wednesday- Rest maybe bike after work before a meeting or working late
    Thursday- REst after work meeting
    Friday- Climbing
    Saturday- Deep water aerobic or rest
    Sunday- 5K

Have a great week.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @laurie--the most I've ever run is 5 miles (8k), so by next summer I could definitely run 10k (about 6.5 miles) but probably not 10 miles. Fortunately, I believe the Sprint tri is 5k and the Olympic tri is 10k. I was looking at Ram Racing's website b/c I know they hold a tri every summer in Lake Geneva called the Bigfoot. The good news is if you and beth could get here for that one, we would have free lodging at my friend's house b/c she lives in Lake Geneva with plenty of spare room (4 bedroom/5.5 bedroom 7200 square ft house and it's just her). The bad news is that next year it is on June 22nd and I leave for Punta Cana on June 24th. :ohwell: Maybe we try for something in your neck of the woods next year and plan for the Bigfoot in 2015? Also, I didn't see anything on their website that said if we could compete as a relay team--my guess is it wouldn't matter, but we just wouldn't be allowed to medal.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check-in. It has been a mixed weekend. I did lose .8# this week. That gives me 2.6# so far for the month. Not bad considering how close I am getting to goal. I'll take any loss. Today was not a good day for my food and exercise balance. Had lots of family here, and a rather high calorie day. I did get in a good walk between lunch and dinner, but still went over a bit. Those darned almond joy cookies. Note to self: don't make them again.
    Thanks for the suggestions on meals for the family. Unfortunately, I don't think that anything will really change. I like the idea of everyone signing up in the morning, but they change their plans at the last minute. On Friday, everyone of them would have signed up because at the beginning of the day, they thought they were going to be here. Last night I had an extra one because 16-year-old grandson had a friend over at the last minute. I roll with the punches most of the time. Thanks for letting me spout anyway.
    I am in awe of all of the talk about triathlons. That just boggles my mind. I am planning to do a 5K walk the next time there is a fun run in the area. Many days I walk at least 3 miles so I know I could do it. No running for me, though.
    Here's to a good week ahead. Onward and downward. Kaye
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    Skinny - Hale bales - barbed wire - rocky mud - :noway: OMG - and then sprinting past zombies - no wonder you have scraped knees and sore muscles - do you do things like the Polar Bear Plunge too?
    I'm excited for your deep sea adventure with the sting ray - my sister did the same thing - she held one in her arms - but did not do anything with sharks., that should be thrilling moment! Go for it!

jones - welcome - I see you're a commentator - well good - we love that. And if you have questions, ask away.

pie - hello Carla. so glad your getting into fitness and health. You're an inspiration to me!

Marca - don't ya just hate not getting a refill? I do that too - :grumble: glad to know you've not fallen off the wagon, even it you've hit some ruts. Maybe you need to relax and accept some of those mistakes or whatever they were if they didn't do any permanent damage...

Vicki - welcome back !

Naceto - good luck with the school work - it sounds like a heavy load.

Laurie - I think its exciting that you and Beth and Skinnie are trying to figure out a way to compete in a triathalon together. Depending on where and when I might come and observe ! :bigsmile: