What's your average time running a 5K?

Options

Replies

• Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I run a 5K on the treadmill in 37mins. Gosh I'd be 5-7mins slower on pavement though.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    5k isn't my preferred distance. I like half marathons. But my current 5k pr is 28:01. In training I usually run 5k at or just under 27 minutes. I haven't had the chance to try it for a race yet.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    My first one, I ran in about that time - it's a good pace for a first run.
    You'll get faster as you add distance.

But if you want to run races on road, do get off the treadmill and run outdoors. It's more fun, and the transfer from treadmill to road is quite big, so worth doing regularly from the start, really.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    5ks are tough races for me. I barely warm up and then they are over. I ran 21:18 last go around. If you are interested, check out age-grading. It normalizes your time for your age and gender. You can see where you stack up locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally

http://www.usatf.org/statistics/calculators/agegrading/
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I do a 5k ParkRun every saturday. My PB is 28.16, but I find it a struggle to get near that (yesterday I only managed 30.05, though that was my first run in weeks)

One of my next years resolutions will be do a sub 60 min 10k.

But really, the only person you're racing is the voice in your head. A good time is one that's better than you did last time.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The OP has 704 posts but after this suddenly deactivated his/her account? This may have been devastating news.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    The 5k is a hard race to be "fast" at....I ran one yesterday in a little over 21 minutes and got first in my age group...but it was a small race. I don't think I would probably place in a bigger race. That being said, you should not focus on the time...focus on the accomplishment instead! You ran a 5K!!! :flowerforyou:
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My PR is 27:15 or so. On average, I do about 28:00.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    5Ks are run by the widest variety of runners, so you'll probably get a wide variety of answers. People running their first could be anywhere from 30-40, those training more often could be mid-upper 20s, more serious people in lower 20s, with the real fast people in the mid-upper teens. I'm generalizing, of course, but the point is that It's an individual sport - race against yourself, not others and you'll find you always win :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i'm not a runner yet but this one race look like a lot of fun

http://hitandrun5k.com/
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Iv'e never ran a competitive timed 5k run, but during my ' long runs' I usually hit the 5k mark at around 31 minutes.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I ran my first on August 10th at 32min 08 seconds. I have done several 5ks since then(yes its addicting) and my PR is now 27min 58 seconds. Its all about competing against yourself really.
  • sarah3436
    sarah3436 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I average 30-31 mins and I just picked up running 2 months ago. I'm trying to get to 28 mins.
  • asilmegan34
    asilmegan34 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've done two 5ks in the last 3 weeks, and I am averaging 37 minutes. Temp and time of day makes a big difference for me. good luck and try not to focus too much on the time until you have a few 5ks under your belt. Then when you want to train for speed, you can do runs that incorporate high intensity interval training so you do short sprints.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm averaging 40 mins here but hopefully getting back into after injury and hopefully it will come down.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    PR Right now is 22:09 hoping to break it this winter!

In regards to your time for your first 5K - you may be in the back of the running pack HOWEVER most races are also 5K Race / Walk so you should have walkers behind you and also maybe even mommies walking/jogging with their strollers.

There is no shame in starting out in the back of the pack. Whatever your time is, you will only improve! You are lapping everyone on the couch! Go for it!! :)
  • Cannon_G
    Cannon_G Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started running back on 4/30/12. I used the Galloway Easy 5K app to get started. At the time I was 306 lbs and morbidly obese. When I started I would struggle to do a 18 minute mile and I would run laps around our local fire department so in case I had a medical emergency I could yell or crawl for help. Thankfully I never had any problems. As the weight came off my times improved. My first official 5k was on 8/19/12 and I ran a 27:50. My second official 5k was on 9/8/12 and I finished in 26:21. My third official 5k was a little over a year after my first day of running. The race was on 5/18/13 and I finished in 22:04. I guess my advice is to cross train if you want to improve your times quickly. My biggest time improvements came after I focused on spin classes in the winter.
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    5ks are tough races for me. I barely warm up and then they are over. I ran 21:18 last go around. If you are interested, check out age-grading. It normalizes your time for your age and gender. You can see where you stack up locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally

http://www.usatf.org/statistics/calculators/agegrading/

The age grading system makes a lot of sense to me. There is just too much variety in abilities for comparing raw times to make sense. But the age grading system means that a 20 year and a 50 year old can compare their performances and how well they are doing.

For the record, my best 5K time is 26:04 which gives me an age grading of slightly better than 50%.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I did my first ever non-race 5k this evening and it took 43:16. Looking to get that down before Oct 12 when I am signed up for a 5k race.
  • Quantized1
    Options
    Last July I was 198 pounds and have never ran a 5K before. I was at a 12:00 minute pace.

Today I ran the 5K in 22:49 and I weigh 177 pounds.

The first month I lost 5 pounds by quitting drinking completely.

I consistently ran and lifted on Tuesdays and Thursdays and went to martial arts Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

I made it a part of my life.

5 months ago I could not break pas the 8:30/mile pace for the 5K.
    Today I ran at a 7:20 pace.

DON'T GIVE UP.