Pumpkin all the things!!

Options

Replies

• fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm REALLY shocked at the UK thing too! I buy and make puree from the cooking pumpkins once a week at those time of year for baking, it makes the best cupcakes. I'm in Ireland, similar food to the UK but much more difficult to find certain things. Aldi sells canned pumpkin once in awhile, but never in the other shops, and it's very expensive. I put pumpkin in every stew I make at this time of year too, and lots of pumpkin soup. Basically use it the same way I use squash. I've been baking the seeds and making pies in Ireland for 15 years, since I was old enough to get the knife into the pumpkin by myself
  • Yolanda_85
    Yolanda_85 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Bump for yummy pumpkin recipes!!
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is my latest addiction and it is wonderful!!! Pumpkin Fluff, my version, makes 10 servings at 63 calories per serving.

Pumpkin Fluff

1 can 29 ounces canned pumpkin. Not pie mix, plain pumpkin
    1 - 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 - 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    dash allspice or nutmeg
    1 box, 4 serving sugar free vanilla pudding. Do not mix with milk, add dry.

Mix these ingredients together well, until the spices and pudding mix are well incorporated.

Now add about 3/4 of a 16 ounce tub of cool whip light, fold into the pumpkin mixture well.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set, but it is better the next day. Enjoy pumpkin decedance for a small calorie count and you will see why I am addicted!!

Bumped for this! My family loves terrible Jello/Cool Whip salads at get-togethers!

Also my favorite thing right now is the pumpkin smoothie that someone else mentioned on a different thread:
    1 frozen banana
    1 c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/2 c pureed pumpkin
    pumpkin pie spice
    a handful of ice cubes
    blend!
    Tastes like pumpkin pie filling in a glass.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Low Carb Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes

2 medium (or small) eggs
    1/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
    2 tsp sugar free maple syrup
    1/8 tsp cinnamon
    Pinch (or 2) of ground ginger
    Pinch of salt
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    1/8 cup + 1 heaping tsp Almond meal/flour
    Coconut oil for your skillet

Mix wet ingredients thoroughly (eggs, pumpkin, syrup)
    Add spices & baking powder to wet ingredients & mix thoroughly
    Add Almond meal/flour to wet ingredients & mix thoroughly.
    Let pancake batter sit for 10-15 minutes

Heat cast iron skillet over medium high heat & add coconut oil to coat (1-3 tsp depending on size of skillet)
    Spoon in batter to make pancakes about 3 inches wide (they need to be small so you can flip them. Don't crowd the skillet because you'll need extra room to maneuver these to flip)
    Cook until the bottom gets golden brown
    Flip & cook til brown
    Serve with your favorite LC toppings (butter, SF syrup, berries, almond butter, etc)

I made 7 small pancakes. Here's the scoop (includes the coconut oil for cooking):

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber
    Batch
    Total: 501 8 44 17 3
    Per : 72 1 6 2 0
    Pancake

I was out of vanilla which is why I used the SF maple syrup. I didn't want these to have an eggy taste & they didn't. They tasted more like a whole grain type pancake but not overly strong pumpkin either.

I had fresh yard eggs which were on the small side of medium. If you have large eggs might want to tweak the recipe.

=============================================

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Custard - Low Carb & Gluten Free

Ingredients
    1 can (15 ounce) pure pumpkin (I like Libby's)
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    4 beaten eggs (room temperature works best so the whites mix up)
    ½ teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
    1/2 tsp stevia powder (not the kind w/ additives)
    Optional toppings: Whipped Cream, Sprinkle of nutmeg, butter-roasted pecans

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Spray 6 ramekin or custard cups with nonstick cooking spray, or use 12 silicon muffin cups
    In a large bowl mix together pumpkin, milk,spices, and stevia (may need 1/4 tsp more stevia if you want them sweeter so that's why I recommend tasting before adding the eggs). Mix in beaten eggs.
    Pour evenly into ramekins or muffin cups.
    Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. (I put my muffin cups in a large pan with water for a "bain marie" to be sure they are really smooth textured)
    Remove from oven, set cups on wire rack to cool and add roasted pecans.
    Best served cold. Top with whipped cream! Sprinkle with nutmeg!

Here's the link to original recipe:

http://www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/healthy-pumpkin-pie-custard-gluten-free-low-carb/

Here's the macros for 12 muffin cups with my changes to original recipe (w/o the pecans):

53 calories
    3 carbs - 2 fiber = 1 net carb
    4 fat
    3 protein

Note: This really tastes like a rich pumpkin pie filling (not eggy)
  • drams5
    Options
    Being from the UK, where pumpkin is only scraped out and scrapped to make a halloween lantern, I have never eaten pumpkin, pie or otherwise!!! Might have to keep the 'brains' of my Pumpkin Head this year??!!

I died a little just now. A little piece of me just died. I almost feel like flying to the UK and cooking you a southern style pumpkin pie.

So funny...I was just thinking, "Oh....that makes me sad. We need to fly this girl over here for some pumpkin goodness!!" Your way works too though. We could fly there....
  • yasminjohaadien
    Options
    Check out the blog: Eat yourself Skinny. She has a pumpkin muffin and dip recipe. Haven't tried it yet, but her spicy sun dried tomato dip is awesome!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Being from the UK, where pumpkin is only scraped out and scrapped to make a halloween lantern, I have never eaten pumpkin, pie or otherwise!!! Might have to keep the 'brains' of my Pumpkin Head this year??!!

I died a little just now. A little piece of me just died. I almost feel like flying to the UK and cooking you a southern style pumpkin pie.

In the US ..... we have Pumpkin pie pumpkins (dark orange and smallish) ....and Jack-O-Lantern pumpkins. You do NOT want to make a pie (or any food) with a Jack-O-Lantern pumpkin.
  • cherylaclark
    cherylaclark Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • imncontrolofme
    imncontrolofme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are all great!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    In Australia we eat loads of fresh pumpkin - would never dream of eating it out of a can. Don't think we even have it in a can. Anyway we bake it in the oven with a roast - yum - I leave the skin on, and we make a lot of pumpkin soup. My fav is pumpkin soup with red lentils topped with natural yoghurt.

Please tell us more about this lentil-pumpkin soup.
  • BooBoo1264
    Options
    This is my latest addiction and it is wonderful!!! Pumpkin Fluff, my version, makes 10 servings at 63 calories per serving.

Pumpkin Fluff

1 can 29 ounces canned pumpkin. Not pie mix, plain pumpkin
    1 - 2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 - 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
    dash allspice or nutmeg
    1 box, 4 serving sugar free vanilla pudding. Do not mix with milk, add dry.

Mix these ingredients together well, until the spices and pudding mix are well incorporated.

Now add about 3/4 of a 16 ounce tub of cool whip light, fold into the pumpkin mixture well.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set, but it is better the next day. Enjoy pumpkin decedance for a small calorie count and you will see why I am addicted!!

I just made this this weekend! So yummy!
  • swiftyns
    Options
    Pumpkin pie flavored anything is so good! Right now I'm really loving Pumpkin Pie flavored yogurt!! :)
  • jonjon111
    jonjon111 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love pumpkin!!
  • Mahihkan
    Options
    13016031.jpg

+

IMG_1419.JPG

=

Simple yummy 2 ingredients lil cupcakes!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Came in to post a white chocolate pumpkin scones recipe. Saw that you wanted something with less cals than pumpkin bread and am now backing out slowly. :laugh:
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can check this later. I grew my own pumpkins this year and want to make lots of different goodies for the kids and hubby. Of course I'll have a little bit.... Moderation is key!
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bump. Definitely in for trying all things pumpkin!
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Don't you believe it!! Pumpkin and squash cooking alive and well in my house. Roasted in soup, fabulous, especially with a pinch of chilli flakes, mashed on top of fish pie or cottage pie, always add it to a thai curry with prawns. And all the usual pie recipes. And i love the seeds roasted and sprinkled in my bread dough.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Fall in New England- awesome, but I just want to bake stuff, specifically pumpkiny things. I have a pumpkin bread recipe that I love, but theres enough butter, sugar, and white flour in it to kill a man. Does anyone have a lower fat/cal recipe they'd be willing to share?? I'd be happy to try any other pumpkin snacks you might have up your sleeves. :)

Just use your regular recipe, but make the following substitutions:
    * Substitute applesauce for butter (1 cup applesauce = 1 cup butter)
    * Substitute mashed bananas for sugar (1 medium/large mashed banana = 1 cup sugar)
    * Substitute whole wheat flour or almond flour for white flour

I love pumpkin! Good luck.