France bans Beauty Pageants...

Options
odusgolp
odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
France’s Senate has voted to ban beauty pageants for children under 16, in an effort to protect girls from being sexualized too early.

Anyone who enters a child into such a contest would face up to two years in prison and about $40,000 in fines. A pageant organizer lamented the severity of the measure.

The Senate approved the measure 197 to 146 overnight Tuesday, as an amendment to a law on women’s rights. The legislation must go to the lower house of Parliament for further debate and another vote.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-09-18/world/42165607_1_pageants-beauty-competitions-amendment

France_Child_Beauty_Pageants-0247c.jpg

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-09-18/world/42165607_1_pageants-beauty-competitions-amendment

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Did someone in France's Senate get their feelings hurt when their daughter lost? Poor little snowflake.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about the tarantula on that child's chest...
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    p17gbm95t34u1u5i8qu1pim1hq97.jpg?itok=-3bltle0
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think that is frickin' awesome.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    France has a lot of problems. All their productive citizens are heading for the borders, China is going to own the whole country and turn it into a wine and cheese amusement park within the next decade or two, and parliament is worried about beauty pageants. SOP for them.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    i think its awesome wont have to worry about looking a certain way bravo to france
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Read your post too fast and read Franks, Beans, Beauty Pagaents....
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    I'm worried about the tarantula on that child's chest...

It wants to eat her to save her from a lifetime of being pretty. I, for one, commend the tarantula for saving her from a fate worse than death.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    --->

would smash
  • MadelineGraceG
    MadelineGraceG Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This = Awesome!

Teaching girls how to respect themselves (and others) is SO much more imortant than teaching them that they're prettier than everybody else. (Or that they're not as pretty as everyone else!)
  • Marion_
    Marion_ Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As long as we still have these very scary TV shows about US beauty pageants I'm OK with my country banning Beauty Pageants
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    if the child beauty pageants in France are anything like the beauty pageants for kids in US, then good for them. No more of old fat moms pushing their kids with makeup and surgery to become what they couldn't.

I find it odd that this is coming from the same country that banned hijab.
  • chubbybword123
    chubbybword123 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    if the child beauty pageants in France are anything like the beauty pageants for kids in US, then good for them. No more of old fat moms pushing their kids with makeup and surgery to become what they couldn't.

I was going to say something to the same effect, but..... whatever, France.

is this now a go ahead for us to ban honey boo boo?
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Do we really care what France does? I sure as heck don't. Let them eat cake.

...commenting on a meaningless, non-impacting event because I can't get my click back.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    is this now a go ahead for us to ban honey boo boo?

tumblr_inline_moxshqKx7O1qz4rgp.gif
  • enjoythesound
    enjoythesound Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As long as we still have these very scary TV shows about US beauty pageants I'm OK with my country banning Beauty Pageants

haha I thought exactly the same way!

and for the

The beauty pageant ban is to protect kids from hypersexualization and other dangerous linked deviances.

The Hijab ban was controversial because we have a giant muslim community over here. The government said it "has nothing to do with religion and said it reaffirmed the French values of equality and dignity of all individuals and would prevent women from simply becoming faceless members of a larger ethnic community."

In some sort of way I think it's on the same track and defends the same cause, promoting individuality and dignity. (But I am neither a politician or a muslim so I might have a biased view XD)
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of beauty pageants, but I dislike banning things even less. The ban is in France, though, so it doesn't really affect me anyways.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    In America, there are 2 types of pageants: focus on beauty / focus on scholarship. (Think Miss USA vs Miss America). In the photo provided, the little girl on the left doesn't look like she competed and won a typical American-style pageant (like Honey Boo Boo) with the slathered on makeup, fake hair, etc.

That being said - my daughter competed in several scholarship pageants before the age of 16. She was able to garner many wonderful prizes, opportunities, and college money. A couple of the pageants she entered actually BAN makeup for contestants under the age of 16. They want to see what the little girl actually LOOKS like - not just on who has the best makeup team working on them.

And my daughter was never considered small - she's a 14/16 right now and probably has been since she was in middle school. She never starved herself before a pageant or fell into that negative trap. She knew that the way she would win was through her application highlighting all her accomplishments, her poise, grace, and personality in the interview round, and finding an evening gown and/or "fitness" wear that would flatter her size and figure.

There are decent pageant systems out there if you're willing to look.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

haha I thought exactly the same way!

and for the

The beauty pageant ban is to protect kids from hypersexualization and other dangerous linked deviances.

The Hijab ban was controversial because we have a giant muslim community over here. The government said it "has nothing to do with religion and said it reaffirmed the French values of equality and dignity of all individuals and would prevent women from simply becoming faceless members of a larger ethnic community."

In some sort of way I think it's on the same track and defends the same cause, promoting individuality and dignity. (But I am neither a politician or a muslim so I might have a biased view XD)

Well, nothing promote individuality like making sure everyone is dressed like a non-muslim... right?
This discussion has been closed.