Did you keep or get rid of your fat clothes?

Options

Replies

• phdiva12
    phdiva12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I got rid of them! I kept them for about 6 months and then mustered up the courage to clean my closet. I realized that I needed to start thinking of my weight loss as permanent and not temporary. The clothes served as an expectation that one day I'd be back there, again. But, I'm trying to think of myself as being in control!
  • Jovan0609
    Jovan0609 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The professionals say to keep one size above what you wear now but toss the rest. By keeping them, you're giving yourself the "okay" to go back to your old sizes. We all know how expensive it is to rebuild a wardrobe so when you feel your clothes starting to get tighter, it will motivate you to get back into your weight loss habits because you don't have anything else in your closet to wear. :smile:
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    As someone who gave them away then regained part of the weight (First timeI regained 87lbs of the 112lbs I had lost, second time I regained 60/70lbs I lost), I sure regretted doing so. I just can't bring myself to throw out anything, small or big in good condtiion that isn't totally out of style now.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I was a size 12 in college, but then got sick and lost a lot of weight, had to buy size 10 then size 8. When I eventually gained the weight back, I kept the smaller sizes because I planned to get back to them. A few years later, I'm glad I kept them because I'm almost back to where I was when I was sick, minus the being sick part.

When I reach my size 8 goals again I would normally keep the size 10s in the attic and donate the 12s, but my mom is also losing weight and is almost down to size 12 so I'm going to save them for her.
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I love that answer I did the sane thing
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Keeping them would be a crutch for you to back peddle. Without out them, you will hold yourself accountable as clothes are EXPENSIVE. Have a yard sale and use those dollars to treat yourself to something nice for your weight loss. What you do not sell, contact charities like House of Ruth, your local homeless shelters, etc., as there are many women who are at a disadvantage that are in need of clothes. If not, there is a Goodwill just about everywhere.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I keep them just in case I relapse
  • NewMnky1
    Options
    Got rid of them as I went. With so much weight loss I couldn't even get them altered. So as I lost the sizes I donated the clothing. Now there is no going back, I can't afford to buy a whole new wardrobe again after buying the one I have now LOL!
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    Originally I had given away all but the next size larger but in my last round of cleaning, I decided that holding on to those was like giving myself permission to gain back some of the weight. That is not ok so I purged everything that didn't currently fit.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I've been getting rid of them as I move forwards. It kind of hurts sometimes to part with my more expensive items, but I know someone else is going to enjoy them (and look good in them) and that makes me feel a little better.

If it's too big, donate it!

Depending on how much you have lost and how expensive the piece of clothing is (like is it an expensive business suit) you might want to look into finding a great tailor to re-size. I have friends who have done this (I did not) and the re-sized item looked fantastic. I would only do this if it was a base piece that cost alot (I have a few friends who had $800+ suits, so the resize was worth it). Keep and ugly old pair of "big pants" as a reminder of where you never want to return to.
  • breanazank
    Options
    I donated them to charity. PLus it was taking up closet space for my new clothes that fit!
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I kept my biggest trousers to remind me to the past. And it's good to have a spare tent lol

I also have a pair of my largest jeans. Size 24. They sit on top of my dresser to remind me where I dont wanna return to. Also, I need them so I can take one of those photos where you put on your biggest pants hold the waist out to show how much smaller you are. =)

I havent gotten too small for any of my shirts yet but I plan to get rid of things as soon as I can.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I keep all of my clothes that I can... I figure if I can't use them again then maybe someone else will be able to or I can just cut them up for rags if they go out of style.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I've kept one pair of my largest pair of pants to remind myself how far I've come.
  • ibonet
    Options
    Get rid of them!! Holding on to them as a "just in case" is not a good idea. It just gives you an excuse to backslide. Yes buying all new clothes can be expensive, but it's worth it and hey! you deserve it! :) let that be your reward :D
  • basiplin
    Options
    I have all of them!!!!! Lol!!! I went from a 24 to a 16! Whoo hoo! I am a performer, so I am keeping them as costumes. But I love looking at them and saying "Who's the fat b**** now?" I have 4-6 inches left and I am going to be ready for the summer!
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    40's and 38's are gone. Relaxed fit 36's are gone. Tight 36 (Wrangler and another brand) and 34's. I need to find a pair of denium 10's in ladies shorts that isn't up to my ***! I want something suitable for someone over 50 and that's NOT short shorts. I've still got the 2XL shirts in the closet but I'm wearing mediums most of the time. I haven't lost much in the super structure though. I'm still in a 40D.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hell no! Those *****es are gone. I have no choice but to stick to my new lifestyle. No fat, no more!
  • merecard
    merecard Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sell them! You will need room in your closet for your new stuff! It's a great reminder when your current clothes get a bit snug to pay attention again! Good Luck!
  • dublin777
    dublin777 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost 40lbs from diet and the gym and got rid of my fat clothes and bought a new wardrobe - (thanks to deals on line) big mistake. Unfortunately I stopped going to the gym due to work schedule and the weight crept back on - so now I have the most beautiful clothes that can't fit - I never thought I would regain the weight. I refuse to buy fat clothes so am trying very hard to get into my new wardrobe. Here's hoping MFP works for me.
This discussion has been closed.