Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• cindylu1962
    cindylu1962 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Came to the simple conclusion that working out before eating anything for the day is NOT helpful:yawn:

Came to the simple conclusion that working out without water easily accesible is NOT helpful:grumble:

Came to the simple conclusion that working out using a DVD while my husband sits on the couch and makes comments is NOT helpful and it's very distracting.:laugh:

So today, I'm not weighing in. I'm going to eat enough to get a great workout into my day later. My strength traning is going well.
    I did a basic plank for 1 min. 40 sec! Last week I could only do 30 sec.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,951 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: In spite of surprise visitors in the middle of the day, I got my strength training done as well as walking the dogs enough to get 20,000 steps.

:bigsmile: Cindy the only workout I do before I eat is to walk the dogs one at a time before breakfast.....I believe one's body needs fuel to work out.

:bigsmile: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I've been eating poorly due to business travel and my DH (pizza for the big game - ugghhh). Workouts have been tough to fit in but doing better with that. This morning I'm home and determined to get back on track. I did both cardio and strength training - sweat up a storm! Everything is a bit sore but I feel like that just shows I've been working. For breakfast I made a greek yogurt and fruit parfait. I'm planning on salad for lunch, a green smoothie for snack and shrimp for dinner. I don't need to travel again until Thursday so I'm determine to get those healthy habits reinstated!

Hope everyone else is doing well with their strength training...this tread has been pretty quiet lately.

Have a great day and keep up all your good habits! Jodios
  • cindylu1962
    cindylu1962 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I adapted the upper back movements to suit my needs for now. I liked them. Thanks.

Hey, Jodi - How are your new purchases working out for you?:blushing:

As usual, it's fun shopping with you.

Can't wait for you to see my in my sexy dress in a couple of weeks. I even suprised myself.:flowerforyou:

My back hurts from the CT. I hope I can get it feeling good by Friday. I even had to use a heating pad last night while I was reading.
    I'm hoping my results come back today. Hope for NO HERNIA.
  • jodios528
    Options
    Cindy - here's hoping that you do NOT have a hernia - keep us posted!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,108 Member
    Options
    Another trip to the gym----complete circuit of weight machines----another class of cardio sculpt/tone. Felt like a very good workout! Increased the weight today on the back machine. Yeah!

I have been going to the gym/wellness center while still fasting. I eat when I get home around lunchtime. This seems to be working well for me so far.

Be strong..........

Lin
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: the big success to report is that I completed my strength workout again today. I haven't added any weight in about two weeks, but I've slowed down some of the lifts, added a few repetitions to some of them and added a set of crunches.:flowerforyou: ...I'm sure that it would be a good idea to change the workout at some point, but so far I like what I'm doing and figure that doing the same thing is better than doing nothing at all.:laugh: :laugh:

:bigsmile: I haven't been able to work in the yard for awhile:brokenheart: :brokenheart:

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I've been on business travel for the past 9 days. Been in 3 different hotels, but they all had decent fitness rooms, so I worked out almost every day. My trainer has intensified my cardio and I have my little body weight routine I can do almost anywhere. I'll be with my trainer at 5:30 AM tomorrow. So grateful she's a morning person like me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Stay well...stay strong.

Rori in Colorado Foothills -- where we are SO HAPPY so see the sun shining!
  • jodios528
    Options
    did my strength training this morning...glad I got it in before I head out for another day out of the office at a client.

Rory - so impressed you fit in your work out routine while on the road - very impressive!

So new move of the week: side plank crunches
    lay on your side in one long line. Either stack you top leg on the bottom (harder) or bring the top leg in front (easier). Come up on your elbow with your elbow right under your shoulder - hand on the mat facing in front of you. Lift your hips up as high as you can and lower down, but do not touch the ground. You will really feel this in your lower obliques

Keep strong everyone - got to get moving

Jodios
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello once again - I'm sorry that I don't have any new moves to share with you. I did get to the gym again, as scheduled, and did the circuit of machines. Then I did some arm work with free weights and squats---my only victory here is that I used heavier hand weights than I do at home. Then off to the class of cardio/strength training/toning. Most of the class consisted of HIIT that was called tabata. If I'd had any idea of what I was getting myself into I might have cut back a bit on the extras in the weight room.

Be strong!!

Lin
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :drinker: I completed another great strength training session today in spite of being interrupted in the middle by the zone captain of our neighborhood emergency response team who wanted to tell me about a few things including the fact that they were soliciting cash contributions to continue their efforts.....that's the down side of working out at home but it is far overshadowed by all the good reasons for working out at home.

:flowerforyou: Jodios, thanks for the new plank variation.....I can hold a plank now even with weighted ankles for so long that my elbows and toes give out before my core,.

:flowerforyou: Lin, I don't have any new moves either......the newest things I'm doing are moves I learned from Jodios....I am just thrilled to be doing this two or three times a week.

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

[/quote]
  • jodios528
    Options
    got in a third strength workout for the week. I did Jillian Michael's ripped in 30 (week 1). Short and sweet but very effective.

It doesn't matter if you have new moves to contribute. I do just because I like the variety.

So new move from the latest workout: squats with rows. Stand with feet hip's distance and a dumbbell in each hand; arms at your sides. Squat down and as you stand back up pull the weights up in front of your chest with you elbows leading the way. Note your palms are facing in towards your body and at the peak your elbows are about even with your shoulders or a bit higher. Release the weights back down to your sides as you squat back down. You should flow from squat to row and back again.

Keep lifting those weights!

Jodios
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I've been out of the loop for a week and a half now. My neck and upper back are giving me trouble, I don't think from exercising though. It's a lot better just not all better yet. And my knee has been giving me issues for the past two weeks now. That is from exercising, I think full squats, maybe step ups too are the culprit. So tonight I will get in a workout but tailor it to how I need to not irritate anything further.
    Keep up the hard work!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Today I had a visit to the dermatologist that resulted in having several spots burned off my face and hand with liquid nitrogen. Even so, I kept my appointment with my strength training.

:flowerforyou: I've gotten to the point with my plank that I can hold it long enough even with ankle weights to get bored so I've been looking for a change.......today I started with no ankle weights and did a one minute plank on each side then on my forearms and then with straight arms......later I did the same thing with ankle weights......next time I'll go longer than one minute

[/quote]
    [/quote]
  • jodios528
    Options
    1st strength training session of the week - Hollywood Trainer circuit A. I feel like I am definitely getting stronger especially my abs where I've always struggled...yeah! I'm going to take my weights up again and see how that goes

Barbie - ouch! hope you heal up well and good for you for strength training anyway! Here is another idea for planks:

Plank ups - start in forearm plank then place your right hand directly under your right shoulder and push your arm straight as you then place your left palm on the floor directly under your left shoulder; straighten...now you are in a standard plank with both arms straight. Now lower onto your right forearm and then your left forearm - back to starting position. For the next round start on the left....very challenging and will definitely work the upper body. Remember to keep your core tight as you move through.

Stay strong everyone

Jodios
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello friends - I did some upper body work on Sunday but today I got back to the gym for the full circuit of weight machines followed by the class of cardio/strength/toning/core. Today the choice was interval training on both the cardio and the strength. Pretty intense---not as much as the tabatas last week but enough for me!

Best wishes to everyone. Those who are hurting----heal quickly.

Lin in Central Iowa (with somewhat screaming abs this evening......)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Today I had a visit to the dermatologist that resulted in having several spots burned off my face and hand with liquid nitrogen. Even so, I kept my appointment with my strength training.

:flowerforyou: I've gotten to the point with my plank that I can hold it long enough even with ankle weights to get bored so I've been looking for a change.......today I started with no ankle weights and did a one minute plank on each side then on my forearms and then with straight arms......later I did the same thing with ankle weights......next time I'll go longer than one minute

Barbie, You Rock! I am always impressed, but this is amazing.:bigsmile:
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with body weight training. Hate the activity, but love the outcome. My arms are getting nicely toned and sculpted. Trainer has me doing different sets of push ups, planks, sit ups, lunges, etc. for 45 seconds with 15 second rest between exercises. The whole 'routine' takes about 20 minutes, and I can take it on the road.

My back has been feeling stiff and sore, but one visit to the chiropractor has made a huge difference. I'm good to go for next PT appointment tomorrow at 5:30 AM.

Stay well and stay strong.

Rori in Colorado Foothills
    Where Fall is here
  • jodios528
    Options
    I got in my second strength training of the week and hoping I can do one more on Saturday. I took my weights for my back exercised and really felt it...I think I might try to squeeze in a little yoga before dinner to stretch out a bit more.

Lin - you always impress me with the intensity of your workouts

Rori - I know what you mean. I used to hate strength training but loved the results. Now after making it a regular part of my routine I actually like it (never thought that would happen). So do you use your own body weight for these exercises to make it easy to do while you travel? Also, love the picture of the kitty in the sink - is it yours?

Stay strong everyone!

Jodios
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello friends - another day in the gym and the same routine
    full circuit of weight machines with a +5 lbs. on triceps today. Some free weights, 100 extra squats with weights, and the class (cardio/toning/strength). Today we used the step and hand weights. That wasn't as intense for me as I've always loved step and know the moves. Great work but no learning curve today!!

Tomorrow is Zumba
    yeah! I talked two ladies from today's class into trying Zumba tomorrow. Hope they don't kill me for the suggestion!!!!

Be strong.

Lin in Central Iowa