Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    got in my 3rd strength training session - Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 week 2...short but tough. Hope everyone is sticking with it :smile:

Lin - how was Zumba?

Stay strong, Jodios
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I did my second strength training session of the week today. I skipped the one in the middle of the week and was determined to get back on track today. Hubby watched TV with me while I worked out and did some dumbbell moves, too.;

:flowerforyou: Jodios, I love your new plank suggestion about going from straight arms back to forearms and back again. I tried it today

:flowerforyou: Lin, you continue to inspire me with your workouts and now Zumba.....wow.

:flowerforyou: Rori, my relationship with strength training is a lot like my relationship with brushing and flossing my teeth or showering......I don't love the activity as much as I love the results......they don't even come close to my love for line dancing and walking my dogs.

:bigsmile: 25,000 steps today, in spite of the rain.

:bigsmile: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You ladies are amazing. I'm new here and currently doing Ripped in 30 (Jillian Micheal) starting week 3 on Monday and c25k week 2 next week...Im joining gym next week, a cheap local one in neighborhood for weight lifting and other machines I don't afford to buy. I'm still a beat confused though as to how to schedule the weight lifting as I'm new to it. What I do currently is Jillian Michaels in the morning before I go to work...then jog my c25k in the afternoon (3days a week) which I will do on treadmill now that I'm joining the gym.

How do you do your strength training ladies?

Mayonie - South Africa.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi Mayonie, welcome to our supportive strength training community. Before I started strength training, I read two books that helped me......"Strong Women Stay Young" and "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". I found the books in the library. I learned that heavy lifting workouts should have a day's rest in between so I do my workouts Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (sometimes I vary, but always have one day in between). I workout at home with hand weights (dumbbells) and ankle weights and exercises that use body weight like pushups. I do cardio----walking and dancing almost every day.

:bigsmile: I hope you'll check in regularly and tell us about your progress with Ripped in 30, c25k, and the.gym.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rori: I am happy to see your post. I’ve been wondering whether you were affected by rains and/or floods. I’m amazed that anyone offers PT at 5:30 am.:flowerforyou:

Lin: I doubt your friends will kill you for suggesting Zumba. I just hope each of you has a good time.:flowerforyou:

I’m still a slacker, but I’m working hard at so many things that I’m getting muscle definition in my arms anyway. Anybody have suggestions for thighs? I have to be protective of knees, so heavy lifting is off my list. Raising my posterior off the chair is all that I ask of my knees.

Katla in Rainy NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: We had so much rain today that I came home from the after lunch dog walk wet through my jacket and two shirts.

:flowerforyou: Today was workout number eleven for September which is more than twice a week....I am very pleased.

:flowerforyou: I've changed my plank to a variety of planks----up and down from straight arm to forearms, side, and planks with ankle weights

:bigsmile: Katla, have you tried a seated leg extension?

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

[/quote]
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,144 Member
    Options
    Today I did the weight machines again. Didn't increase the weight on any of them though. I concentrated on form and working very slowly to keep resistance on my muscles as long as possible. Then I did a class which was tabatas once again. One interval was squats using one heavy hand weight like a kettle bell. I've never done that as quickly as possible before!!! Always something new in these classes.

Wishing everyone a STRONG week!!!

Lin in Central Iowa
  • jodios528
    Options
    I'm out of town on business most of the week. The hotel has a beautiful gym so I got my strength training in. I used dumb bells and the cable machine. I felt spoiled with all the great equipment.

We are going to finish "early" tonight and I should be back at my hotel by 8pm. So I think I'll walk around the mall that is attached...I've been sitting pretty much all day. It will be nice to get up and move. Hopefully I can get in another good workout tomorrow morning - cardio on the docket.

Mayonie - welcome. I am similar to Barbie. I strength train Tues, Thurs and Saturday so I have a day of rest between. I also use dumb bells at home for the most part. I keep slowly upping my weight.

Katia - try sissy squats. Lay 2 dumb bells on the ground touching so they form a line; then rest your heels in the center of each dumb bell so your feet are perpendicular to the dumb bells. You can use light weighs if you want (I use 10 lbs in each hand - but started with 5 lbs)...just let your arms hang down at your side. Then squat down being careful not to go too far down so you don't hurt your knees. Stand back up pressing your hips forward. You will really feel this in your quads!

Lin - I tried Tabata OMG it is tough. I thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest - and we didn't even use weights it was all cardio. I'm so impressed you do this all the time

Stay strong! Jodios sitting in FL
  • linder4866
    Options
    Me again - typing a short note tonight. I did get to the gym and did the full circuit of weight machines although I have to admit I was just not having a great day in terms of the amount of weight I used today. No increases on anything. Did a class afterwards that I really can't describe--- sort of HIIT with loads of shifting from one station to another with intervals of running. I am now officially tired whatever it was. I will be glad to ignore weights tomorrow.....

Lin in Central Iowa

Be Strong
  • cindylu1962
    cindylu1962 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I just ordered two DVDs: one HIIT and one a variation of kickboxing. I can't wait to get them. I like to mix them up with my gym routines. Once I try them out, I'll report back.

Planks are becoming easier so I'll need to move on to the next level. Yah!:drinker:

I'll be at the gym today. Cardio and strength combined.
    Big party tomorrow. I want to look outstanding.
    I feel outstanding!

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • crb0077
    crb0077 Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi I've been lifting for a while now and love it, I have a PT who kicks my butt into action!!!! I still have targets though!

I tend to go to the gym 5-6 times a week for an hour...each session is for one/or two body parts. Arms/Back/Chest/Shoulders/Legs with abs thrown in for 10 mins at the end of most of them.

I'm rubbish at push ups and set targets every week....I could only do 1 or 2 full pushups at the beginning of September...I can now do 10...hoping to be able to do 20 or at least 15 x3 by the end of October

My other aim is to be able to execute 10 pull ups (neutral grip) by the end of october, however this may be a bit of an ask as I can currently only do 3 or 4, to be honest I was chuffed when I managed 1.

My year long target is to sort my form out for squats....I've had issues from day one...my knees used to come together on the up...we've sorted that out...now I need to loosen my hips as I seem to lean too far forward and once I put a decent amount of weight on my shoulders I'm going to topple forward!!! This is frustrating as I have quite a strong lower body, can lift 770lbs on the leg press, can just about lift the stack (260lbs) on the leg extension and can deadlift my body weight so I think I could do quite a bit of weight with my squat but I will get there!

I love planks...I do the usual one but also try raising a leg whilst doing it...or a side plank with presses at the end!

Good luck everyone, I've found lifting and strength training to be amazing....I'm looking and feeling better than I ever have, although have still a long way to go as I'm only 8 months in!

x
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: we went out of town on Thursday right after my line dance class and got back this afternoon. We spent the weekend in a hotel with a nice fitness center. On Thursday afternoon I walked on the treadmill with a friend (my age) who got tired after 30 minutes and decided to go back to her room. The next person on the treadmill (many years younger than me) ran for 60 minutes so I was reminded to not compare myself with other people and just compete with myself. I used some machines that I don't normally have access to....did some stuff with hand weights using the weight bench....also used the exercise bike, elliptical, and rowing machine....I tried some things with hand weights that are heavier than the ones I have at home...it was a great "exercise vacation".......

:bigsmile: the weather was nice and I was able to to walk a bit outside.....I walked around the block that included an uphill and downhill during each break in the meetings I attended and was able to meet my step goal every day.

:bigsmile: I walked the stairs up and down a few times to our room on the 15th floor.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I'm very glad to be home.

[/quote]
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I got back to my regular strength training today.....I added one more weight bag to my ankle weights to add to the challenge :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

[/quote]
    [/quote]
  • jodios528
    Options
    Got in my 1st strength training session of the week. I started with a Bob Harper DVD. He begins by saying it will be the hardest DVD you've ever done - and he wasn't lying. I got about 8 minutes in and realized there was no way I had the energy or strength to tackle that workout today. So I switched to another DVD I like a lot and upped my weights so I didn't feel like a complete sissy. I stuck it out, but it was hard!. My arms feel like they weigh about 10 tons each right now.

Barbie - I can't believe you walked up all those flights of stairs - very impressive. It is pretty cool to work out somewhere nice and get that "exercise vacation"

Stay strong everyone!

Jodios
  • linder4866
    Options
    You guys are doing great! I got my work completed today. Weight machines and a class---cardio and strength using the step and a bar. Always something different which keeps it interesting. No increases in weights but I upped the number of reps in each set on most of the machines. If I couldn't do more weight I decided I'd do more reps until I could increase the weight.

Let's keep going!!!! I love hearing from everyone.

Be Strong!

Lin in Central Iowa
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I changed my workout a bit today.....I had added some more stuff and it was getting too long so I left a few things out and slowed the movements on some of them. I like doing a familiar routine.....in most of my life I have a huge tolerance and affection for repetition

[/quote]
    [/quote]
  • linder4866
    Options
    Good evening - I got to the gym again today and got through the weight machines. The weight room was somewhat busier than usual today which made me a bit nervous (still too new to this I guess). Then on to the cardio/strength/toning class. Today there was very little cardio---another odd combination of stations of mostly strength moves done with timed intervals. LOTS of ab and glute work as well. So tonight my virtually non-existent pecs are hurting as well as every muscle I call my abs. Ouch! Did some slow running when I got home. Tired once again!!

So Zumba tomorrow!!

Keep on---you are inspiring.

Be Strong.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I've been MIA on this thread, but have kept up with strength training. I do it Tuesday, Thursday (with PT if I'm in town) and Saturday.

Jodios: Yes, my routine is 95% body weight training. There is one exercise I can do holding a bottle of water instead of a weight. The cat in the photo is my fur baby, Mars. In our house, the world revolves around Mars. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yesterday my trainer introduced me to tubes. I used therabands when I was rehabbing from a shoulder injury,so I thought, "oh, this will be a snap." LOL. Today I feel more sore than I ever have after weight training. There is a huge variety of exercises with these things. I'll be the tubes another go tomorrow.

Stay well and keep strong.
    Rori in the Colorado Foothills (where I can see snow in the mountaintops)
  • SHINDY12
    Options
    Bump
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Did my regular routine again today while watching TV with Jake. I put the chicken in the oven part way through so it was ready soon after I finished so we could eat our lunch right away. Jake does some things with hand weights at the same time so I have be sure I don't need the same weights that he's using (we have pairs of 3, 5, 10,and 15 pound weights)

[/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]