Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This week my second strength training session was a bit wimpy. I added light hand weights to my kick boxing routine. they did start to feel a bit heavy after a whole slew of "punches" but it was not as intense as my usual - felt more like toning. I'm out on business 2 days this week but hoping I can keep up my normal routine. I think the week after will be the first week in ages I don't have to go anywhere - but lately I never know.

Stay strong everyone, Jodios
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Did my regular workout this afternoon after a long morning walk with a friend.....by the time I did my workout I already had 31,000 steps on my pedometer. I watched part of the gymnastics world championships and felt like a wimp compared to those athletes....of course, I'm old enough to be their grandmother :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:bigsmile: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    It's Tuesday and I made it to the gym again today----weight machines, walking and a class---tabatas again today. I really felt good about it today and worked hard but was able to bounce through this class. I hope that means I am getting stronger.
  • jodios528
    Options
    squeezed in a quick (30 minute) training session. I upped the weights and mixed in cardio - I really felt like I had worked hard after. Hopefully I manage to get up early and get in another quick workout before my work session tomorrow. they have a dinner planned so I need to torch some calories!

Stay strong, Jodios
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Did my strength training today and added donkey kicks with ankle weights.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

[/quote]
  • linder4866
    Options
    Yep---another morning at the gym! Did my circuit of weight machines and took less rest time between machines today. Then did the instructor led class which was 8 stations of HIIT activities. One was 'biceps burnout'!!! Great class.

Be strong.

Lin
  • jodios528
    Options
    Yesterday I got in another quick strength training session before my work session. I'm back today (so good to be home) so was able to do a nice long Pilates fusion DVD that had a lot of toning with light weights.
    Barbie and Lin - so glad you are still here on the thread - seems like we've lost a few folks - I hope they are keeping up with their plans but just not posting.

Stay strong ladies! Jodios
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I'm done with the physical projects around the house for now and am ready to refocus on fitness. I can't remember who talked about elastic bands to take on trips, but I'd love to know more about them and how you're using them. I'll probably use them at home since I kept over doing it at the gym and haven't been in ages.:blushing:
  • linder4866
    Options
    While I did not go to the gym today. I did the Shaun T workout----Rock It Out which is about 45 minutes of full body toning. You hold hand weights for most all of it except the floor work. A good 45 minute workout. (This is on the DVD Rockin' Body by the way.)

Wishing everyone well!!!!!

Lin (of the sore abs once again)
  • jodios528
    Options
    Katia - Rori is the one using the bands when she travels
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Katia - Rori is the one using the bands when she travels

Oh my gosh. I mixed the two of you up in my thinking. Thanks for letting me know.:blushing:
  • cindylu1962
    cindylu1962 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    There is a terrific dvd out there that has a lot of strength moves: It's the 10 minute solution: High intensity interval training DVD. It looks easy, but it's a killer. You don't even use weights for this. It's plyometrics, etc. you use your own body weight.

I am determined to get my upper body strong.
  • SHINDY12
    Options
    Bump for reading later
  • jodios528
    Options
    I did the Hollywood Trainer Circuit B today. I upped my weights so my arms are feeling pretty tired right now. Most of the moves are pretty standard, so I guess my new move of the week will have to wait until my next session (hopefully Wednesday).

I definitely am starting to feel much stronger and trimmer. Yesterday we finally cleaned out the garage of all the last boxes we had from closing out our parents condo. I was lifting things up and down the stairs to get them put away for hours. I don't think I could have done all of it in one go at the beginning of the summer. I don't usually think about the more everyday functional benefits of strength training but its nice to be reminded of them.

Stick with your training everyone - be strong!!!

Jodios
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: I changed my workout quite a bit today thanks to suggestions from Jodios and Rori and encouragement from all of you.

:flowerforyou: I need a lot of repetition from one workout to the next because the first few attempts often miss the mark and I need the practice to make the moves effective....I have a huge tolerance for repetiiton

:flowerforyou: Cindylu, thanks for the DVD suggestion, but I like watching TV while I work out so I couldn't watch a DVD.

:flowerforyou: Jodios, isn't it great to find a real life validation that this strength training is really working.

[/quote]
    [/quote]
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    Great news! Lost more weight and now I'm 1.4 pounds from my original goal!
    The weight training is helping but I am really sore. I stretch whenever I think of it and I do yoga.
    Could I be overdoing it?
    Any advise?

687658hr6skwfpde.gif
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    I did the Hollywood Trainer Circuit B today. I upped my weights so my arms are feeling pretty tired right now. Most of the moves are pretty standard, so I guess my new move of the week will have to wait until my next session (hopefully Wednesday).

I definitely am starting to feel much stronger and trimmer. Yesterday we finally cleaned out the garage of all the last boxes we had from closing out our parents condo. I was lifting things up and down the stairs to get them put away for hours. I don't think I could have done all of it in one go at the beginning of the summer. I don't usually think about the more everyday functional benefits of strength training but its nice to be reminded of them.

Stick with your training everyone - be strong!!!

Jodios

Jodi,
    You are very strong AND stronger than earlier in the year. Great job!
    I did the CrossFit Training for Fitness today for the first time. No time to complete the whole DVD but I was sweating up a storm. I even steamed up my eyeglasses.
    I really liked a strength move Jessica did. It is in the second section. You are sort of in a side plank with your elbow down. Back leg is slightly bent. Top leg raises with torso then squeeze knee into top elbow. I'm not good at explaining it but it was good. I had to do major adjustments on the left due to the surgery but I still felt it.
    459763anpsatqp8w.gif
  • barbiecat
    Options
    The weight training is helping but I am really sore. I stretch whenever I think of it and I do yoga.
    Could I be overdoing it?
    Any advise?

687658hr6skwfpde.gif

love your graphics :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Everything I've read about strength training says to have a rest day between workouts. I walk over 20,000 steps every day. I haven't had a rest day from walking in years.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Yoga and stretching would seem to be the same----something you could do every day......if you're moving, you're losing.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: congrats on getting so close to your goal.

[/url]1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

congrats on getting so close to your goal.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • linder4866
    Options
    Could I be overdoing it?
    Any advise?

687658hr6skwfpde.gif

love your graphics :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Everything I've read about strength training says to have a rest day between workouts. I walk over 20,000 steps every day. I haven't had a rest day from walking in years.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Yoga and stretching would seem to be the same----something you could do every day......if you're moving, you're losing.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: congrats on getting so close to your goal.

[/url]1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

congrats on getting so close to your goal.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I agree with Barbie. You are doing a great job--CONGRATS! You do want to listen to your body, if you are really sore, your body may be telling you to ease up a bit and definitely give your body a day between intense weight lifting/strength building sessions. Also if you are hitting cardio really hard every day (not talking about walking) you definitely may need a day off. You do not want to over-train, a friend of mine here on MFP ended up with a stress fracture in her foot. Take care of yourself and be kind to your body.

Lin