I really miss cheese!!!

Options
So the one thing I find difficult to incorporate into a lower calorie lifestyle is cheese! But I miss it so much! I think "I'll just sprinkle a tiny bit of cheese on that" then I realise its 24795379 calories and not worth it:sad: . Any ideas on how to get a cheese fix without busting half of my daily allowance?

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with cheese? I have it daily. You can get lower calorie cheese. You could always workout for it.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Fresh Romano or Parmesean cheese. A little goes a long way.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I still eat cheese almost every day. 2 fat slices of swiss for 140 calories. Mmmmm....
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to lower calorie options. A good example of this would be Sargento's Ultra Thin Swiss. In general, I just try to make it fit into my calorie budget for the day. :) Hope this helps.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Use a very strong flavoured cheese so you get the flavour without having to use a large quantity (Parmesan, Gorgonzola, Mature Cheddar, Stilton etc.....).

Would run for cheese. :smile:
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If you really love it, don't do away with it! Moderation sweetheart!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Eat that cheese :happy:

Seriously I never knew so many had the love I feel for cheese lol. I will add exercise to my day or even go out of my way to find lower calorie food throughout the day to make room for the occasional cheese

However I used to eat it all the time but now tend to use it as a special treat and to me it seems to taste even better that way
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Would run for cheese. :smile:

^^^This.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Eat the Damn cheese!!!

Just workout in beast mode!!!!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Cheese is sine qua non to me and I could never eliminate it. Actually I can't even compromise on it with low cal versions. I just make sure to use my kitchen scale to accurately measure .5 and 1.0 ounce portions. It's very easy to slice off too much if you don't measure and the difference between 1.0 ounce and 1.75 ounces is relevant for cheese.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I eat low fat cheddar cheese and grate it so always looks more.

Also have you tried cottage cheese baked - I use it on my low fat lasagne recipe and once its melted it tastes like a really mature cheddar. A lot of friends who don't normally eat cottage cheese have tried this and can't believe how good it tastes.

You can mix the cottage cheese with some beaten egg, fry some onions, mushrooms and ham off - pour into a non stick flan tin and bake in the oven - pastry free low fat quiche, you can add whatever veggies you want to this so it really fills you up and more importantly it is really tasty.

Don't deny yourself foods that you like, just have them in moderation.

x
  • 2lottie88
    Options
    I think the point I'm trying to make is that for the same calories I could just fill my face with a plate full of yummy veg. I do work my *kitten* off in the gym (at one point I was running 10k everyday) I'd just like to find some kinda cheese that doesn't use up all that hard work in one mouthful!
  • 2lottie88
    Options

You can mix the cottage cheese with some beaten egg, fry some onions, mushrooms and ham off - pour into a non stick flan tin and bake in the oven - pastry free low fat quiche, you can add whatever veggies you want to this so it really fills you up and more importantly it is really tasty.

This sounds heavenly! :smile:
  • Angelhunter
    Angelhunter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really love cheese, it´s one of my favorite foods.
    I never quit to eat cheese during my diet and will continue with it. So eat with moderation and you still will be able to meet your daily goals.

Tip:
    Over here in German we have a cheese called "Harzer Käse" it´s a sour milk cheese. It tastes great and has excellent nutritonal values. Less than 1% fat and nearly 30% protein
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harzer
    Maybe you have it also over there or can find some similar.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    There's no need to cut out cheese. I eat it regularly.

You can buy low fat mature cheddar - get a good quality one though, it really does make all the difference between tasting like plastic and tasting nice. I buy Cathedral City which is about 150 cals for 50g.

Grating it is a good idea - it goes further.

Parmesan is another good cheese as it's powerful so you don't need a lot.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese almost everyday as well. I usually have a lighter version, but now near my goal weight occasionally have high octane. As someone said, a little can go a long way and if you incorporate it into your plan, there's no reason you have to totally deny yourself the foods you love. (I also eat a square of chocolate and have a skinny starbucks latte every day- 118lbs lost so it can't be all bad) :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I should say that there is a natural chemical in cheese that is addictive & that's why people keep going back to it. It's basically what makes the calves go back to the cow to drink all the time. It's hard to get off the addiction of it.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My friend adores cheese but won't have it in the house as she finds it too tempting ! Now when we go out for lunch on Tuesday after weighing ourselves she will have a cheese baguette so she doesn't feel deprived .
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    feta and goat cheese are great ... they are a little lower in fat (not as creamy, typically, more crumbly) but they melt great and are very flavorful, making a little go a long way. i use shredded cheese (esp stronger flavors) in wraps and as a garnish on hot meals and with only 1-2 tbs. of grated cheese, i get a lot of cheesy goodness for not many calories at all. plus cheese has calcium and protein! it's very satisfying.

i have a rule not to eat meat and cheese together. but using cheese in PLACE of meat doesn't hurt as long as i'm getting enough protein. a scrambled egg with a little cheese in a carb balance tortilla (13g of fiber for a whole, but half is often plenty and still packs 6.5g) is very satisfying, and can be 300 calories or less for the whole thing, depending on type and amount of cheese.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I'm a big cheese eater but when i found out how many calories are in a home-made pizza I nearly wept.

And there's really only one way to do it. You can't compromise on perfection... so I just have it less often. :(