I really miss cheese!!!

Options

Replies

• RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Cheese is sine qua non to me and I could never eliminate it. Actually I can't even compromise on it with low cal versions. I just make sure to use my kitchen scale to accurately measure .5 and 1.0 ounce portions. It's very easy to slice off too much if you don't measure and the difference between 1.0 ounce and 1.75 ounces is relevant for cheese.

^^^^ agree. I love my cheese and I do not do without it at all. Have it daily. All kinds, I just measure it so I know how much in Calories and sodium I am getting.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think the point I'm trying to make is that for the same calories I could just fill my face with a plate full of yummy veg. I do work my *kitten* off in the gym (at one point I was running 10k everyday) I'd just like to find some kinda cheese that doesn't use up all that hard work in one mouthful!

What is your calorie goal? Mine is between 1200 and 1300. I eat mega amounts of food and always have space for one to two servings of cheese. My diary is open if you want to take a look.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. Would never cut out cheese!
    Protein, calcium, great taste.
    Moderation is the key!
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    A great lazy way of having your cheese and eating it too (!) is to buy pre-sliced cheese. A slice of proper Gouda or Emmental is only about 100 calories and you don't need to bother weighting it.

Wanting to eat veg is great but to make this sustainable for the long term you've got to have a little of what you fancy too. Cutting cheese (or anything else) out completely seems counter-productive to me.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think the point I'm trying to make is that for the same calories I could just fill my face with a plate full of yummy veg. I do work my *kitten* off in the gym (at one point I was running 10k everyday) I'd just like to find some kinda cheese that doesn't use up all that hard work in one mouthful!

Ah but is a plateful of yummy veg as satisfying and uplifting as a single bite of cheese................I think not :tongue:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Ah but is a plateful of yummy veg as satisfying and uplifting as a single bite of cheese................I think not :tongue:

Grate 1 oz cheese onto the vege. :D sounds weird but is sooooo satisfying.
  • gettingmy_lifeback
    Options
    wow i despise cheese lol
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was absolutely hooked on cheese... which contributed a lot to my weight gain, I think. I was put on some antibiotics a couple of months ago though and for some reason they seemed to change the taste of some foods, including cheese. It just didn't taste nice any more, just a bit... weird. So I stopped eating cheeses like cheddar, emmental etc, and for the past few weeks I've been sticking to cottage cheese and low fat mozzarella every once in a while, but they weren't that addictive for me anyway since they taste completely different.

So if you really want to get off it, you could try and go cold turkey and just have the non-cheesey cheeses to use in recipes and on sandwiches.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    add wine, and I am in!
    I am still eating it,
    why you stopping?
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options

The same is true for a thick slice of bread, a serving of meat, a piece of dark chocolate, yogurt, a glass of wine, an avocado, a tiny serving of pasta, etc. You have to get out of that mindset because one day it could progress into you eating nothing but rabbit food all day! Variety is important to your diet, not just to satisfy our cravings/wants, but to get a variety of nutrients into our body. If you chose foods that are dense in calories and protein/fat (like cheese! or chicken/meat)... that single serving is going to last you a lot longer than stuffing your face with veggies. Vegetables are good for you of course, but there is no point in being excessive to the point of eliminating other choices.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I should say that there is a natural chemical in cheese that is addictive & that's why people keep going back to it. It's basically what makes the calves go back to the cow to drink all the time. It's hard to get off the addiction of it.

It's been debunked.
    http://books.google.de/books?id=9skvgOssywYC&pg=PA11&dq=morphine+in+cow's+milk+research&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Z35BUpuNBcbHswbV0YHABA&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=morphine in cow's milk research&f=false
  • rld247
    rld247 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thats sounds lovely. might try that!!
  • rld247
    rld247 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I posted a similar thread a few days ago. I love cheese so much I use it on nearly everything. I'll go through a whole block of cheese in one family meal. I have cut down on the amount of cheese I add to my food and found that the flavour hasn't suffered too much. I also try and balance my day out, so if I want cheese with lunch I try and make sure I have an uber low cal evening meal or vice versa. I find working out my planned calories at the beginning of the day really helps.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Cheese is the best. An ounce of Light Feta has 70 cals - and that is a substantial chunk. I know a common side dish for me will be a **** load of cherry tomatoes and an ounce of two of Feta. Less than 200 cals and delish.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

The same is true for a thick slice of bread, a serving of meat, a piece of dark chocolate, yogurt, a glass of wine, an avocado, a tiny serving of pasta, etc. You have to get out of that mindset because one day it could progress into you eating nothing but rabbit food all day! Variety is important to your diet, not just to satisfy our cravings/wants, but to get a variety of nutrients into our body. If you chose foods that are dense in calories and protein/fat (like cheese! or chicken/meat)... that single serving is going to last you a lot longer than stuffing your face with veggies. Vegetables are good for you of course, but there is no point in being excessive to the point of eliminating other choices.

This. Cheese is a great source of protein, calcium and fat (yes, fat is essential in a healthy diet). Living purely on plates of steamed veggies would not give you a full nutrient profile in your diet.

There is no point eliminating any foods from you diet illness you are happy never to eat them again. If you love cheese, work it into your calorie goal.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Feta, parmesan, goat cheese, even small amounts of fresh mozzarella or cheddar is NOT going to undo everything. I was actually surprised at how little calories some cheese have, & I'll add it in sometimes to get the extra protein & calcium. No need to cut it out!
  • 2lottie88
    Options
    Seriously guys I'm not going to turn into a rabbit and just eat lettuce, and I'm not going to give up cheese! I'm just looking for advice on types of cheese/recipes/sneaky ways of making less cheese go further!
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    So the one thing I find difficult to incorporate into a lower calorie lifestyle is cheese! But I miss it so much! I think "I'll just sprinkle a tiny bit of cheese on that" then I realise its 24795379 calories and not worth it:sad: . Any ideas on how to get a cheese fix without busting half of my daily allowance?

I have the same problem. I bought some 1-slice pre-wrapped cheese I could get here but it's just not the same. And one slice of that is still like 65 calories.

I can eat (some) cheese now. I had a biggish chunk of nice Dutch cheese yesterday. Only because I'm eating at a surplus now. On a deficit I had to mostly avoid.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Measure. Isn't 1/4 cup only about 100 calories? Sure, you can't drown your food in cheese but you can have some.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    not sure what the rest of your day looks like, but cheese doesn't really consume *that* many calories, unless you put a crap ton on everything.