Help! Peer pressure to eat poorly

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    ^ But those aren't real burgers. Those are veggie patties. Burgers are beef. :)
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to stand up against that pressure. It does feel a bit snobbish to insist that you're only going to eat a little bit. Also, it is hard when all the 'fun' needs to include food/treats. In your case, the fact that the fun was going out to eat, must have been really hard for you.

Just say no is the best advice here, but I would just add that you should paste a smile on your face and try to be gracious about it. Firm and unyielding but pleasant.
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Of course I said no, but I relented when the "But it's my birthday" "But it's a wedding" comments came in.

Of course, I wasn't there- so I can't say for sure HOW exactly you were saying "no".

But I find when I say no with a more unsure tone, even SLIGHTLY, the person offering attacks as if they know you'll give in if they persist.

When I decline in a strong 'matter of fact' tone, I find they leave me alone.

Still, if they persist... Then a talking-to is in order, as has already been stated. Just tell her the truth, but know in advance what you're going to say so you don't sound like you're unsure of yourself (this happens to me a lot, hah). Be very direct, and don't stand down on your points. If it's something you feel strongly about, then it's something worth standing up for.

Good luck! I know these situations are never fun.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Food assault!
    But seriously, just say no. Say you're not interested in having to workout extra to burn off so many calories.
    If she gets offended, well tough tittywitties. She's encouraging you to eat more cause she doesn't like being heavier than you.
    Woman logic.
  • Flabulousss
    Options

But I find when I say no with a more unsure tone, even SLIGHTLY, the person offering attacks as if they know you'll give in if they persist.

When I decline in a strong 'matter of fact' tone, I find they leave me alone.

I was thinking this too. You gotta talk like you mean business. People nag pushovers because they know they'll win. Even if they persist, if you know what you want then it shouldn't matter what they say.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You get what you want. then when she says to get something else you say "I'm still eating this." and then go on with other conversation.. really no one is forcing you to actually eat more. the waiter will not bring you more.. in fact you can tell the waiter quietly NOT to bring you more food no matter who else demands it.
  • MTBr0x
    Options
    I feel for you! Been in that situation a few times myself, often with a different angle: the stupid "real men eat a lot" / "big guy, big appetite" idea. Wish I could say that never worked on me.

Your cousin knows that you're making better choices than she is. She knows it whether or not you make a big deal about it. But for her to tear you down just so she feels better about herself is very selfish. You should never be ashamed of making healthy choices just because someone else isn't.

Love, acceptance, and humor may help, depending on the situation and the person. Assure the other person they can eat whatever they like, no big deal - really! Change the subject. Or say you have an upset stomach. You don't feel like cake right now, but that fruit salad looks good and you haven't had any in a long time. "Maybe later." Or take small portions. Or make sure that you spend too much time talking and doing other things to eat a lot.

Good luck!
  • bergamese
    bergamese Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Depends on your relationship with your cousin, but I'd say something like:

"I'd enjoy your company more if you'd quit bullying me."
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    NOBODY can guilt me into eating how i don't want to. i don't care who they are. nobody should EVER have that much power over you and what goes in your body.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Just say no, politely at first. Something like "wow, those look great, but I'm totally stuffed! I had a really late lunch." Then change the subject to something other than food - something that your cousin loves to talk about.

If pressed more, just tell your cousin that you don't want the food and that you would rather just drop the subject. Firmly and with conviction. If she pouts or keeps it up, say something like "I get that it's your birthday and you can totally eat whatever you want. I want to hang out, but you are making this not as fun for me by harping on me about food."
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Don't give in to peer pressure.

My family is like, the worse at that. sometimes you just have to suck it up and be direct to them.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend loves to eat and while I'm trying to convert him (proving harder than I thought!), I deal with this all the time.

It's totally reasonable for you to tell people that you eat in a way that makes you feel good. You can always make up an excuse too, if someone doesn't buy what you're saying. It sounds like your cousin is persistent, so definitely be firm with her and say something like, "I have found that I feel the best when I eat this way, and it's really important to me that I feel great - physically, mentally and emotionally". Hopefully something like that will stop her.

Props to you for sticking to your guns on this. Even a 4-day weekend can turn great habits in to bad habits really quickly!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My reply is "no thanks, I'll pass this time". I don't feel like I owe anyone an explanation.
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I just say no. If the people you are with don't like, that is their issue and not yours.

I find that by just quietly doing my thing, the people I hang out with have come to accept it, and several have even picked up some of my healthy eating habits and had success with it. They can eat whatever they want when we go out, and I'll do my thing.

People try to pressure you to do all sorts of things in your life that you know aren't right, and food is just one area.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm reminded of the time when I was in college and some friends were trying to get me to drink. They kept pressuring and I kept saying no. Finally, I said, ok I will take a beer. They all cheered like they had just got something grand to happen. Then I poured the beer on the ground.

They were PISSED. I said it was my beer, they gave it to me, and I could do what I wanted with it. I told them that if they ever offered me another, I would do the same thing.

Now, when somebody is pressuring me to do something I don't want I tell them this story. Then I say, "So, are you sure you wanna give me those fries?"

I don't typically have to keep fighting the comments after that.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I really relate to this. My sisters in law are constantly commenting on my eating habits, and how they never see me eat "normal food." The thing is, I feel better when I eat healthy food. I do believe in everything in moderation, but for me, personally, I crave healthy foods because that's how I feel best. When I feel the pressure, I just say, "I prefer to eat like this. When I eat heavy meals, I always feel sick." That usually shuts them up.
  • Daws387
    Daws387 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This is sooo annoying...I have friends that kind do the same thing. Except in your case it seems like your cousin wants you to eat food that you would never eat by yourself. Whereas with my friends its usually eating (especially drinking) unhealthy things that I've consumed in the past and would still consume now but in moderation.

I recently went on a wknd trip with these friends and I had a few drinks. But one of my friends kept trying to pressure me to drink more until I directly told him (in a mean way) to stop telling me to drink. For some reason he felt that him buying the drinks meant that I had to drink them, even when I told him no beforehand.

Now i don't have the strictest of diets, I try to stay within my macros on here, but calories is the most important to me. So what i do is, if I know a few days in advance that I'm going to be around these friends or I'll be going out to a restaurant I'll do what i can to plan ahead by maybe increasing my deficit on the days leading up to it in order to minimize the effects of possibly going over my calories for the day. It's worked okay so far. I feel it would be very useful for you in dealing with waffle fries

The people who posted before me have given some pretty great advice that you should follow, and I'm gonna follow as well. Thanks everyone.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I sometimes wish more people pressured me to eat poorly or overeat. Pushy people get on my nerves, even if the pushy person is someone I love. I find it easier to resist food if someone is trying to force me to eat it. Unfortunately most of my relatives and friends are either the
    "Oh, bcattoes won't want any cake. She eats healthy." (as bad as the pushy people)
    or the
    "You sure you don't want any? Okay, more for me!"
    types.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    eat
    drink
    be merry
    people say this for a reason.
  • mabbzie
    mabbzie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Guys will say things like "I like a girl who can really eat." And yet, we're also still held to a certain standard of physique.

^this