Getting Ready to start the 17 Day diet!

Options

Replies

• knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Has anyone been successful on this program?

For what it's worth I've been on this diet for 9 days and have lost 8 pounds. My son is doing this with me and he has lost 11. It is NOT just a fad for 17 days. The first 17 days you eat all you want of lean chicken, fish, turkey, 2 servings of a yogurt or probiotic, 2 eggs if you want, 2 fruits and unlimited non-start veggies. I personally don't see a thing wrong with that. You basically cut out all of the processed foods and junk. BEFORE your body has a chance to figure out you are dieting and adjust you change the plan on day 18. For the second 17 day cycle you can add starch type vegetables such as potatoes, and corn and whole grain cereals such as oatmeal, cream of wheat. You alternate every other day adding a couple of starches. On non-starch days it is the exact same as the first 17 days. Before you get bored with that and hit a hang up, the next 17 days switches it slightly still by adding whole wheat breads and pasta's. You repeat the 2nd and 3rd cycles until you have lost the weight you want, then move to the 4th to stabilize everything out.

Horrible title for the book but awesome plan and way of eating super clean. I feel so much better in addition to losing weight. I do not feel deprived and don't miss anything really. We do have an awesome 17 DD group here on mfp.
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't know what this diet is... but it'll take a lot more than 17 days to get used to a new lifestyle.

Indeed! "Diets" never work! Life style changes do!
  • Beautifulempress
    Options
    Hey am interested in startingthe 17 day diet can anyone send me the information about it if possible
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hey am interested in startingthe 17 day diet can anyone send me the information about it if possible

Step 1: Diet for 17 days
    Step 2: Come to the MFP message board and cry about your progress
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I am trying this. Only because I need a swift kick in the butt back into eating better.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion and experience.

I went to Web MD and read about the 17 Day diet. I don't understand what detox is all about. Our body detoxes via our natural processes, especially when we learn how to eat healthy and drink more water.

Web MD said the 17 Day diet is designed so that people lose weight fast. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/17-day-diet-review.

In my past, I tried just about every "lose weight fast" program out there. I lost weight, but I felt sick and weak with each diet.

I want to encourage you to set eat healthy food within your calorie limit and to exercise. The results will be slower but longer lasting.

In any event, good luck with whatever you decide to do. :smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ughhh why was this re-bumped?
  • marciasmith948
    Options
    I have a lot of friends that have lost 15 to 65 lbs on this diet. Really, itsa better way of eating and living. I found it not that hard to follow. I have lost about 30 lbs on it.
  • Daisyfk
    Daisyfk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's a really hard diet... Not really a realistic one, to tell the truth. I've had friends on it and they only gained weight back after they stopped doing it. It really think potion control is the way to go. I've lost 26 in less then 3 months doing just that and exercising everyday anywhere between 25 to 55 mins. Mostly 30-35 mins but do more when I can... Best of luck to you on your journey... :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    This is just my opinion and experience.

I went to Web MD and read about the 17 Day diet. I don't understand what detox is all about. Our body detoxes via our natural processes, especially when we learn how to eat healthy and drink more water.

Web MD said the 17 Day diet is designed so that people lose weight fast. http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/17-day-diet-review.

In my past, I tried just about every "lose weight fast" program out there. I lost weight, but I felt sick and weak with each diet.

I want to encourage you to set eat healthy food within your calorie limit and to exercise. The results will be slower but longer lasting.

In any event, good luck with whatever you decide to do. :smile:

I've lost a total of 60lbs already. Exercise and eat right, no diet. Just need a kick start. I don't do diets generally. But I already eat 80% of the foods on this diet, so all i'm really do is restricting them for 17 days. ( I'm reading the book shortly but a lot of my friends did it, so they gave me most of the "rules" I can do anything for 17 days.

That's why I hate the word "cleanse" We eat the right foods our bodies do it for us. Hence why i'm going to follow this one. I have to re-accustom myself to the right foods. I've strayed and I can't seem to find my way back.

I haven't tried all the diets out there. .I'm not a "dieter" I did do weight watchers once.. and I used to drink slim fast and carnation although I didn't follow their diet. Weight watchers did work, but i think that's because I could eat anything. I just had to account for it.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Interesting take on jump starting weight loss. The long haul is loads and loads of education...of which I am still actively pursuing.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    and....I am struggling with the last few lbs and my falling off the healthy eating wagon. I am going to read the book and see what it is about. 17 days....yes!!!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    and....I am struggling with the last few lbs and my falling off the healthy eating wagon. I am going to read the book and see what it is about. 17 days....yes!!!

That;s my theory. If I hate it or it's too hard or i'm hungry or something. I'll just eat more and use whatever I learn from it to help me. Nothing to lose but weight :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ughhh why was this re-bumped?

Cause someone was told to search and they did...:laugh:

And to have you in on it again....:flowerforyou:
  • MeganMcBane
    MeganMcBane Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Geeez I'm sorry I asked the question!!!!! Trust me I hate diet's! Hell I know there are no magic pill to lose weight!! I am looking at this as a life style change in my life. I know the way to be successful is calories in, calories out. I am in no rush to lose my weight! Slow n steady wins the race

you hate diets but you are doing the 17 day diet???

If you know all this, why are you doing the 17 day diet..?

The diet is not 17 days...each phase is 17 days... You should google before you make comments like this.
  • MeganMcBane
    Options
    Reading these comments is so frustrating. First of all... is this site not to help, motivate, and push people to reach their goals? Not make fun of people and bash their decisions on trying something new. MFP should have a team of people monitoring this site and delete the negative nancys on here... go to facebook with the crap! Also- I LAUGH reading comments like "it takes more than 17 days to get healthy this is a fad diet blah blah blah" one word...GOOGLE. This is NOT a fad diet but a way to teach people to be aware of what they are eating and how much they are eating. Unlike most FAD diets, this one starts off with a phase to make you lose pounds quickly to jump start weightloss but slowly brings you to a point that you are just eating healthy like any other person does. Unlike some "diets", it doesn't have you lose 50lbs in a couple months, and then leave you saying "ok what next?" Its a lifestyle change and educates you on eating healthy and NOT dieting. The book should not even have the word DIET in it and each cycle is 17 days. <-- That is for anyone who forgot to google before they decided to put their two cents in. I have tried EVERYTHING including the 17 day diet and yes it worked wonderful for ME and I highly recommend it for anyone to TRY. But not every diet or program works for everyone. I like to try things to see what works for me. (I also do not comment on things I know nothing about- but again that's just me). Like I said, I wish people who have not tried something would just butt out and for the people who have, be honest. The 17 day diet is by no means dangerous so I do not see the reason for all of the bashing. Like I said, go to facbook with the crap.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    But not every diet or program works for everyone. I like to try things to see what works for me. (I also do not comment on things I know nothing about- but again that's just me). Like I said, I wish people who have not tried something would just butt out and for the people who have, be honest. The 17 day diet is by no means dangerous so I do not see the reason for all of the bashing. Like I said, go to facbook with the crap.

How many calories are you eating on the 17 day diet?
  • MeganMcBane
    Options
    But not every diet or program works for everyone. I like to try things to see what works for me. (I also do not comment on things I know nothing about- but again that's just me). Like I said, I wish people who have not tried something would just butt out and for the people who have, be honest. The 17 day diet is by no means dangerous so I do not see the reason for all of the bashing. Like I said, go to facbook with the crap.

I am not currently doing the 17 day diet. I finished the diet a while back and just eat healthy now using what I have learned from the diet. When I am maintaining, I eat around 1,800 cals a day but am currently eating 1,400 because I need to lose a few pounds.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I did it when it first came out. I never felt hungry, because according to the instructions, you eat whenever you are hungry. It's high in protein and veggies and fruits. You drink lots of water. Basically, you eat how you should.

The hardest part for me was not eating processed carbs, so I allowed myself one serving of crackers daily during the first cycle.

If you google recipes, you will find plenty to give this diet plenty of variety.

I only had to do the first 2 cycles (about a month) to lose the amount of weight I wanted. I stayed active and it was a great starting point for me to eat healthy and not just grab junk like I had done my whole life.

It's great for that person who wants to lose weight AND be healthy but doesn't know how to start. The variety and suggested menus takes the guesswork out of an emergence into a new, healthier lifestyle. I know many people say eat at a calorie deficit but some people are compulsive and cannot do that without some structure, which is exactly what this book offers.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

When I did it I didn't track them. But I lost my initial 25lbs using that eating plan prior to joining MFP. but that being said it depends on the day...on days I was hungry I ate a tonne of food from chicken/fish to salads yogurt etc. On days I wasn't hungry who knows...that was the first 17days...2nd 17days probably under1500 but over 1200. I was losing about .5 to 1lb a week.