Serious Question

Options
If you are going to give me stupid, non-sense comments, please hold onto them and give them to someone who cares.

I hope maybe you can help me. I love going to my new gym, however, with all my stinken injuries I am finding it really hard. I cannot do upper body because of my shoulder (torn rotator cuff, torn bicep) and now I have achilles tendonitis I think (hopefully its not torn). I cannot walk on the treadmill which I love because of the achilles. Can you give me some suggestions on what I can do? I know this sounds like a SUPER stupid question, but I am lost. I do the bike and like it, but am I really burning anything off? Anyway if you have any suggestions, I will be open to them.

Replies

• mrsg2006
    mrsg2006 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    What about the elliptical trainer? Much less impact than treadmill...
    Is there a trainer at the gym you can talk to?
    Good luck with recoverinig and finding workouts you can do!
  • samammay
    Options
    I ride my bike for exercise and if you believe the calculators across the internet I burned almost 1000 calories this morning. While it might not be as widespread (body-wise) as other forms of cardio, burn is burn and my heart is still pumping hard.
  • Erica6130
    Erica6130 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Stats? I think at this point you will have to get your nutrition in check....since you are limited to what you can do in the gym.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have problems as well. Definitely try the elliptical, and maybe take a gander at some of the other low-impact stuff. Do they offer a Yoga class? Spinning is an excellent way to burn calories (that would be the bike-thing....). Yes, doing the bike will burn calories! How about a swimming pool?
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    known a few women who had achilles issues.. Spin and then spin again.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    See your doctor about your heel. When I strained my achilles tendon, my doctor said no impact on it for a couple of weeks or it could tear, so be careful. She even nixed riding the bike and push ups.

I currently have a pinched nerve in my back and I'm starting pilates as a low impact way to strengthen my core.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I would second the elliptical suggestion. Also bicycling and maybe water aerobics if your gym has that option.

A bit of unsolicited advice as well: If you're the kind of person who feels the need to preface their post with a snarky admonishment against "stupid" comments, even when the content of your message doesn't include anything that could be considered controversial and therefore invite "stupid" comments, maybe you shouldn't be using a forum. Or grow a thicker skin.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Crunches, corkscrews, and various other core/ab exercises.

ETA: Bike is a very good rehabilitation exercise for your achilles, as others have said. And yes, you are burning calories doing it. Doing ANYTHING is always better than doing nothing! :-)
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    What I want to know is how you managed all these injuries in the first place. Those are some pretty serious ones.

Obviously you need to change something in your workout life if you're injuring yourself that severely. Either that or you're the type of person who likes to make excuses as to why they can't workout "the way they want to." Either way, something needs to change.

Of course you're burning calories on the bike, you were right about these questions being potentially stupid. Just because you're seated doesn't mean you aren't working.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    First I would get to the doctor and have them make sure it's not a tear. Unfortunately achille's tendonitis or god forbid a tear is going to take some rest to heal. If you keep working it you could make it worse. So make sure you know what you're dealing with before you continue to push on. If you get the go-ahead for exercise then biking is a great way to keep it lower impact. You can choose the strength or rolling hills or even maunally add in hills to help with better calorie burn. Check in with your doctor and/or physical therapist to see about strengthening exerfcise you should be doing for your rotator and bicep if they're at that level already. Since you can't make up for any diet discrepencies with exercise being a little more strict with your food consumption can help you either maintain or continue to lose while you're on the mend.

DON'T just push through pain or keep going if you know that you have an injury, being sidlined for a couple weeks while things heal up is way better than doing permanent damage or needing surgery.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the bike, there is absolutely nothing wrong with using that as your primary cardio. Does your gym have spinning classes? Spinning will give you a fantastic burn. There is also swimming if there is a pool. Are the tears full thickness or partial? If they are partial, you might be able to do some low weight upper body work you could do to strengthen what you do have available and help prevent further damage. I would talk to a trainer or possibly take four weeks of physical therapy to see what you are able to do. The body is amazing and you might be surprised what you are able to do. Good luck!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is how you managed all these injuries in the first place. Those are some pretty serious ones.

Obviously you need to change something in your workout life if you're injuring yourself that severely. Either that or you're the type of person who likes to make excuses as to why they can't workout "the way they want to." Either way, something needs to change.

Of course you're burning calories on the bike, you were right about these questions being potentially stupid. Just because you're seated doesn't mean you aren't working.

Geez, all that and no suggestions as to what she should do? :-/
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    the bike actually burns more than you think it does. But, there is always the elliptical, too, if you can do that.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a pool? Swimming (strokes that don't hurt your rotator cuff) is great non impact exercise. Also, see if they have water classes - aerobics, water walking, etc.
  • markheusser
    markheusser Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Swim...best thing for your body
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you bike with effort, then you're burning calories.

I also suggest swimming.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If you are going to give me stupid, non-sense comments, please hold onto them and give them to someone who cares.

I hope maybe you can help me. I love going to my new gym, however, with all my stinken injuries I am finding it really hard. I cannot do upper body because of my shoulder (torn rotator cuff, torn bicep) and now I have achilles tendonitis I think (hopefully its not torn). I cannot walk on the treadmill which I love because of the achilles. Can you give me some suggestions on what I can do? I know this sounds like a SUPER stupid question, but I am lost. I do the bike and like it, but am I really burning anything off? Anyway if you have any suggestions, I will be open to them.

Have you thought about having surgery to repair the rotator cuff/bicep? Take some ibuprofen for the achilles.....and go to the doc to see what's wrong instead of self diagnosing. For now.....ride the bike and watch your diet extremely carefully......You've said you can't really walk or use upper body.....There's not much left.
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would recommend meeting with a physical therapist who can give you some suggestions for exercise that you can do to repair and strengthen your injured areas.

Also if biking isn't making your injuries worse, go for it. Also 2nd the recommendations for swimming and yoga, and would throw pilates in there too.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    The gym that you go to...Do they have certified Trainers? A certified trainer should be able to set up a workout for an injured person
  • BigD06
    BigD06 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the pool until you get healthy....and then I'd seek actual instruction for the weight training so that you can avoid injuries you might get from bad form.......