How do you do it?

Options

Replies

• samammay
    Options
    "I don't have time" is the #1 excuse used by overweight people. While it may be true as to why you dont get 6 1 hour workouts in a week, it is no excuse for being overweight. "I dont have time to eat less". Really? Its less food... its less time to eat it. :)

President Obama works out 3-4 times a week and im pretty sure he is busier than any of us.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You find the time by making the time, by making it a priority.

I work out on my lunch breaks - go for runs usually, or some sort of fitness mash-up of random things I can do on park benches, playgrounds, etc. I plan ahead and make sure my meals are healthy. I don't buy things that I don't want to eat or keep in the house. I also plan my workouts like unavoidable appointments to keep with myself. More than that, I plan to do activities I truly enjoy, so it's hard for me to want to miss it.

People make time for the things that they want to, and don't for things they don't. It really is that simple.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm clock extra early to get about an hour of exercise time into my schedule before breakfast.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

President Obama works out 3-4 times a week and im pretty sure he is busier than any of us.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *falls out of chair laughing*
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    The first thing I do when I register for a new term is to figure out where I'm going to fit in my workouts. It's a priority and it's non-negotiable. Sometimes I get home later than I would like, but that's just how it has to be.

That's what I do too. I start the new lineup a week or two before the semester starts, so I'm adjusted to it before the extra tired sets in.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    you just do it!
    how bad do you want it?
    I start at 4am.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

qft
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I switched to six days a week of 30 minutes of cycling (or walking) at early lunch, then lifting 15 minutes(one muscle a day). After 47 years in the gym, I LOVE it.

I have the same problem with work, granddaughter, mother in law and now my mom in Skilled Nursing from last year's HUGE stroke. I was just NOT driving to my friends wonderful backyard gym (since 1970).

Now I get my cardio and lifting done in 45 minutes at lunch(at work).
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My priority list

My health
    My Spouse
    My kids
    My job
    Household chores, errands, the "have tos" in life
    Family and friends

How do I balance a marriage, 3 school age kids, a full time (very busy) career, a second job on weekends, coaching kid's volleyball team, and living a very healthy lifestyle? I don't resist life. I don't clutter my mind with things like worrying about what others will think if I do "weird" things like hit the gym at 2:30 am on work days, or pack all my meals with me wherever i go then pulling them out in random places to chow down, or choosing to ride my mountain bike for a 30+ miles on my day off, rather than going to the bar with friends, or choosing to hit the gym at 9 pm when an out of town work confernence wraps up for the day, rather than going to dinner and drinks with co-workers, etc. I don't care about how others view my life or how I live it because I know that when I die, I will be able to say that I lived because I am healthy enough to climb huge mountain peaks in the Rocky Mountains, or ride my mountain bike on the backside of some wicked ski hills, or pack my four year old on my back for a day trip into the wilderness, etc. I take my family with me and my spouse is equally active. We lift together every day, spotting and pushing one another. This is our closest bonding time. My oldest daughter is getting into lifting as well. I coach her volleyball team, so we bond over that activity and take one on one mom time seriously after practices and games. My middle daughter dances, so I watch her and support her in her events, even though I have two left feet and don't participate. She helps me cook and clean the house, so we talk about boys and drama at that time, usually. I cook meals for myself for the work week on sundays (I eat pretty much all whole foods that are easy to pack and prepare), and I have a protein source in the fridge at all times for anyone in the family that needs a snack. The kids pack thier own lunches, but know what macros are and how to balance them for optimal energy throughout the day. We taught them young. We don't do traditional. We don't sit down to dinner together. We all eat as we go, but it is healthy. Instead, we play together at the end of the day when all our "have tos" and personal activities are over. We keep in touch all day long through phones, so communication is never missing. When I am bartending (my second job) I am writing out to do lists for the next morning when I'm off, so I am organized and stay ahead of our busy life. I am also planning volleyball drills and updating my food and workout logs at this time. We don't have a TV. We don't have a computer. We don't go to bars or to fancy dinners. I have one day off a week where the girls are in school, I don't have to go to either job, and I make sure to reserve this day for errands and appointments if needed, otherwise, it is all me. I do something I enjoy. My other half is home on this day every other week, so we go on a date day trip, which is always something active like snowboarding, hiking, or biking. The point is....it is a lifestyle that we have created over time. It all blends together and works because we enjoy it and don't resist it. We don't say things like, "I HAVE to go to the gym..ugh." Instead, its "YES!!!! GYM TIME!!!" :-) I hope this helps someone.....
  • shonnaatch
    shonnaatch Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Granted, I just hopped on the bandwagon 10 days ago, but I always used the "I'm too busy excuse" myself. I work full-time, own my own business that I work at every evening and on some weekends and have three BUSY teenagers that I spend all of my free time chasing around. I finally came to realize that my life isn't going to get any less busy, so if I truly WANT this...I just have to do it. And I am. It means getting up at 5:30 and doing a quick, but strenuous, 30 minute cardio workout in the morning before work and then doing longer bouts (45-60 minutes) in the mornings on the weekends before everyone else gets up. Like I said, it has only been 10 days I've been at this, but it's something I feel like I can sustain.

And meal planning and shopping on Sundays has become a TOP priority. I know I will not succeed if I don't plan out what I will eat for the week. So, I plan and track everything and just make sure I have a deficit at the end of the day. It really is pretty simple when you finally give up the excuses and just do it.
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Commit to building consistency. I get up at 4 a.m. to work out most days. Once it's done, it's done and I can move on with my day.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time" "I'll do it later when I get the chance" A couple of my excuses. I put it off for years and finally got to my breaking point. I had to decide it I wanted to get up earlier and workout or get home after a long day of work and workout. I chose the first one. At first, getting up at 5 am was a lil hard but I got used to it. Now I just go to bed a little earlier :) The plus side to getting up early: You have so much more energy to go thru the day :)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I make time to workout. That means waking up at 5am everyday to hit the gym
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time" is the #1 excuse used by overweight people. While it may be true as to why you dont get 6 1 hour workouts in a week, it is no excuse for being overweight. "I dont have time to eat less". Really? Its less food... its less time to eat it. :)

I bet his wife makes him do it too. We all need supportive people for motivation.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I get up an hour earlier every day to go to the gym. Before my lifestyle change I got up at 5, now I get up at 4. I don't usually go to bed any earlier. I've found that the working out gives me the energy I need so it makes up for the sleep I lose. As for eating healthy, I alternate between just a couple of things for breakfast and lunch from day to day. For dinner I keep things on hand that are healthy and fairly easy to prepare like frozen fish filets, frozen chicken breast, fresh produce or frozen vegetables. I cook enough brown rice, quinoa, etc. on the weekends to keep in the fridge and use as needed throughout the week.

It's really all about making time to do the things that are important to you.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have 2 hours between getting out of work and picking my son up. I try to work out then and food shop and do all the little errands since i can't do any of it during homework time and the little bugger likes to eat dinner every damn day (some nerve eh??) I'll also run to the store during lunch if it's just a quick trip or walk/jog around the block after he goes to bed. I have workout videos at home that i can do in the morning or after he goes to bed too (too distracting while homework is happening) And i'm a single parent of a teen who participates in football, band and boy scouts and who has anywhere from 2-4 hours of homework per night. I also cook from scratch every night and have jam packed weekends.

You just make the time.

Simple.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Exercise doesn't need to be restricted to the "gym". You need to find ways to fit extra movement into your day where you can. Park further from the door where you work, or get off the bus one stop sooner. Take the stairs rather than the elevator. Use a bathroom further from your "workstation". Walk to lunch if you eat out. You should be able to find "many" small blocks of time during your day where you can increase your movement. It may not gain you many calories, but every little bit is useful for improving your general health, and that's the whole point, isn't it?
  • SharonCMach
    SharonCMach Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I wake up early in the morning and get in some exercise before work. Currently Im doing the Focus T25 program from Beachbody.com, Im really enjoying it. Before that I was doing the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. I work out at a local gym during my lunch hour as well. You just have to make time the best you can. I have a full time job, husband & son and I always find time to get my workouts in.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

qft

:noway: :laugh: :drinker:

busy playing golf maybe and taking trips on our dime..
  • adepko
    adepko Posts: 58 Member
    Options

This is hysterical. :) Thank you!