Does it matter when you drnk your whey protein shake?

Options
2»

Replies

• RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesnt matter, you can have it when ever you want.

This is true. Before workout, after workout, or for a meal, it doesn't matter. I've been drinking protein shakes every day , several times a day now for a couple of years.
  • RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    since i never believed this advice in the first place, i have no compelling reason to adopt it. for others who have always followed it, i'm sure their conclusion is that there is no compelling reason to cease following it.

I like and that's what I go by.
    Personally I have one whenever I get home. I don't rush but it just feels good to get a big glass of cold yummi shake into me after a tough work out. But then again I might have just conditioned myself (Pavlov's dog and such).

I know some friends get indigestion and just can't stomach a shake or meal after certain types of work outs.
    Soooo everyones their own.
  • love9705
    love9705 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    The recommendation I have always been giving is to drink it after a workout between 30 to 45 minutes after. This is the repair and recovery time for the muscles you have just worked out. Here is also what I found on google.

The first thing to realize is that protein shakes are intended to be supplemental to your regular whole meals — not replacements for whole meals. So if you view it that way, you should typically be consuming no more than 2-3 shakes a day on your workout days, and 1-2 (if any) protein shakes on your non-workout days.

In general, the two most critical times for drinking a protein shake are:

First thing in the morning
    Immediately following your resistance or weight training workout

The second key window of opportunity for drinking a protein shake is immediately following your resistance or weight training workout.

During this 30-60 minute post-workout window, your muscles are like sponges and take up nutrients — including protein — very quickly as part of the repair and recovery process. Your body also utilizes carbohydrates more efficiently during this period, due to increased insulin sensitivity, so drinking your protein shake with some simple carbs can help the body more efficient absorb amino acids and utilize them for ongoing tissue repair and growth.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    There are studies showing that protein timing matters little but there are other factors at work not considered there, with energy levels being the main one. Splitting up your consumption of macros throughout the day may not affect the bio mechanics of muscle building that much but it will affect your energy levels and that will in turn affect your workouts and ultimately your muscle gains. So to cover your bases just eat eat food including protein multiple times per day.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    The recommendation I have always been giving is to drink it after a workout between 30 to 45 minutes after. This is the repair and recovery time for the muscles you have just worked out. Here is also what I found on google.

The first thing to realize is that protein shakes are intended to be supplemental to your regular whole meals — not replacements for whole meals. So if you view it that way, you should typically be consuming no more than 2-3 shakes a day on your workout days, and 1-2 (if any) protein shakes on your non-workout days.

The second key window of opportunity for drinking a protein shake is immediately following your resistance or weight training workout.

During this 30-60 minute post-workout window, your muscles are like sponges and take up nutrients — including protein — very quickly as part of the repair and recovery process. Your body also utilizes carbohydrates more efficiently during this period, due to increased insulin sensitivity, so drinking your protein shake with some simple carbs can help the body more efficient absorb amino acids and utilize them for ongoing tissue repair and growth.

There is no critical post workout anabolic window of 30-60 minutes. And do you honestly believe the repair and recovery time for muscles is 30-45 minutes post workout?? The supplement companies take a snippet of a study and highlight points in order to sell more product. Most people who believe they NEED to ingest protein 30 minutes after a workout will opt for a protein shake because its no hassle. The anabolic window for hightened muslce protein synthesis is more like 24 hours, not 30 minutes.

2-3 protein shakes a day on training days? Why? What's your basis to back this up? If one can get all of their protein needs from whole foods, there is ZERO reason to consume protein shakes. Shakes are not magical. In fact, I look at protein shakes as just another (cheap, and tasty) food source to help me hit my protein needs.

Reading fitness articles from Google is a main reason that there is so much misinformation in the first place.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I followed a plan where I had the option of having a whey protein shake for breakfast or a snack. They specifically recommended NOT to have the shake as a PM snack; not sure why, though, but I always had mine for breakfast so I didn't worry about it.

whom ever "THEY" are, they're full of ****.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

There is no critical post workout anabolic window of 30-60 minutes. And do you honestly believe the repair and recovery time for muscles is 30-45 minutes post workout?? The supplement companies take a snippet of a study and highlight points in order to sell more product. Most people who believe they NEED to ingest protein 30 minutes after a workout will opt for a protein shake because its no hassle. The anabolic window for hightened muslce protein synthesis is more like 24 hours, not 30 minutes.

2-3 protein shakes a day on training days? Why? What's your basis to back this up? If one can get all of their protein needs from whole foods, there is ZERO reason to consume protein shakes. Shakes are not magical. In fact, I look at protein shakes as just another (cheap, and tasty) food source to help me hit my protein needs.

Reading fitness articles from Google is a main reason that there is so much misinformation in the first place.

Best advise yet and truthful! I agree 100 % !!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    The anabolic window for hightened muslce protein synthesis is more like 24 hours, not 30 minutes.

I agree with the likelihood of the 30 minutes, but upon what are you basing 24 hours?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    The anabolic window for hightened muslce protein synthesis is more like 24 hours, not 30 minutes.

I agree with the likelihood of the 30 minutes, but upon what are you basing 24 hours?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8563679