I just want to run...

Options
PennyM140
PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
...but my body hates it. I've tried a few times before. Used Couch to 5k apps. I alway quit because something hurts. Usually it's shin splints. I decided to try again with a goal of being able to run a mile. Monday I ran as much as I could and walked the rest. Tuesday I used the elliptical. Tonight I ran outside again and did more running than walking but my right knee started aching a little as I was running. Now that I'm home it is throbbing. Not excruciating, but enough that it is uncomfortable. I put ice on it for about 15 min.
My shins feel fine right now.
Any idea what this thing with the knee is? It's just above my knee on the inner side. I'm planning on either using the elliptical again tomorrow or just resting depending on how it feels. Is this something I can work through? Or should I stay off it until the pain goes away?
Why can't I just run and not hurt anything?
I am over weight but not so much that I think I'm too big to run. I'm 5' 9" 180 pounds.
Just looking for any advice, tips on how to start running and stay injury free.
Thanks

Replies

• Nicoleace22
    Nicoleace22 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Honestly I want to know to. I kind of gave up.:cry:

Everything hurts. I can do 30DS. I can do pilates. I can swim but running or even jogging kills me.

Please answer her question. Inquiring minds want to know.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? Did you get fitted for running shoes??? I would start there if you already have not... Best of Luck
  • Leah_Brooke
    Leah_Brooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My shins ****ing KILL when i run...
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    What kind of shoes are you wearing? Did you get fitted for running shoes??? I would start there if you already have not... Best of Luck

exactly this.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I would love to be a runner, I've tried multiple times, and I hurt for days.
  • Coraddy
    Options
    Yeah.I think the right shoes make a huge difference.Also, you want to make sure you have the right form when running, though I'd say jog not run, personally.You can look up techniques online or get a book at the library.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Try by walking and then when your legs are warmed up, just jog a little, when you are winded or tired, walk again and just keep up that routine for several days. You will find that SOON you are jogging more than you are walking and then you are on your way. Running is by far the best way to lose weight along with improved eating of course..
    And it is normal for things to hurt when start doing something you haven't done before. But keep at it!! Walk, jog, walk jog. your body will get used to it. But take it easy . There isn't any rush

Basil

Basil
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    here's an article that helps me tons. Usually pain in the knee has nothing to do with the knee at all. It has to do with the way you place your foot and the support and the strength in your thighs. Do the exercises plus other strength training. Always stretch, yoga is actually a runners best friend. There will be days it still hurts but it shouldn't be as bad.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/183.shtml#quads -this is the article for the exercises for shin splints, thighs etc.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options

exactly this.

Yea, good shoes make a massive difference!
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You are going to find new pains and aches. Your doing new things to your body that is not use too. Just take it easy I did c25k on the treadmill its a 8 week program but it took me 12 starting out your going to need rest days i wouldnt push yourself to hard to fast. Its not a race. You got this. Good shoes help alot.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Same boat here. I always end up switching back to something else. Can recommend Epsom Salts in the bath for the pain though it does wonders :happy:
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had knee pain about a week after I started jogging too. I am about 5'9" and in the 165 range when I started jogging...Run on asphalt instead of sidewalk if you can. Get good running shoes--there are CRAZY good running shoes out there, but I don't have that kind of money. I went and got a pair of Saucony shoes that were actually made for running--that I could actually afford. (I have some NB too, and they've been great). Everyone is different, but I'd say give it a rest day, ice it, take ibuprofen and see if you can work through it...don't push yourself too hard and hurt yourself, but let your body try to get used to it. It worked for me!!
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Ok, I get the thing about the shoes. And if I can ever get "into" running I can see spending the money on that for sure. I wear nike running shoes. Not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. They are lightweight and flexible.
    But shouldn't I be able to do a bit of light jogging (because that more accurately describes what I call running at this point) with just a decent pair of shoes? If I'm wrong please tell me but for the amount of running that I have done so far it seems to me like those shoes should've been ok.
  • CyberEd312
    Options
    to add you really need to go to a running store and have them watch your gate, whether your a mid foot striker, fore foot striker, etc. and then they will suggestion the right shoe for you (well more than likely they will give you a choice of a couple different pairs and you can try them around the store, the store I go to even lets me go out on the sidewalks out front and do alittle jogging to try them out.. I found the perfect shoe for me that way.... Best of Luck.....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Ok, I get the thing about the shoes. And if I can ever get "into" running I can see spending the money on that for sure. I wear nike running shoes. Not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. They are lightweight and flexible.
    But shouldn't I be able to do a bit of light jogging (because that more accurately describes what I call running at this point) with just a decent pair of shoes? If I'm wrong please tell me but for the amount of running that I have done so far it seems to me like those shoes should've been ok.
    doesn't matter what brand it is.. or how light or flexible they are.

If you're wearing shoes that don't work for your feet, it's like putting square tires on a car and expecting a smooth ride.

If you're gonna run, or want to make the experience enjoyable... go get fitted at a legit running store.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I started running in January and I think everything hurt at some point but I've almost worked it all out. Right now I am dealing with my right hip flexor. It gives me fits on long runs.....8 miles or more.
    Here is what I learned early on. To help with shin splints and/or calf soreness shorten the stride of your run. If your stride is to long your using more of those muscles.
    Warm up with doing a very light jog. Then when you feel a little warmed up go a little faster. The Endomondo app they advertise on here is pretty awesome. I use it all the time.
    Your body is gonna hurt because your tearing it down. You need to learn to also eat correctly to fuel it up for the runs and then feed it when your done. I am still learning this myself but have learned a bunch. I joined a local running group here in San Antonio and I would suggest any of you who are reading this and want to get serious about running to do the same. LOTS of knowledge and don't be scared.......there are all sorts of people in these groups. Some just like you and others who use to be like you. Good luck.

Superdave
  • Trarbach
    Options
    Its been a few years since I have ran but the day I decided to run cross country was when my pains went to the wayside,I am sure it was the surface. As you might might guess on my experience. Since I cannot duplicate conditions I have since stopped.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options

as I said in my comment about it's not just about the shoes but the way you place your foot as you run. if your feet are curving inwards or outwards too much then your legs aren't getting the right support. The knee pain could also be because of a lack of muscle in the thighs. take a look at these articles for exercises on how to strengthen the shins and thighs.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/183.shtml#quads -this is the article for the exercises for shin splints, thighs etc.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I hate to break it too you but sometimes running hurts. But, there are things you can do to minimize the pain. Invest in good running shoes, they really do help. They can decrease shin pain and improve foot comfort. Read up on good form and keep it in mind while running, proper arm placement, foot placement and rhythm can make a big difference. The more you run the stronger your muscles become and the less pain you will have, some times you just have to build up the muscles around your shin and the pain will start to go away. If your knee is hurt BAD don't run on it, go home and google massage techniques for the area that is hurting and give it some attention. There are some hurts that you have to push throug,h because until you get used to it your body is going to be sore, you just have to have good discretion when it comes to the pain. Don't let yourself get off easy but don't over due it all at once and really hurt yourself. Start slow! Even if you have to walk for three days a week, then incorporate at a slow jog the next week and keep increasing that until your ready to really get going. Over all HAVE fun! nature is beautiful' your body is beautiful and you are more than capable of kicking butt!
  • CyberEd312
    Options

4 years ago I was unable to walk period, I spent 17 months in a pool just so I can could stand long enough to exercise to get the weight off so that i could get fitted with knee braces (severely bad knee's) so that I could start walking (not jogging) and I went and got fitted for walking shoes then and used them up until I was ready to attempt light jogging and at that time went back to the same running store and my shoe went from a firmer support shoe to a completely neutral shoe (actually I am in minimalist shoes now, Brook PureFow2's). My knee's will not allow me to run but I do jogging and in my opinion your shoes are extremely important and worth the price... I have not had any feet issues throughout this transition.... No blister, foot or heal pain, etc..... This is totally my own experience but just putting it out there.... Best of Luck
This discussion has been closed.