Zumba = bulky muscles?

Options
Hi everyone. I am interested in doing some Zumba, but I told my friend this and she said if I do Zumba a lot my calf muscles will get bulky from all the dancing. I do want to do zumba, but I don't want bulky muscles though. Should I do it anyway?

Replies

• godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yes! Zumba is great for a cardio workout. No, you will not get bulky muscles at all. Your muscles should get toned, but not bulky. Haven't you seen pictures of the Zumba dancers? They look amazing.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Zumba for two years and my leg muscles have never gotten bulky. O.o
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You don't get bulky from exercise, you only get bulky from eating a lot calories.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Been doing Zumba for 2 months...no bulky calves here. Great cardio
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke? Wrong on so many levels...
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    ...I just... I can't...

...no, it won't. It is a great cardiovascular exercise, and a fun one at that! You won't, however, get 'bulky'.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ignore the snark. We're all at different places in our fitness and health education journeys.

But I agree, go forth and Zumba. You won't get bulky.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Is this a joke? Wrong on so many levels...

I call troll
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to do a video called "ladies Stop using the word bulky!!!" ....and "toned" too for that matter
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Yup. I also throw some pilates in the mix and i think i should be stage ready by the end of the year :wink:
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Too funny! Dancers are toned not bulky! Takes very hard work to build calf muscles!!
  • time2change14
    Options
  • time2change14
    Options
    Hi I want to apologize to some of you who thought this question was a joke. No, I really wondered about it. I'm sorry if I upset anyone, that was not my intention. I'm very new to the whole diet & fitness thing so I don't know much about really anything. Bulky muscles is not my goal, I prefer looking skinny, but in a healthy way.

But thank you for all the answers. I guess it was a silly question...sorry about that. I guess I should look into a zumba class.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Everyone will react to zumba differently. Most people will not get get bulky anywhere from it, maybe your friend did but she may be more prone to building muscle or her definition of bulky may not be what the rest of us would call bulky. I've not seen anyone get bulky from doing zumba, zumba is cardio and women don't have the testosterone to get bulky. So if you just wanna dance off some calories and feel sexy and shake your bum while getting in a great cardio workout, go for it. It's a lot of fun.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Anytime I hear women obsessing about exercise making them 'bulky'...:mad: :explode:
    Where's that 'nope' GIF that ends with the person flying off in a rocket?
    Seriously...I know what's making me 'bulky' these days - stuffing my gob. NOT any form of exercise.

On an unrelated note I saw a telemarketing ad for some fitness/weight loss for women programme, recommending cardio and light weights as women get 'too bulky' on heavier lifting programmes :explode: :explode:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Is your friend an expert on zumba? Or on building muscles?

You can always rely on a straight answer on MFP - sometimes it might come across as a bit blunt, but you'll get an answer :smile:
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    "Bulky"..... I despise that word -_- Zumba is just cardio; I do it all the time. It's super fun and I'd really recommend it ^_^ You will NOT get "bulky" from it; that's ridiculous >.< That irrational fear is the reason a lot of women don't weight train. Please believe me when I tell you that unless you take artificial hormones to raise your testosterone levels or other competition-type drugs, or work your *kitten* off weight lifting for a WHILE, you will not get "bulky." Zumba is a great and fun form of cardio :)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    The last time I commented on a thread like this it was deemed to be 'not constructive' and negative to the OP... seeing as I don't want another strike right now, I'm just gonna go ahead and say no. Zumba will not make you bulky.

Years of strength training and copious amounts of steroids will make you bulky... not much else will.
  • dianamatienzo
    Options
    Hi I want to apologize to some of you who thought this question was a joke. No, I really wondered about it. I'm sorry if I upset anyone, that was not my intention. I'm very new to the whole diet & fitness thing so I don't know much about really anything. Bulky muscles is not my goal, I prefer looking skinny, but in a healthy way.

But thank you for all the answers. I guess it was a silly question...sorry about that. I guess I should look into a zumba class.

Don't worry about it! It's not your fault! We're fed to believe that women should stick to running and yoga and band resistance training ("light" weights) and leave the squats, deadlifts, bench press, or any heavy lifting to the men because we'll get "bulky." It's all lies. We're not built like men; and it's even hard for MEN to get really muscular :P So there's no need to apologize :) It wasn't a silly question because it was really something you were wondering! We all have different knowledge and the sharing of it is what helps us all grow! :)
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options

Don't worry about it! It's not your fault! We're fed to believe that women should stick to running and yoga and band resistance training ("light" weights) and leave the squats, deadlifts, bench press, or any heavy lifting to the men because we'll get "bulky." It's all lies. We're not built like men; and it's even hard for MEN to get really muscular :P So there's no need to apologize :) It wasn't a silly question because it was really something you were wondering! We all have different knowledge and the sharing of it is what helps us all grow! :)

Also, there does seem to be a lot of people who come to forums like this to ask silly questions on purpose as jokes or just to rile up posters and a lot of commenters are so used to them that they assume that most people are just trying to get a rise out of people. But everywhere starts out knowing or thinking different things and learns as they go along and even then, no two people will ever fully agree about things anyway.

But if you want to stay lean and skinny I say do yoga. How many super muscular dancers do you see really?