Tall Women and Weight

Options

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm a guy, but I'm 6'6" so I can relate. Also, all these tall women getting into shape is pertinent to my interests :)

Keep it up, ladies! You're looking great, all of you. Especially that one. you know who you are.
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am 5'11" with a large frame (I even have a large hat size and size 12 feet). I'm a big lady, overall. I started out at 325. I have been stalled out around 260 for the last couple of years though my lowest to date was 249 - I am pretty proud of having maintained the big loss at least for three + years.

I have always figured I would aim for 180 and then see how my body feels. It is hard to talk about this type of goal with anyone who isn't tall because when you tell them you still think you have 80lbs to lose, they think you're a complete nutjob and discourage it - forgetting where you are. Also, nobody ever believes you when you tell them how heavy you are. :P
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You are singing my tune sister! 5'11" too and goal weight #1 is 180lbs.

I call 170lbs my fighting weight. I'll worry about that when I lose this next six...

It used to be when I got up to 180lbs, I'd have to buy size 16 pants, but I'm at 186lbs and I wear size 14. Who really knows? I just have a lot of clothes I spent a lot of money on that I would like to wear again...mostly size 12.
  • shushu206
    Options
    I'm 5.7 and weigh 157lb. i'm not as tall as everyone else here, but completely agree that height hides weight better. I started off as 170 and most people thought I was skinnier.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hey tall ladies.

I'm happy to weigh in with my experience. I am 5'10", my high weight was 287 lbs when I was a size 22 (maybe even 24 but I refused to size up). My lowest weight was 183 lbs and I was a size 12. I ended up regaining weight and at 225 I was size 16. I am now weighing in at 203lbs and am a size 14. I am personally aiming for 170, then I will re-evaluate my goals and work on body composition.

I have not gotten to this stage myself but based on everything I've read - there does come a point when continuing to lose doesn't necessarily help you look any healthier. That's when lifting and changing your body composition really matters. You want to replace the weight of your fat with the weight of those sexy muscles :) So: focus less on the number but how you look.

Your first two sentences caught my attention - that could EASILY be me. By chance, do you have any pics of what you looked like at other sizes? Feel free to add me as a friend :flowerforyou:
  • ninjakittens
    ninjakittens Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is what I used to be - in fact I think I may have been 135 or so at my lowest. I'm also a very slim frame so it looked really good on me. But I ate cleanly, ran every day and was fit and healthy. Now I'm still in the normal range but at the other end of it and I look awful and flabby - hate it! Aiming to get back to 140 or so - but much stronger with more muscle!
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and started at 184 with a goal of 165, but one of my doctors told me to shoot for 155, which I thought was impossible. Sure enough, I got to 165 and realized I could lose more. Now I'm at 157 and thinking I could perhaps go down to 150. Personal low as an adult is 147 but that was when I was hyperthyroid and I felt awful and had no muscle. I bought size 8 pants the other day which I think is some sort of crazy miracle--I NEVER thought I'd wear a single-digit size in pants.

All depends on how much muscle you put in and how your weight is distributed, so I totally agree with the others who say to set a first goal and then reassess once you get there.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Ladies - I see a lot of "..oh but I have a large frame...". If you do some research you'll find that the average weight difference from a small frame to a large, is +/- 5 lbs so please don't use that as an excuse not to reach a certain weight/goal.

Furthermore, frame size difference is mostly determined from the size of the joints, not the entire skeleton.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Don't really understand le question, but your build also factors into your goal weight. Not by too much (unless you have Elephant Man syndrome), but to a certain small extent.
    Height is not the one and only determining factor.
    You should measure your body fat percentage as that's a better marker for most. Mine is 25.6%, aiming for 24%.
    Also take your measurements, specifically around your waist as too much fat there increases the likelihood of certain diseases.
    The health limit is supposedly half your height in inches, but that's not the aesthetic measurement.

Edit: I'm 6'2 and 208lbs, aiming for 190.
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5'10.5 (I shrunk half an inch..not happy about that!) and at 24 I am 140 lbs.

I started out at 171 and even though tecnically not overweight I felt fat and uncomfortable. I'm a pear and tend to carry all my weight on my tighs, *kitten* and lower stomach. I hope to lose another 5-8 lbs (the last 10 are tricky to shift)

My BF % is 22 and BMI is 20 so I'm fairly happy with that. You can check out what I look like on my page (i posted a topic on finding something to wear yesterday) It really does depend on build though. Even though I'm supposed to have a small frame (going by wrist measurement or something I read online) I really don't feel small and always feel I stand out like a sore thumb! but I think that's just because I'm so much taller than all my friends. Feel free to add me (any tall ladies) and best of luck on your fitness journey :-) x
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Im 6ft and currently weigh about 187 lbs and aiming to lose 20 lbs.
    i have large feet/hands and a decent build but im quite narrow, so this extra weight looks odd on me.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and currently about 138-9. That is pretty light for me, but I'm really lean right now. I like this size but don't want to get any smaller. Currently a size 4 pants but recently had to get some 2s, which seems ridiculous. I have a medium frame--broad shoulders and a boyish figure with a booty. I love being this fit but am watching it because--at 40 years old--I don't want to get that "Real Housewives of OC" gaunt look, and don't want to start looking saggy! :P
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Im 6' in low 180's.
    I kind of agree with the snarky big bone vs small bone comment earlier.
    165 would be very healthy and it would be manageable to maintain. My BmI is just in the average zone now but I definitely need to loose at least 15pds to become less fatty & jiggly. That would make me healthy thin not skinny gross.

Fun Board to see all the differences in opinion. Specially the shorty's thinkin their tall ha ha. :)
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Nice to see some fellow tall women here, I am 180 cm (5'11) and 72kg (159lbs). I hope to get to a 70kg, maybe not much but I really had to make a change as I was going up on the scale and I need to find a way to stabilize again.

I have quite a big frame and I have come to peace with myself that I can loose all the weight but I will maintain a hips, broad shoulders and boobs. Even with the best will in the world I will not be able to wear certain clothes that looks nice on petite women and also when I put something on that does not have a V neck & tailored I will look like a big Michelin tube man.

Anybody else finding it sometimes difficult when you are taller to find good clothes that not only fit you but also look nice without being to bulky?

Yes! V difficult to find cute clothes when you're tall. Try Long Tall Sally or Boden (which carries most of their stuff in talls)
  • gwenr
    gwenr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am 5"11 a size 4 and 140 lbs and before you all say that is too thin I have a VERY tiny frame and my doctor is happy with my weight so so am I.

I totally get this. I"m also 5'11" and was most comfortable in the 135-140 weight range (thus my goal weight below). Just because we're tall doesn't mean we are also large framed, we can be small framed just like short women can!
  • CrazyVulcanLover
    Options
    I am 5'11". Right now my goal weight is 200. At 200, I would likely be a size 10. I've been 220 and a size 12 and was happy there. If I get to 200 and want to readjust my ideal weight--I will. I am not looking for thin, I am looking for curvy and healthy. When I was 220--my doc was not remotely concerned.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9", 34, and I don't remember the last time I was in Onederland. I started again on this journey again at 285 and down to 255. I set my goal to 200 because I wanted somewhere "to go," once I get there, I will evaluate it again because I have no clue how I will look, what size I will wear, etc.

I, too, am one of those girls that "hid the weight" well. My sister wears the same size as me, but is only 5'4", so things look very different on here than me, and she has been jealous the last couple years when we would go clothes shopping together. We have this tendecy to throw clothes over the walls in the fitting rooms. Because of my extra height, if something was long enough, it usually looks better on me. She would get so mad. But when we compared real numbers, my weight has always been much higher than hers, hence - clothes look better on me, but her weight is less.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11", I started out at 230 and now with building muscle I am now at a maintenance weight of 154.5. I did get down to 150 but building muscle I added back 4.5lbs but lost more inches. I have been at this new weight since May so almost 6 months.

I wear size S tops and size 6/8 bottoms. This is the smallest I have been in my adult life, even when I weight leaving high school I was heavier and wearing size 10s.

As for doctors, even at 230 when I was classified as obese by BMI my doctor in spite of growing health problems NEVER discussed weight or lifestyle changes. Loosing the weight and making major food changes I have seen all the health problems disappear.
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my highest was 210/215. I'm at 188 today. 3 years ago I was down to 160. I'm shooting for 165. I do have a large frame work. :) It's an everyday work in progress. Some days are definitely better than others.
  • xCharlotteEvex
    xCharlotteEvex Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and started at 230. Now I'm 226.5 - not a huge difference, but I just recommitted and the important thing is that the scale is going down, right? When I graduated high school in 2002, I was 150 and a size 10. I think I was a 14 at 208; now I'm a 16. I feel like it takes a LOT of weight loss for us to change sizes.

Couldn't agree more! I'm 5'10" and I started at 217 pushing a size 20, now at 165 and am between a big 14, but a 16 most the time on the bottom.. Aiming for 147lbs and a size 12! Tallness is awkward, however my gym trainer said that even when I was at 185lb my muscle/fat masses were absolutely fine and healthy. daft isn't it?