At home work outs!

Options
Hey everyone!
I'm a single mom of two beautiful girls, who works a full time job and runs around with her head cut off to take care of the children (explaining how i have this tummy is very difficult because I can make sense of it * XD * lol )
I don't have much time for the gym or classes, but I would like to figure it out eventually.
Any suggestions on routines at home or videos? I have the p90x collection and when I want to push myself I'll do 30 minutes of a tape and a cool down. I also have Jillian Michaels video (blanking on the name...but the 20 minute cardio and basic strength) but gods honest truth ... i hate her voice and feel like kicking the TV afterwards (maybe a good sign????). I also have and love carmen Electra's videos, but find them slow paced and slightly boring...unless i'm In the mood lol.
I love yoga and dance and really would like to get something that will get me to break a sweat.
Has anyone found anything fun and upbeat that seems to work for them?

Replies

• karlamw
    karlamw Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried the Walk Aways the pounds videos????? Leslie is awesome...She is encouraging and easy to follow :) AND the videos are 20 to 30 minutes so quick to do. They are GREAT workouts... I lost over 65 pounds doing them :)))))
  • Lissarobinson
    Options
    Hello,

I found it hard to do excersie as i work all the time, but what i started to do is put some music on and start dancing when your on your own and it really works up a sweat you can be as mad as you want to be to burn those carolies. x
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    As suggested.. dancing works wonders. Another thing I have done is just put it on mute and put my own music in the background. Its easy to do with the JM programs because they are pretty easy to memorize.

I am starting a P90x challenge for November 1 -- feel free to join!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Try the Slim N 6 series from Beach Body. I love at home workouts and it is my favorite.:flowerforyou:
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love the Turbo Fire program... I am dripping in sweat when I'm done, I have never worked up so much of a sweat from a home program before. Its a lot of like kick boxing... but Chaleane is so fun and upbeat, she MAKES you dance in it and have a good time. It's pricey, but I found it well worth the money!! I have seen AMAZING results that honestly I didn't think I'd ever see!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How about just putting on some music you love and dancing? You can go as hard as you want.

Balance ball workouts are really good, too. And I like Power Yoga by Rodney Yee for yoga DVDs.
  • mlh612
    mlh612 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian Michaels Mastering Your Metabolism.. It's 55 minutes long, but you can also pick and choose which circuits you want to do... It is a great workout and I love Jillian, but at the end of the DVD I am cussing her name :wink:
  • CaptainCranky
    CaptainCranky Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do about 10 minutes of sit ups, push-ups, toe touches and stretches when I get home. It just takes a few minutes to do and if I do it right when I get home I haven't started anything else yet. that is not the only exercise I do but it is the minimum for the day and I find that if I just get started with something then adding more is a lot easier.

I also have my son do them at the same time.

It’s not a lot but it is ten times better than nothing.
  • MrsMills712
    Options
    I love the Zumba workout DVDs, especially Cardio Party. It's a 50 minute workout but it feels like it goes by in no time, just because it's so fast paced and fun to do. And it's one where it gets to a point where you get really tired, and then the move switches to something different so you get a little beak. I figure i'll try and do this on my own for awhile so when I decide to attend a live Zumba class I won't look like such a dork ;)
  • killthesmiley
    killthesmiley Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian Michaels Mastering Your Metabolism.. It's 55 minutes long, but you can also pick and choose which circuits you want to do... It is a great workout and I love Jillian, but at the end of the DVD I am cussing her name :wink:

So its a good sign that I want to kick the TV afterwards lol!!! I may have a look into the video. Her work outs do do wonders
  • killthesmiley
    Options
    I love the Zumba workout DVDs, especially Cardio Party. It's a 50 minute workout but it feels like it goes by in no time, just because it's so fast paced and fun to do. And it's one where it gets to a point where you get really tired, and then the move switches to something different so you get a little beak. I figure i'll try and do this on my own for awhile so when I decide to attend a live Zumba class I won't look like such a dork ;)

I keep hearing major things about Zumba. I'm going to check it out I think. It sounds like fun!

As for putting on music and just dancing, I do that every so often, but I find I can't keep focus well. I'll dance to one song and remember..."OH YEA I forgot to do that..." then I don't get back to dancing.
  • killthesmiley
    Options
    secondary question...and maybe I should make another post about this...but I see sooooo many people doing p90x on here.

HOW DO YOU GUYS SURVIVE ONE TAPE??? lmao

Side story : I remember one night, a couple months ago, after going out with work for some delicious greek food, I decided to do some p90x cardio. Well I completed the whole tape....drank a delicious bottle of water...then spent the next 8 hours hugging the toilet.
  • Fergie2154
    Options
    Cable TV - Exercise On Demand has some good programs. Check out some of Jillian Michaels.
  • GinaKiss89
    Options
    Do you have a Wii game console? My daughter and I play with the Wii FIT and have a ball! There is yoga, balance, and cardio all in the setup of the games. Completing certain actions opens more options such as additional yoga moves, a different balance game, etc. Each "game" is 1-3 minutes to begin with, then moves up. I can work up a good sweat and have a blast at the same time.
  • tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Turbo Fire has great motivating music that will keep you moving. I have Jillian's tapes too. 30 day Shred and Boost Metabolism and I gave them to a friend to use because I can't stand the sound of her voice. Something about her is not motivating at all. I know its crazy but I have a crazy schedule too and I work out at 4am to avoid anything getting in the way of my work out. I'm currently in Phase 3 of P90X and loving it. The work outs will give you more energy to deal with the rest of the day.
  • tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    In regards to surviving one tape of P90x....What does Tony say: Do your best and forget the rest! And he means it. Most people dont start out being able to do everything. As I mentioned, I'm in the last phase. I can not do 1 pull up, I can only do a little of Ab Ripper X. There are a few other moves that I just can not do but I try them every week. There is also 10 minute trainer and Power 90 which are less intense but if I can do P90X anyone can.
  • killthesmiley
    Options
    Do you have a Wii game console? My daughter and I play with the Wii FIT and have a ball! There is yoga, balance, and cardio all in the setup of the games. Completing certain actions opens more options such as additional yoga moves, a different balance game, etc. Each "game" is 1-3 minutes to begin with, then moves up. I can work up a good sweat and have a blast at the same time.

I don't have a Wii ... (thats a long story lmao!)

But I will eventually get another one, and I definitely plan on getting the Wii Fit
  • killthesmiley
    Options
    In regards to surviving one tape of P90x....What does Tony say: Do your best and forget the rest! And he means it. Most people dont start out being able to do everything. As I mentioned, I'm in the last phase. I can not do 1 pull up, I can only do a little of Ab Ripper X. There are a few other moves that I just can not do but I try them every week. There is also 10 minute trainer and Power 90 which are less intense but if I can do P90X anyone can.

Yea, I think I try to push myself too hard.

Did you guys know p90x is actually part 2 ( i think ) in a much bigger series.
    Has anyone tried the Insanity part before???? I might be absolutely insane but I kinda want to try it...just for kicks.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    As for putting on music and just dancing, I do that every so often, but I find I can't keep focus well. I'll dance to one song and remember..."OH YEA I forgot to do that..." then I don't get back to dancing.

That's a shame. I love to do that. I just get in a zone, song after song. :-)
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I have two kids, in a temp single status, work out side the home as well as online lol...I love the on demand videos on cable, they can range from 5 minutes to 30 and they even have some geared towards kids so my youngest will do "baby goga" as she puts it with mommy :P
    I want to get the p90x after christmas but I'm worried about finding the time to do it.