Curious: hot lemon water.

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I tried doing that for a week (instead of the usual morning coffee) and everyday, I end up with a tummy ache

I'd call that a sign.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I like coffee. It's hot, it helps me wake up and get going, and I truly couldn't care less if it helps my fitness goals besides assisting my efforts in that whole getting out of bed thing.

Oh, and if drinking something causes you pain, then stop drinking it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've seen countless articles that highlight the benefits of starting your day with a cup of hot water with a squeeze of lemon. It aids digestion with all the citric acid, cleanses your system & all the other good stuff I'm sure you guys have read about somewhere.

I tried doing that for a week (instead of the usual morning coffee) and everyday, I end up with a tummy ache - the kind of pain where it's impossible to stand up & the only comfortable position is curling up in a ball (of pain) :noway:

Do you guys start your day with hot water + lemon? :drinker:

B

I prefer to start my day with a nice cup of warm hot dog water. So cleansing!

What is dog water? The water left over after your bathe your dog?

I think the poster meant "hot dog" water...like water related to hot dogs, maybe the water they were boiled in or the juice from inside the package...

That said, OP, how often do you use/eat citrus? Some people have stomach issues with citrus fruits in general...
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My nephrologist and urologist both recommend at least 8 oz of lemonade or "lemon water" (anything containing as much lemon juice as you can stand without too much sugar) on a daily basis for kidney stones and for cleansing the kidney (which is key in cleansing, along with the liver, lymph system). So it DOES have legitimate benefits, but could have drawbacks too. If you are drinking this on an empty stomach, could you be pouring acid into ulcers? Possibly. I would get that checked for sure. You don't want ANYTHING to go too long, take it from a middle aged chick with some issues. Things can go very wrong very quickly. Any unexplained pain that is persistent or recurrent needs to be checked out.

And yep, lemon juice is good for your system. Especially your kidneys.
  • gcarrion13
    Options
    I had a friend who would do the tepid lemon water. she said it would "cleanse her body". But she would drink it after her breakfast. Not sure about the effects but she swore by it.
  • njbh86
    njbh86 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I've seen countless articles that highlight the benefits of starting your day with a cup of hot water with a squeeze of lemon. It aids digestion with all the citric acid, cleanses your system & all the other good stuff I'm sure you guys have read about somewhere.

I tried doing that for a week (instead of the usual morning coffee) and everyday, I end up with a tummy ache - the kind of pain where it's impossible to stand up & the only comfortable position is curling up in a ball (of pain) :noway:

B

I think the poster meant "hot dog" water...like water related to hot dogs, maybe the water they were boiled in or the juice from inside the package...

I'm sure the poster is having a huge laugh at this. I'm pretty sure he was euphemising that he takes a pee every morning (hot-dog water being a euphemism for pee). Pretty sneaky, euphemistic poster.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I drink tepid lemon water every morning, it's nice and it keeps my skin clear. I always feel better when I do, it certainly never has any adverse effects. I'd say it has as much to do with hydrating your system immediately at the start of your day than it has to do with the lemon, but as I say, I add it mainly for my skin.

The tummy ache is a baffling one, I can't see how the lemon could be causing it, especially hours later when it would be out of your system.

How much lemon are you putting in? I put half a lemon in a pint of water
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I drink tepid lemon water every morning, it's nice and it keeps my skin clear.

Wut
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Acid reflux?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

B

I'm sure the poster is having a huge laugh at this. I'm pretty sure he was euphemising that he takes a pee every morning (hot-dog water being a euphemism for pee). Pretty sneaky, euphemistic poster.

SHUT UP!! Haha, I have never heard of this! Awesome. Funny either way really, but definitely didn't see it as water after a dog's bath.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Drink the lemon water if you like the lemon water, but do not rely on it for weight loss or cleansing your system. Our bodies are pretty efficient machines, which is why we poop and pee. Yeah! Cleansed! On another note, why on earth would you continue drinking something that is causing so much pain? :huh:

Because it's magic. Duh!
  • fuzzieme
    Options

Wut

Well, as a teenager, I had a few spots, dabbing warm lemon juice onto a spot clears them. My doctor advised drinking more water, which is obvious, and the addition of lemon juice in the water itself would further aid it. The spots I had disappeared and my skin is like a baby's bum now, 15 years later. Not a blemish or a wrinkle to be seen :wink: And I don't do any other form of skin care, except washing, ha
  • Alluminati
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Alluminati
    Options

Wut

Well, as a teenager, I had a few spots, dabbing warm lemon juice onto a spot clears them. My doctor advised drinking more water, which is obvious, and the addition of lemon juice in the water itself would further aid it. The spots I had disappeared and my skin is like a baby's bum now, 15 years later. Not a blemish or a wrinkle to be seen :wink: And I don't do any other form of skin care, except washing, ha

It was most likely just the fact that you drank more water, not water + lemon. Lemon juice itself used topically does have mild astringent qualities. Nothing to write home to ma about.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My mother used to do this weird diet where you start your day off with a cup of warm/hot water with 1 (or 2?) Tbsp of concentrated lemon juice. It also included horrid things like Wasa crackers (might as well gnaw on cardboard) and all these supplments/vitamins. No thanks, I'd rather eat real food!

Anyway, the only claim I ever heard about this concoction was that it works as a diuretic - and less water retention means a lower weight on the scale.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

B

SHUT UP!! Haha, I have never heard of this! Awesome. Funny either way really, but definitely didn't see it as water after a dog's bath.

Welll, I'm a huge animal lover, I don't eat meat so that's the first thing that came to mind. I forgot hotdogs even existed lol!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The stomach pain you describe sounds ulcer-ish in nature, and an ulcer would be aggrivated by drinking somethingacidic.
  • fuzzieme
    Options

Wut

It was most likely just the fact that you drank more water, not water + lemon. Lemon juice itself used topically does have mild astringent qualities. Nothing to write home to ma about.

Duh, I basically said that, but it doesn't hurt, and I feel better when I have it. For whatever reason
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Tried it, hated it, dumped it like it was a boyfriend with cystic acne and ginger hair.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Op, I have heard of benefits of lemon water in the morning for purposes of alkaline and ph level of the body, especially if ones next drink is a caffeinated beverage. I'm personally a little lazy with lemon water in the morning, but I do indulge in a lemon presse many times as a treat in the afternoon.

I will say that I think rehydrating after a night's sleep in the morning is very important, and too few people do it. I also used to start straight with a big cup of coffee. But I have now gotten in the very good habit of always starting my day with 2 big glasses of water before I turn to the coffee.

For rehydration, I strongly recommend at least water (with or without lemon) first thing in the morning. If you are interested in learning more about alkaline levels in the body, do some research on it. You can buy alkaline water or some people use lemon or apple cider vinegar.