Getting chased by a dog during my run...

Replies

• ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    I've been chased/attacked by the same little anklehumper dog on my running route because this guy can't figure out how to use a leash... sad thing is the dog is the one that's going to suffer...

I mostly go "alpha male" on him and he backs off and I yell REALLY LOUD so the whole block hears it and starts looking (figured I could embarress the guy to contain his animal) which hasn't worked.. I've actually connected with my shoe on this poor dog's head as he tried to snap my ankle.

My advice get a small can of pepper spray or something if you don't feel safe. Most of the time ( I hope) the owners don't realize it, and unfortunatly, some just feel entitled to let them run around (gasp...not MY dog) and you can't talk to those people at all..

nothing pisses me off more than piss poor pet owners.. the animals are the ones that will suffer in the end...

either way, take care so you don't get hurt.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    To take a different perspective....

If the dog left its owner's property and came out on the road, I would have waited for him, grabbed his collar and marched right back to the owners with him. I would then knock on their door and tell them to keep their dog contained because it is dangerous for people AND for the dog. It pisses me right off that people let their dogs wander loose, even on farms. If people want to have a dog, the responsible thing to do is fence in the backyard or get invisible electric fencing. In a lot of towns/cities, there are bylaws against loose dogs. It was legal in my town until too many dogs were hit by cars. Now they've changed it. I would even report the owners to the humane society/city official - whoever deals with it in your area.

Now, this is assuming you aren't scared of dogs. For some reason, I'm like the female Canadian Cesar Milan and I somehow get along with the nuttiest dogs - I think the key is to be cool and confident around them.

If you're afraid of dogs and don't want to make contact with it, best thing to do is completely ignore him. If he does catch up to you and won't leave you alone, here are some tips to avoid getting attacked:

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/avoid_dog_bites.html
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    I carry pepper spray and a steel bat when I run because I live in Detroit. Sometimes I take my neighbor's Rottweiler. But one time I was alone, and a big dog came running towards me out of nowhere. I could tell he belonged to someone and was well cared for, and I kept thinking, "dear God please do not let me have to hurt a dog!" He just ended up licking me, rolling over to have his belly scratched and following me for a bit before running off again. It was scary at first though. I didn't see any tags, but I made a post about it on our neighborhood newsgroup in hopes that the owner would find him.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    I carry pepper spray and a steel bat when I run because I live in Detroit. Sometimes I take my neighbor's Rottweiler. But one time I was alone, and a big dog came running towards me out of nowhere. I could tell he belonged to someone and was well cared for, and I kept thinking, "dear God please do not let me have to hurt a dog!" He just ended up licking me, rolling over to have his belly scratched and following me for a bit before running off again. It was scary at first though. I didn't see any tags, but I made a post about it on our neighborhood newsgroup in hopes that the owner would find him.

:flowerforyou:
  • Interesting timing. I do a very similar route every day around my office, which includes several .5 mile laps around a closed street loop. All summer, there have been a pair of border terriers that are usually in their yard when I'm out, and definitely that don't like my presence as I go by their kingdom. They don't appear to be leashed, and if they've got an invisible fence, it doesn't work on the larger of the two, who has come out several times and given me some love kisses on my ankles & shoes. I don't panic or anything, he's far from intimidating, and just keep on my way.

Just today, a woman came out, stopped me in mid stride, and said she doesn't like me running down her street because it upsets her dogs. I smiled and indicated that I don't appreciate getting chased and bit by her unleashed dog on a public sidewalk. Every ounce of blood drained from her face, she turned around and ran in the house.

I like dogs, and these two are quite cute - I wouldn't ever think of reporting anything, the "nips" were nothing. I wasn't threatening her with the intent of following up on anything, it was more of wanting to shut her up for scolding me for daring to use a public road/sidewalk. Though I hope that maybe it at least gave her some thought to maybe having them leashed in case a little kid happens across the fellow with a napoleon complex :)
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member

Just today, a woman came out, stopped me in mid stride, and said she doesn't like me running down her street because it upsets her dogs. I smiled and indicated that I don't appreciate getting chased and bit by her unleashed dog on a public sidewalk. Every ounce of blood drained from her face, she turned around and ran in the house.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I would have just laughed in her face. What a crackhead!
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Yes use to happen to me. That's why I joined the gym. Literally and figuratively. Sorry guys buys we sometimes refer to you this waylol. A guy stopped me and my daughter and my husband had to come get us last time. Our neighbors dog is mean and always out.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    I'm also terrified of dogs, as I was bitten by a german shepherd when I was in elementary school. Yep...around 40 years ago. I still have an ugly 1.5 inch scar on my leg. I have tried to get into running and even completed my first 5k about a month ago. I've also gotten into road biking.
    I want to do another 5k so bad, but my time was so slow for the one that I did complete because I barely went out to train. I was and still am absolutely terrified to walk or run through neighborhoods, because I'm almost certain that I will be attacked by a dog. It sucks because I live in a pretty decent suburb, and don't have a bunch of strays running around...at all. But I still get so afraid. It's so bad that I can barely walk a block before I start looking around for a dog. I hate walking my dog and make my fiance go with me, or we just don't go at all.

In saying all of that, I've been told many, many times that if you are ever chased by a dog, to stop, stand still and use a commanding voice to tell it to stop, go away...etc. Just like a few other people have pointed out.

My hat's off to you because you seem to be able to get out there and keep going despite what happened. I hate the fact that I can't do that.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    A friend of my dad's was attacked by two pit bulls when he was out jogging. He was a veterinarian, even. They bit him pretty badly before help arrived; he said all he was concentrating on was staying on his feet because he knew if they got him on the ground he was a goner.

I carry a stun gun instead of pepper spray. Just the crackle when you engage it scatters every dog I've ever come across. It also works well with angry dog owners.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    I was bitten badly on the face, arms & legs (50+ stitches) by an extremely aggressive pit bull on my way home. I blame the owner (who was my neighbor in the apt complex), but I now carry pepper spray & a stun gun. Most are friendly, but there's no fighting off a large dog, at least not from my experience. And I carry that in case of creepers too. Its better to be safe than sorry.

Additionally, let your neighbor know in a polite way. Good luck!
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    I'm also terrified of dogs, as I was bitten by a german shepherd when I was in elementary school. Yep...around 40 years ago. I still have an ugly 1.5 inch scar on my leg. I have tried to get into running and even completed my first 5k about a month ago. I've also gotten into road biking.
    I want to do another 5k so bad, but my time was so slow for the one that I did complete because I barely went out to train. I was and still am absolutely terrified to walk or run through neighborhoods, because I'm almost certain that I will be attacked by a dog. It sucks because I live in a pretty decent suburb, and don't have a bunch of strays running around...at all. But I still get so afraid. It's so bad that I can barely walk a block before I start looking around for a dog. I hate walking my dog and make my fiance go with me, or we just don't go at all.

In saying all of that, I've been told many, many times that if you are ever chased by a dog, to stop, stand still and use a commanding voice to tell it to stop, go away...etc. Just like a few other people have pointed out.

My hat's off to you because you seem to be able to get out there and keep going despite what happened. I hate the fact that I can't do that.

I'm in the same situation. I suggest carrying pepper spray or a stun gun. Pepper spray is cheap & a stun gun is around $50 but more effective. I went to therapy & I'm still afraid of all animals (I can never own one) but I now can walk outside alone, pet some domesticated animals, etc. also, if you have a friend of family member who would run with you, running in pairs is always good. Good luck!
  • Dragana_S
    Dragana_S Posts: 28 Member
    It happen to me 2 years ago. I was chased by 2 dogs, I escaped to someone's backyard and climbed on their pergola. I did not dare to run since. I honestly thought I will not get home alive from my last run. I am trying to get over it and just start running again. There are so many people driving to my street just to run...I live in tropical quiet street, palms on each side of the road, country setting with mini farms (2 hectares = 6 acres) all green and beautiful and every mini farm has nasty guard dogs.
  • dubble13
    dubble13 Posts: 85 Member
    I don't remember where I heard the advice that I am about to pass along. But I have tried it, and it worked. If the dog is coming at you, stand still. Do not raise your arms (as they see this as a threat). Be strong and confident and say the word NO very firmly. Don't let your voice be high-pitched. Speak it loud and firmly. Most dogs will respond to this. Once the dog has stopped the persuit, slowly raise your hand, point to home, and tell it to go. As long as the dog is not barking at you or still chasing, you can continue on your run knowing you OWNED IT.

I also reccomend carrying pepper spray (just in case).

This is exactly what I did when it happened to me when I was walking my dog. Stood my ground, said no, and then told it to go home. And it did! :)
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    I've been chased by three dogs over the years. Once he lost me, twice I ended up in a tree. Let's just say I've never run faster!
  • justwanderful
    justwanderful Posts: 142 Member
    When I ran, while living in a semi-rural area, I carried bear spray. It would shoot a stream of mace up to 30 feet. Never had to use it.
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    I encounter dogs a lot. The minute you stop running, they stop chasing. I just say in a even tone "Go home" and try not to sound frightened.

I have never been bitten doing this.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Today I left for my run in the same direction I do every day, then about 1/4th into it I hear loud barking over the music in my headphones and a big dog running towards me from his house. This is the first time I ever noticed this dog and honestly it scared me a lot! I usually just run to my halfway point and then turn around and run back, but I was so scared I circled around into a neighborhood I've never seen before and took the twice as long path around... which is okay but my question is.... has any road runners ever had this happen to them? If so... what would you recommend I do...? This is the first time it's ever happened to me while running before so I'm not sure if the dog wasn't meant to be outside or what... thoughts?

First let me say that I am glad you are okay and it must have been scary. I had this happen to me only a few times and it scared the hell out of me but I know that when a dog tries to come running at you barking that you shouldn't run with your back towards it. It worked for me to just stop and use a authoritive voice and tell the dog. Stop it, go home right now. I think it was a little dumb luck and the fact that the dog was like wtf.. but both times the dog went away or at least stopped following me once it seen I was not messing with him or taking his ****. I promised myself a long time ago I wont be a victim so I try to do what I can to difuse situations.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    A lot of people who do walking for exercise or walk their dogs, will carry a stick or a cane with them in case of strays.

I guess it'd be a good idea not to run if you're being chased by a dog if that triggers their instinct. Lewandt suggested slowing down, staying calm, and being firm, that'd probably be a really good approach.

Whether walking or running though, you can be bit. One time walking home from school, my friend and I saw a stray across the street. We kept walking, no big deal, the dog crossed the street, came up behind me, bit my leg pretty badly and ran away behind me barking at me. I didn't do a darn thing to the dog. I didn't even look at it funny. It tore right through my jeans. I had to limp the rest of the way home. Then my step mom took me to the doctor's when she got home from work.

If you are bit by a dog while out walking or running, make sure you go to the doctor to have the dog bite checked out. It's not just a 'wash it out and put a bandage on it thing.' A dog bite can be serious either through getting infected or needing stitches. A dog that randomly bites you or aggressively approaches you and bites might have rabies. Luckily, the dog that bit me was probably just crazy or panicked from running across the street and dodging traffic. I did not get rabies.

Please be careful, and I think a stick would be better than pepper spray imo. A large stick or cane can fend off a dog's teeth immediately. Pepper spray is fussing with a little container and hoping you're pointing it the right way.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    I carry pepper spray for this reason.

Yup ... But not when I run, only when I take my dog for a walk ... We've been attacked on two separate occasions, by two different dogs ... In the neighborhood ... First time, the dog had escaped from it's backyard (This was shortly after Hurricane Sady, and there were a lot of branches around, picked one up and beat the other dog off mine ... it's owner came out and yelled at me, I explained to her that her dog was attempting to bite us ... she came back at me with :Oh, my dog is an angel, she NEVER bites ..." ... And I said :Well, if that was the case, A.) Why dose my dog's nose have a gash on it .. and B.) Otherwise, I wouldn't have wasted my time picking up a stick to beat your dog with ... " She got huffy and drug her dog back across the street and in the house ...) , second time, the girl lost control of the leash (I have a pitbull, she had a pitbull ... Prying her dogs jaws off of my dog's face, not an experience I'd like to relive ...) Pepper spray is always in my hand, at the ready, especially when I see another dog ...
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    I have been chased on a run but thankfully not nipped at/or bit. It has scared me. I have a fear of meeting up with a dog that does more than that. A few years ago, there was a cat that waited beside the road and jumped out at me when I ran by. He was friendly though. He just wanted my attention:)

My Father in Law was chased on a bike and had his pants legs nipped at which caused an accident where he broke his elbow and had to have surgery to remove bone fragments. He was chased a 2nd time by a different dog and got road rash so bad on his forearm that he went to the hospital and they put him under so they could remove the gravel from his arm.

I'm the biggest dog lover but I really feel as a rule, dogs should not run free or be unsupervised EVER! For their safety and mine.