I just want to run...

12346»

Replies

• omsmom12
    omsmom12 Posts: 31 Member
    I'm currently starting Week 8 of C25k but I had real trouble "running" the full ONE MINUTE segments the first week. Seriously. Although I'm certainly no expert on running, I've been able to do this program successfully *this time* because of the following:

1. Don't try to run hard during the "running" segments. In fact, I tell myself, "slower, slower" and focus on keeping my stamina and just finishing the timed segment without walking, no matter how slow I "run." This has served me well. So far I have not had to walk any portion of the "running" segments of the program and now I'm up to 30 minutes without walking. I can hardly believe it. I really could barely run for one minute that first week.

2. Try to take a lot of smaller steps rather than taking long strides. I was told, to go faster, to focus on picking up my heels and increasing my total number of steps and not to "reach" with my legs as I had been doing.

3. Go get good shoes. I told myself I couldn't buy new shoes until I was "committed" (meaning I had to finish all 8 weeks of C25k). In the middle of Week 5, I found my shin hurting badly. I went to be fitted and when they observed me, my arches were collapsing during my strike. I had been running in running shoes but not the right kind for me. I got special shoes and voila, no more shin pain on Day 1 of the new shoes. $100 is a lot of money but it sure beats shin splints.

Go to a small running shop and not a Big 5 or a big store like that. Here's a link from Runner's World where you can find a running shoe shop:

http://www.runnersworld.com/store-finder

Good luck! If this sloth can do it, anyone can do it :)

(EDITED for typos)
  • gk03ub
    gk03ub Posts: 99 Member
    Hi!

I used to have similar issues when I first started trying to run. My right knee would always feel uncomfortable and my left ankle would hurt a lot after trying to run. I also used to get extreme cramping. I used to let all these things get to me and therefore I just told myself and others around me, "I am just not a runner" or "I am not meant to run", and so on despite the fact that I wanted to be able to run so badly.

So, I got my leg and ankle checked out by an osteopath and found out that my posture was causing these problems in my leg and that running would only cause damage.

I refused to believe that at 22 years old I was not going to be able to run. So, I decided "screw that, I can do this".

I started slowly, I got on the treadmill (I recommend starting on a treadmill because there is less risk of injury) and started slowly. I knew about the Couch To 5K but I decided that I wouldn't beat myself up about it if I couldn't keep up with the plan so every time I got on the treadmill I told myself that I would run for as long as I could at a speed I felt comfortable with and that was that.

Sometimes I would even go as slow as jogging at 3.7 MPH for one minute, rest by walking for 4 minutes, and try again. I did this over and over again until I could run the same speed for a minute and a half, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, and so on. I know this sounds like Couch to 5K but the key here is to set goals that are achievable for YOU in the present moment and to not focus on things like "in one month I should be able to run 5K". Instead, focus on "right now, I can run for 1 minute. Let's see if I can go for 2 minutes". Take it week by week and try for an extra minute each week and also reduce your walking rest time by one minute every week --and if you need to start by running one minute then walking for 10, then so be it! You're doing this for you and nobody else so you don't have to answer to anyone except yourself.

Be proud of any accomplishment you make. Trust me, when I first started I was not even able to run a single minute without feeling like i was going to throw up. That was in March. Now, I run 25-30KM per week (5km sessions) and I feel so accomplished. I don't focus on "well, there are so many people who are still better than me". Instead I focus on, "holy *kitten*, just a few months ago I would have never believed that it was possible".

Pain will happen, it still happens every now and then when I push too hard but just remember that its normal to experience pain art first because your body isn't used to being pushed. If you're still concerned, see a doctor. But just remember that you are capable of so much more than you think.
  • here's an article that helps me tons. Usually pain in the knee has nothing to do with the knee at all. It has to do with the way you place your foot and the support and the strength in your thighs. Do the exercises plus other strength training. Always stretch, yoga is actually a runners best friend. There will be days it still hurts but it shouldn't be as bad.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/183.shtml#quads -this is the article for the exercises for shin splints, thighs etc.
    Having knee pain and was looking for something like this article just yesterday! Thanks a million :)

To the OP, I had tried running several times but I joined a group training program for a 5k and it was wonderful. See if you can find something like that.
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    I started by tip toe jogging. It was slow but I was able to finish now I jog 2.7 - 3.1 miles without stopping depending on the area and weather.:flowerforyou:
  • lilolemeakared
    lilolemeakared Posts: 10 Member
    I have sort of the same problems. I couldn't run past 5 minutes because my legs would kill me. The pain seemed to radiate from my arch and travel up the leg. I bought some Nike running shoes which are super light on my feet. I am sure they are not the best and I really do need to go to a running store to get properly fitted. However, I am working two jobs and trying to stay active so personal time turns more into sleep and recovery time.

The one thing I did notice when I was participating in a 5k a few weeks back, was that a lot of runners had on compression apparratus. So I did some research and it looked like it might help. So I purchased some and paid $50.00. (ouch) However, now that I have them I love them. Where my run was between 3-5 minutes before with pain, I worked up to 8 minutes, then 12 minutes, and now I can run up to 15 minutes with very little pain. I can tell when my diet has not been spot on because my energy fades fast. I have some other issues to work on such as my breathing patterns and foot stride. (Sometimes my foot turns inward and causes me to loose balance.

I am excited because I have another 5k coming up in little over a week and if it keep up that every other day I add a few more minutes, I will cut my 5k time in half. Good luck!!
  • dreamcatchercc
    dreamcatchercc Posts: 1 Member
    I used to run and got lazy. The shoes will help BUT you have to run properly, posture plays a great role in how you feel physically. I used to get migraines a lot and it ws due to poor posture, my suggestion would be to find a place that can help with that. Where I live has a store that sells running gear (The Running Room) but they also will help you align your body properly to run without hinderance and pain. I hope this makes sense and is helpful.
  • timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    "Runners knee after 2 runs? [/quote]"

"Internet doctors can diagnose anyone instantly with just one symptom."

"The diagnosis said internet doctors give is invariably something they themselves have been diagnosed with."
    [/quote]

It's an actual diagnosis not just an internet doctor trust me I have runners knee and the article is accurate because I have heard the exact same thing from actual doctors...Yes it possible to have runners knee regardless of how much you had or have been running. The article was just a reference to explain the runners knee in detail. So next time before getting smart with my replies do some research and know who your talking to!
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    how funny.... I own 6 different brands of running shoes... expensive pairs, and everything still hurts.
    I now run half marathons and am planning to do a full marathon, but even a 5k sometimes sends my shins into hideous spasms to the point where I can barely walk.
    I can only suggest lots of stretching, knee and shin strengthening exercises, definitely focusing on lifting heavy weights has helped me with my knees.
    Look into the shin strengthening exercises!
  • kittycatmeowmeow
    kittycatmeowmeow Posts: 90 Member
    Hi!

Just sharing my experience - when I first started exercising again I was also suffering from shin splints and ankle pain, I started walking about 3km a day a few times a week and would end up with throbbing, horribly painful shins but then started ensuring I stretch my calves really well after I have warmed up and that seemed to help. Now, about 6 months on I can walk 5km very briskly and I have started jogging and I have no pain! I'm not sure if I built my muscles up or the nearly 10 kilos I have lost has helped.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    For me its my stomach, while running that hurts the most. Then my legs the following day. I want to become a runner, currently I can only run .25 miles without stopping. Yesterday I ran laps at my local HS track (1 lap = .25 miles), I did 6 laps running, then walking, and back to running. By the end of my 6th lap my stomach was in so much pain, I was in tears! :cry:
    I'm hoping someone replies about this as I have no idea why your stomach would hurt. Please answer if you know.

Mainly because you have a weak core and running is like doing hundreds of sit-ups at a time. If you want to improve your core, do planks or other isometric contraction hold positions. This pain will go away as your core improves in strength.

Like with anything, to do something new is at first clunky and awkward, once you get used to it you become more autonomous.

That does make sense, now that I think about it. I do have a weak upper body, so I'm sure my core is weak as well. Thanks for the tips. :flowerforyou:
  • PunkyRachel
    For me its my stomach, while running that hurts the most. Then my legs the following day. I want to become a runner, currently I can only run .25 miles without stopping. Yesterday I ran laps at my local HS track (1 lap = .25 miles), I did 6 laps running, then walking, and back to running. By the end of my 6th lap my stomach was in so much pain, I was in tears! :cry:

Usually when I get cramps or stomach pains, I didn't hydrate enough in advance (or during if a long run).

I always carry a water bottle with me.
  • julien999
    julien999 Posts: 41 Member

Don't run in pain is my first suggestion! walk if you have to until you can do it without pain.

I get lower abdominal pains as well usually right below my belly button and across to the hips. My suggestion is to alternate doing a lot of lower ab exercises to strengthen those muscles. Crunches, leg raises laying on your back, and on your sides. Also remember to work on your lower back muscles too.
    Good running form requires these muscles to be in good shape when running every once in a while try going for a few minutes while placing your hands palm flat, on your back just above your bum. Run a few minutes like this and pay attention to your posture, this position forces you into good posture so when you start feeling tired switch to this position to correct any slouching.
  • PunkyRachel

Don't run in pain is my first suggestion! walk if you have to until you can do it without pain.

I get lower abdominal pains as well usually right below my belly button and across to the hips. My suggestion is to alternate doing a lot of lower ab exercises to strengthen those muscles. Crunches, leg raises laying on your back, and on your sides. Also remember to work on your lower back muscles too.
    Good running form requires these muscles to be in good shape when running every once in a while try going for a few minutes while placing your hands palm flat, on your back just above your bum. Run a few minutes like this and pay attention to your posture, this position forces you into good posture so when you start feeling tired switch to this position to correct any slouching.

I can walk for hours on end 4-6 miles no problem. I'm bored with walking...yawn, thats why I started running, but didn't realize how weak I was so I will look into strengthening exercises. Thanks so much for the tips :smile:
This discussion has been closed.