Interesting Thought for the Day

Options
In the book about overeating and compulsive eating I'm reading it talks about people who eat past what they originally had planned because they feel bad throwing the food away.

I'm not sure if this happens to anyone but I usually make a dinner of some meat, veggies, and a side for my boyfriend. This side is usually cheesy rice, mac n' cheese, corn bread, or mashed potatoes. I usally eat the meat, veggies, and maybe a little serving of the side and he'll eat his dinner as he pleases. Since he doesn't really eat left overs (I know he's crazy) there is usually a good sized serving of the side left over after dinner and I hate throwing it away! I feel the need to eat it A) because I like the food and I don't want to see it go to waste and B) I buy the food and hate seeing my money being thrown away.

Well the book talked about how the food is technically going to go to "waste" whether you eat it or not because if you throw it away it's in the trash and if you consume the food it will end up in the toilet. Moral of the story is to not treat your body like you treat your trash can. Take it or leave it but it stood out to me.

Replies

• jchadden42
    Options
    Grandmom said, "Jennie, it's just as wasteful to eat what your body does not need as it is to throw it away."

I have never felt guilty about throwing food away because eating beyond what my body requires is the same thing.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of left overs either. If I don't think my kids will eat it and can't think of a way to re-purpose the food I have resigned myself to throw it away. It's really hard for me sometimes, though.
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Grandmom said, "Jennie, it's just as wasteful to eat what your body does not need as it is to throw it away."

I have never felt guilty about throwing food away because eating beyond what my body requires is the same thing.

Ha your Grandmom was smarter than mine! Mine said "You better eat those butter laden mashed potaoes and that second helping while you're at it, because there are starving kids in Guatemala who would love to eat your plate."
  • hipsdontlie1
    hipsdontlie1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This is so friggin true! Great way of looking at it
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    i won't touch leftovers either. if i err and make too much, well, that's what dogs are for.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    makes sense
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options

Ha your Grandmom was smarter than mine! Mine said "You better eat those butter laden mashed potaoes and that second helping while you're at it, because there are starving kids in Guatemala who would love to eat your plate."
    The kids were starving in China when I grew up.
  • apollard727
    Options
    If I have left overs i tend to save them until the next day for dinner (depending on what it is i cook). That is if my boyfriend doesnt get to the left overs first and eat it all before i can pack it away.

I put what i want to eat on my plate and this usually satisfies me, but my boyfriend hates throwing food away (or keeping it for the next day) even if hes full he will go and help himself to another serving!
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am also a "finisher." Thanks for the new perspective.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I don't do this with most food. However when we order PIZZA and I have my 2 slices. And then not everyone eats what I thought they would and I'm the only one left in the house for a couple of days, Uhm ya. I hate seeing that pizza sitting in the fridge and not in my mouth!

Well said!
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options

ha ha maybe because I live in the southwest :)
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options

Africa for me
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options

Africa for me

I tell my kids Detroit!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options

It was the Ethiopians when I was a kid.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I am the same way... don't want to waste food because it tastes good and it costs money.... My mind set is officially changed.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the leftovers especially the carbs ! Since being on mfp I haven't but have a 4 legged friend for that but there is only so much she can eat !!
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. It's extremely difficult to cook for 2 people because everything has like a minimum of 4 servings to it! I hate throwing away food. I've never thought about it this way, though, so I love this post! Most of our dinners are like this too....meat, veggie, and rice or sweet potatoes. I usually eat half of a serving of whatever starch I make, especially if I need to finish up my calories for the day, so we end up throwing our sides away (including leftover veggies). I've gotten better about only cooking enough meat for the 2 of us (we eat a ton of chicken and buy it in bulk!). Sometimes I try to save the veggies to add them to salads for lunch, but 95% of the time we just throw away the leftovers.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    I love eating leftovers. Problem is I often don't have enough self-control to stop eating if the food tastes good. Solution - I only plate out what I'm going to eat (or slightly less) and immediately transfer everything else into tupperware containers. If want seconds I take more. Of course this works because I don't have kids/ an SO so I don't have to eat off anyone else's plate (which I don't like doing anyway).
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I only eat small portions but if I am in the leftovers zone I keep them til tomorrow. I never throw food away. Those sides can all be microwaved or baked back to life the following day.

If it happens a lot make less sides or no sides? Then there's no waste!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I will think about this the next time, but I know this is a tough thought to change.