Does anyone actually eat the 1200 calorie limit?

Options

Replies

• stephylove321
    stephylove321 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    O wow i thought I was eating pretty well ahhh im so lost now.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    so i should change my oatmeal to something else?
    If you like it, don't. :flowerforyou: It's an excellent breakfast choice, and includes a nice chunk of your daily fiber. Figure out your macros before you do anything drastic like cutting carbs.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Those who are not very well taught about weight loss do.
  • stephylove321
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys I guess I have to try to figure out a whole new eating plan.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    O wow i thought I was eating pretty well ahhh im so lost now.
    Read food labels. Look at the carbohydrate content, and subtract whatever portion of it is listed as dietary fiber. You'll be shocked at how much you're taking in.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Im eating 1500 and at the end of the day I feel horrible and angry and weak.
    Is it just part of it will it go away?
    I weigh 170 5'7 work out about 400 off a day.
    Should I wait it out or add an extra hundred or two?
    last night I felt starving so I downed three bowls of cereal and an egg burrito(which is a ridiculous amount of food for me usually after a bowl of oatmeal im stuffed, im surprised I kept it down) and I immediately felt better.
    hellllppp
    Sounds like a case of the hangries - hungry + angry = hangry. :tongue:

Been there, done that - it sucks, and it didn't go away for me. 1200 is too low for most people. My BMR is around 1400, so I do my best to net at least a couple hundred cals above that daily. My daily goal is 1900, and I usually come within 100 cals of that, either above or below. I'm 45 years old, 5'8", down to 135lbs or so, and have lost very well eating 1800-2000 cals a day over the past year, year and half or so. I exercise 5-6 days a week, usually for about an hour a day - three days with dumbbells at home plus a 20 kickboxing session and/or walking my dogs, and three days of running 3-5 miles or so.

My dairy is open, feel free to check it out. I'm not always super disciplined (especially over the summer), but still managed to get through holidays, vacations, birthdays, etc without gaining - just steady fat loss. :drinker:
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've been sticking to 1200 for a few days now. I burn off 100-300 through exercise, so really i'm eating 1300-1600 a day, which seems to be fine for me.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys I guess I have to try to figure out a whole new eating plan.
    If you are eating 1500 calories and burning off 400, you are not really getting 1500 calories, you are getting 1100. Does that makes sense?
    Stick to 1500 but eat back what you burn while exercising and you'll feel a lot better and continue losing weight. Don't make things over complicated, but knowing about net calories is really important. That's what you're actually getting.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Im eating 1500 and at the end of the day I feel horrible and angry and weak.
    I weigh 170 5'7 work out about 400 off a day.

So you're only netting at 1,100.
    I think you can certainly add 200 additional cals....probably more.
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Try a protein shake in the morning or some eggs. It really helps you balance out the whole day.
  • stephylove321
    Options
    Wow I can't believe how helpful you all are thank you so much!
  • stephylove321
    Options

Try a protein shake in the morning or some eggs. It really helps you balance out the whole day.
    Tomorrow ill swap oatmeal for eggs and a shake and see how I do :)
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it without a weekly binge on top of my one "cheat" day.

Eat more.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest with only 25lbs to lose to set your goal to lose no more than 1 lb/week, and net that amount. So if your MFP goal is 1400 and you burn 400, then eat 1800.
  • monkeze
    Options
    cutting out fruit has helped me a lot - try switching your morning fruit for lots of veggies and adding veggies to the afternoon?
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Are you actually eating 1500 Calories? From the looks of your diary for the past week you have not eaten over 1000? If you diary is accurate no wonder you are hungry.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I used to net 1200 when my weight loss goal was set to 2 lbs per week. I couldn't keep with it so I set my goal to 1-1.5 a week and it sent my goal up to 1320. Doesn't sound like it should make much of a difference but it does. I can stick with it now and I consistently lose a pound a week.

I eat similar to you - carb and protein for breakfast (usually a piece of toast with PB and honey and yogurt with fruit) and it does satisfy me. I think it takes time. Just don't starve yourself. If you feel awful, eat. You'll still lose weight as long as you don't go way over your goal everyday. Soon your body will learn to be satisfied with less. I also eat quite often. I don't do "breakfast, lunch, dinner" but "9:30, 11:30, 1:30, 3:30, 5:30 and 7:30." I eat something every couple of hours (apple, nuts, chocolate milk) and although this doesn't "speed up my metabolism" (that's BS) it helps me to constantly be satisfied and makes it so easy not to binge.
  • stephylove321
    Options
    Busy with college haven't been logging, but I eat the same thing basically everyday (I premake it and measure it and store it in the fridge) im trying to be better with logging.
  • kimd2090
    kimd2090 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat a carb WITH a protein (especially for snacks) it keeps the hunger down. So I will eat fruit with yogurt, or a granola bar and a cheese stick. Supposedly (a trainer told me this) the combo effect makes your snacks last longer. Hope that helps!
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    morning oatmeal with pumpkin 350
    snack yogurt nuts and fruit350
    lunch chicken salad400
    im hungriest here
    dinner meat and sweet potato400

that's the usual

add more fat, its what works for me