Lying on MFP?

Options
scarlettpower
scarlettpower Posts: 10 Member
So I am honestly just being curious.
I have a MFP friend that has had amazing weight loss and seems really inspirational. But one day she posted that she gained 5lbs in one night and seemed frustrated. The VERY next day she post that she LOST 4.5lbs
Plus she updates her weight almost everyday, reporting 0.5lbs one day, then 4lbs the next day. It just seems so erratic?
I'm wondering if it possible she is lying or is she using some amazing diet tips that I don't know about?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    If they are lying, they are only hurting themselves. Why does it matter to you?
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Water weight and someone who updates every fluctuation or has a scale that is linked to MFP. Irritating maybe, but not necessarily dishonest.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    She's just obsessed with the scale.

Try it yourself: weigh before you wee, full bladdered and after a nice meal, then first thing in the morning after you wee. You too can bounce like Tigger :)

We all do. I still like to play the scale game sometimes... it can be fun!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    But, just so you know, your thread probably showed up on her feed depending on your/her settings.
  • jeffn9
    jeffn9 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had a flux of ~4 lbs in a 24 hour span just due to random differences. Might be the scale thing as I was weighing every day too at that time.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Oh dear lord, who cares? This does not affect you!!!!
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    You can gain and lose 5 lbs of water and then gain those 5 lbs of water back same day. That's pretty normal. Definitely not fat tho. And MFP does not informs everybody about their weight gain, you don't see in feed something like "scarlettpower has gained 2 lbs of weight" and then other people can comment below something like "stop eating hamburgers you hungry *****". That's why it can crate illusion that person is losing again and again when in fact they just lose water they gained day before.

That's the problem with tracking weight every day - it"s not accurate. You need to look at long term results. My guess would be that this is what really is going on here.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    A lot of people post their weight daily-whatever it happens to be. It's not lying, it's just doing things differently than you. I record my weight weekly whether it's up, down of the same. Some people only record losses, some people record just once a month. Whatever. It's people doing what works for them. Someone who happens to record heir weight daily isn't lying, they just record more of the natural fluctuations (and the newsfeed updates when they post a loss will frequently be for the "loss" of water-weight).
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    And you go to a public board to ask about a specific person instead of asking said person!?!? :huh: All we can do is speculate your "friend" is the only one who can actually answer your question.:ohwell:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    wow.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    What's going on with MFP today?
    Between FatFox calling out Mr.Sixpack for being sixpacky, and you calling out your friend's pathological lying water weight *kitten*.
    Where is the love?
    Let's hold hands and...queef.

I lied in the FatFox vs Mr Sixpack thread.... I'm not really gay.

polls_SmileyShocked_3104_602503_answer_1_xlarge.png
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    could be her scale too... I have a scale that I can step on in a 1 minute period of time 3 times and get 3 different weights... such as 1 time - 5 pounds heavier, 2nd time - 10 pounds lighter, 3rd time - 8 pounds heavier.... I could keep this up and get different weights everytime...all without toileting or exercising. I've have come to rely on how my clothes are fitting (getting into clothing smaller than I had been wearing, having to wear belts, etc...). I also rely on my actual body measurements...

So with this, I don't think it is necessarily cheating... your friend may just have an unpredictable scale such as mine!
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Who knows if your beard if even real. Or your baldness! What if you photoshopped your head hair off your scalp and onto your chin for sympathy baldness points?
    THIS MATTERS EXTREMELY MUCH AND I'M FURIOUS DUE TO YOUR DECEIT!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Well I would say ask her. But now she already knows what you think anyway so I would say goodbye to her. Can't imagine she wants to stay friends now.
  • Lemongrab1
    Lemongrab1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    What's going on with MFP today?
    Between FatFox calling out Mr.Sixpack for being sixpacky, and you calling out your friend's pathological lying water weight *kitten*.
    Where is the love?
    Let's hold hands and...queef.

I lied in the FatFox vs Mr Sixpack thread.... I'm not really gay.

polls_SmileyShocked_3104_602503_answer_1_xlarge.png
    A heterosexual sloth? That's not even a real thing!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    But, just so you know, your thread probably showed up on her feed depending on your/her settings.

busted-o.gif
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Who knows if your beard if even real. Or your baldness! What if you photoshopped your head hair off your scalp and onto your chin for sympathy baldness points?
    THIS MATTERS EXTREMELY MUCH AND I'M FURIOUS DUE TO YOUR DECEIT!

HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE MY BALDNESS REQUIRES SYMPATHY?!?!

And the beard was shaved off. So I AM being deceitful!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Why don't you ask...her?
  • GolfBird1
    Options
    In the past I have seen my weight fluctuate as much as 4lbs due to my monthly cycle. It could be the same for this person?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    MFP does not notify everyone when you post a gain, only when you post a loss. Some people like to log their weight every day for tracking purposes. If their weight fluctuates a lot then you'll see LOTS of losses from that person. They're likely not doing it to impress anyone, they simply prefer to log daily and track their water weight fluctuations.