New barbie doll design?! What do you think?

Options

Replies

• LJSmith1989
    Options
    You can make barbie bigger and make skinnier girls pissed. You can make her more muscular and make everyone pissed. You can make her stay skinny and bigger girls are pissed. Someone's always going to be made. For instance, I can't relate to new barbie. I'm tall and thin. It's my body type, I'm an ectomorph and I have a hard time gaining muscle or fat. You can't please everyone. Plus, if our country is one of the fattest countries in the world, why are we trying to promote being unhealthy? I swear, it's like it's between being a 90 lb. twig or being large and in charge or being "average". I don't know, it's just a doll. Can we not? It's so not important. How about you make the famous models and people on cosmo not all skinny, light haired, air-headed girls who all look practically the same in the face? Focus on real people who act as real role models. Not hunks of plastic. SHIIIIITTTT.

How is the smaller Barbie promoting people being unhealthy?? :noway:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    ITT: This is my lived experience and if yours doesn't match mine, yours is stupid and mine is right.
    WWAAAHHHHHH!
    Do you really think there's a 5-year-old girl in the world whose self-worth or self-esteem is dictated by a doll's appearance? Really? (Aside from the adults in her life making a big deal about it, of course.)
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    And is the average 19-year-old really 5'4" and 150 pounds? That seems on the large side of healthy for that age and height.

Yup. And so what if it's "on the high side of healthy?" Must everyone be right in the middle?" Or are you really saying that thinner is always better even if one is healthy?
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Barbie Got Back!

Sir Mix-A-Lot would bang. :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    And is the average 19-year-old really 5'4" and 150 pounds? That seems on the large side of healthy for that age and height.

Yup. And so what if it's "on the high side of healthy?" Must everyone be right in the middle?" Or are you really saying that thinner is always better even if one is healthy?
    I'm saying that at 19, most women are still growing and most, if they are at a healthy weight and size at 5'4", should not be 150 pounds. Even if the average 19-year-old has a large frame and a ton of muscle, that is a high weight for that age and height at that age.
  • spookiefox
    Options
    ITT: This is my lived experience and if yours doesn't match mine, yours is stupid and mine is right.
    WWAAAHHHHHH!
    Do you really think there's a 5-year-old girl in the world whose self-worth or self-esteem is dictated by a doll's appearance? Really? (Aside from the adults in her life making a big deal about it, of course.)

I think five-year-olds should be exposed to role models that have body types that are actually possible. Barbie's original body just isn't. And I'm not worried about her self-esteem at five, but when she is older and trying to look like the role models she's internalized. I am concerned by the number of tweens and teens who believe they need plastic surgery just to look acceptable, for instance.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I wanna see a Fat Amy doll.
  • ajroberts11
    ajroberts11 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i will be demanding that all vibrators and other sex toys be made much smaller and will be useless after 15 minutes in the name of all things have to be true to life

Hilarious!
    (But seriously, don't you dare mess with my grown-up toys! :wink: )
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Well, for the teen BMI, its the high side of healthy. But as soon as that 19 yr old turns 20 it's actually considered overweight. (BMI would be 25.7)
  • spookiefox
    Options

I'm saying that at 19, most women are still growing and most, if they are at a healthy weight and size at 5'4", should not be 150 pounds. Even if the average 19-year-old has a large frame and a ton of muscle, that is a high weight for that age and height at that age.

But that isn't what you said. You said it seemed like the "large" side of healthy. And it is. Why "should" a young woman not be this weight you just said was healthy? If she's a healthy weight, why would it matter that her weight is "high?"
  • spookiefox
    Options

Well, for the teen BMI, its the high side of healthy. But as soon as that 19 yr old turns 20 it's actually considered overweight. (BMI would be 25.7)

Again. SO WHAT?
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    WWAAAHHHHHH!

Yes - kids get these messages loud and clear....it's usually a mistake to underestimate the ability of kids to pick up messages us "responsible" adults are laying out for them.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Looks like she could birth an Eriksen baby.

I think I love you.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I note the thigh gap. I want a thigh gap but I also want a hinge in my pelvis. :sad:
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    LOVE the new barbie!!!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting on the redesign of Charlie Brown. Ever since I witnessed his impossibly large head as a child, I've had issues with how small mine is. Years of head stretching, sobbing sessions in front of the mirror, and trips to the therapist haven't helped.

Oh, and don't get me started on the damage caused by the Incredible Hulk.

I mean, even green food coloring doesn't achieve that perfect green glow.
  • MissyI30
    MissyI30 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how I feel... obviously the original Barbie is way too skinny, but the new Barbie seems oddly proportioned to me. I think it will just take some getting used to!

This I agree she doesn't seem proportioned. I think they could of gave her a little more height. lol
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    That's not a new Barbie... That was a doll made as an experiment by a university for a doll representation of the average American woman.

Don't post stuff on the internet without checking it first....
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I note the thigh gap. I want a thigh gap but I also want a hinge in my pelvis. :sad:

Also think I love you... Hm.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    hell yeah for new barbie