Safe to lose 8lbs a month while pregnant?

Options
My goal is about 160 by June, I jusy found out Im preg. I will need to lose about 8lbs/month to acheive my goal. Is it safe/ a tangeable goal? Opinions? I will def talk to the dr apt about it when I get an apt, also.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to you doctor, but I believe you do not want to be aiming to lose weight during pregnancy. Save the weight loss for after baby comes.

And congrats!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I do not think this is wise.

Talk to your doctor.

Focus on goals like getting enough protein and ridiculously awesome nutrition - so your child starts their life with the best chance possible. Worry about weight loss numbers after the baby comes. Work on balance, nutrition and stress coping skills for now.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Not really a question for the forums. More a question for your ob/gyn. Why not start by eating as healthy as you can, watching your macros to make sure you are eating well and take a walk every day?

That will help you more than losing weight. Plus, look at all the good habits you will have in place when your baby is born. :flowerforyou:
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    NO JUST NO... Go to your doctor and get a healthy eating plan for you to follow whist pregnant to make sure you are eating right for you and your GROWING baby.

Look at losing the weight once the baby is born.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Talk to doctor, not random message board on internet.

But if you must: NO. In all likelihood your doctor will advise you eat 200 calories above your maintenance number to sustain proper fetal development. To help yourself be further along when your pregnancy is over -- stay active and eat a healthy as possible throughout. Do not worry about the scale at all because you cannot control it anymore.
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Just eat healthy, do light exercise, but focus on being healthy NOT losing weight.

Congrats! :bigsmile:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    You do not want to aim to lose like that when you're pregnant. You don't. You just don't.

Let me tell you a little bit about when I was pregnant (and this happened both times, BTW). I was overweight when I got pregnant. I started eating better, to make sure that I got all the nutrients I needed for the baby. I gained only 24 lbs in the first pregnancy (exactly what the doctor said I should). I gained only 18 lbs the second time (3 lbs more than the doctor said I should). Within a month of giving birth, I was already back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and within 2 months of giving birth, I was 15 lbs lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight. I did nothing to try to lose the weight - all I did was try to make healthier food choices (which meant I was eating less chips and fries - my kryptonite).

TL;DR - eat well, your body will reward you post-baby.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy for the sake of the baby, but do not focus on weight loss at this time. If eating healthy for the baby results in weight loss, or cancels the weight gain from a growing baby, then so be it. But losing weight should not be the focus for you now.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you may be able to lose weight and then maintain your weight for some of your pregnancy, but the whole point is a baby is growing in side of you, so you should put on some weight.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I would expect your doc would advise limiting weight gain or maintaining while pregnant. If you are very overweight they may say its safe for you to lose small amounts which would probably happen naturally if you just eat enough to nourish yourself and your baby but not more than you both need. I can't imagine any doc suggesting you eat at a deficit at this time.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    As someone who is in the same boat, you probably wouldn't acheive it while pregnant especially in your third trimester.

That being said, talk to your dr. Since I'm already overweight, he doesn't have any issues with me eating at a bit of a deficit (mainly in my first two trimesters, less in my third) since I'm not supposed to gain much this pregnancy anyways.

Really, you just need to make sure that you're eating good foods and exercising and you should at the very least maintain, if not lose for the first while. I'm eating as much as I want in vegetables and chicken wraps (lol) and I'm always coming up under my daily cals, but I'm super full and I know I'm making sure baby and I are getting the nutrients we need.

If you focus your whole pregnancy on your size and weight, you're going to put yourself through a lot of extra stress and disappointment. Keep it healthy and in moderation and you'll do fine :)
  • mag131
    mag131 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound healthy at all. I would at least aim for maintaining for the sake of your baby's health.

Please do talk to your doctor and follow his/her advice. You wouldn't want to harm your baby for your own vanity.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    You do not want to aim to lose like that when you're pregnant. You don't. You just don't.

Let me tell you a little bit about when I was pregnant (and this happened both times, BTW). I was overweight when I got pregnant. I started eating better, to make sure that I got all the nutrients I needed for the baby. I gained only 24 lbs in the first pregnancy (exactly what the doctor said I should). I gained only 18 lbs the second time (3 lbs more than the doctor said I should). Within a month of giving birth, I was already back to my pre-pregnancy weight, and within 2 months of giving birth, I was 15 lbs lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight. I did nothing to try to lose the weight - all I did was try to make healthier food choices (which meant I was eating less chips and fries - my kryptonite).

TL;DR - eat well, your body will reward you post-baby.

^^ Excellent way to put it. And I love the personal experience.

Much more eloquently put than mine, haha. Congrats on your losses!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, asking for serious advice concerning your (and your baby's) body/health on a public forum from strangers when pregnant...

dJuxd09.gif
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Please don't even consider doing this. I can be safe to lose weight when pregnant, UNDER A DOCTOR'S CARE AND GUIDANCE and NOT at a rate of 8 lbs/month. Talk to your doc. They will let you know whether or not it's appropriate for you to continue with weight loss during this pregnancy.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You should always speak to your PCP and also your OB/GYN about such a decision before you follow thru with it. They will know best whether it's safe for you and your child for you to lose weight during your pregnancy.
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I agree with talking to your doctor, HOWEVER (and I'm NOT a doctor) you CAN lose/maintain weight while pregnant. I know as I did it with all three of my pregnancies.

It was not planned to lose weight, however my doctor supported it. I was not monitored any more closely than any other pregnant lady. With #1, my total weight "gain" was 3 pounds. That put my loss about 20 pounds considering baby weight, placenta, extra water weight, etc...#2 I "gained" negative 1 lbs. Again about a 20lb weight loss. And baby #3, I actually gained 11 pounds (7 in one month which was contributed to gestational diabetes). Once the diabetes was diagnosed, I was monitored 2x a week (ultra sound and external fetal monitor) an put on the ADA diet. In 3 weeks, I lost 9 lbs and was back on track. I ended up gaining a total of 7 pounds with him in total. Baby #3 was 5.5 weeks premature and spent time in a NICU. By the time he was 6 days old, I was in prematernity clothes and by the time he was 5 weeks old, I had dropped 2 prematernity pants sizes and had to go shopping for new clothes.

So, yes, weight loss during pregnancy can be done. But don't expect the scales to drop as they would in a traditional weight loss regime.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Which is why I was going to talk to my dr, not take every little peice of advice given on the internet! And yes I am over weight (217) I also, jog a mile or so a day or walk 2.5-4 miles. ( right now) So I think Im on the right track, I just wanted some opinions. See how others veiw the subject. I definitely wont do anything that will hurt my baby, and will increase calories as needed, probably reduce my exercise in the last trimester, or stick to things like walking- light and swimming- since it will be hot by then. Really appreciate all the opinions though :D * sry the first part was for ophidion*
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.

This is a question for your doctor.

I know two women who watched every damn pound they gained so as to keep their gain in single digits. They even exercised to ridiculous lengths to minimize the gains. Both ended up having their babies prematurely, and not by a week or two, more like ten. Both babies are relatively ok but did not escape completely unscathed.

Could that have happened anyway? Sure. But I would bet money that their obsession with not gaining and even losing had something to do with it.

Moral of the story: your body needs nutrients to nurture your growing baby. Eating at a deficit can mess with that. Even if someone here said their doctor told them it was ok, that does not mean it's ok for you. Everyone is different.

Talk to your doctor.