For me, *this* is why WEIGHTS over CARDIO is KEY!

Options
Beeps2011
Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
endofmonth21_zps20d45885.jpg

^^^ 21 months of heavy-lifting free weights - THAT is the picture on the right-hand-side.

On the left-hand side is me, after 25+ YEARS as a cardio-gym rat.

Yes, I still do SOME cardio, but my exercise-focus is on lifting heavy free weights.

And, yes, I'm "busy" like everybody else. I am 44 years old, a professional career-woman with more than 20 full-time years invested in my profession. I am a wife, mother of 3, volunteer, but I choose to take care of myself and as I come upon nearly 2-full-years focused on weight-lifting (instead of cardio), I'm very pleased with my progress.

Oh, and I'm 5'9" tall....for all you stats people!

Replies

• mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    That's why I'm joining you as from tomorrow...Ive heard enough of people telling me I will look like a man while I'm fat like an elephant.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Now that is a difference! Well done :flowerforyou:
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Amazing and inspirational! Thanks for posting!
  • myprana
    Options
    What an amazing change. The difference in those thighs alone should be enough to send most women to the weight room. Muscle does a body good!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :heart: Lifting posts :) Great job OP! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Amazing- what gets me the most is that the pounds lost is so minimal for the visual progress. It looks like you lost 30 lbs instead of 15. I so need to start lifting, but don't know where to start!!!!
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    You look amazing!! I'm deciding to focus on weights during this winter instead of running so much. Any tips you can give to what you did please share!!

I have free weights and a bench..as well as a punching bag and weight bar. :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    In the words of George Takei......OH MY!

My bod ATM is between your before and after. I mostly do weights, although not heavy because I only have a 25 lb dumbbell. But it's been paying off and I think my job is helping because sometimes I do have to carry a semi-heavy box over to a section to unload.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Wow. Wow. Wow.
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Amazing.

What are you lifting? PRs? Gah, ah.maz.ing.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I have ZERO PR's to brag about....I'm actually recovering from cataract surgery and have only been lifting for 4 sessions (i.e. one week) following a 6-week forced exercise break!
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Wow, your before looks kinda like me now. It's great to see how the lifting, over a substantial period of time, has changed your body. We're you eating at a deficit as well? And we're you following a program? Congrats, you look great! And I love that it's not been a quick fix - it has become your habit... :)
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Beeps rocks! Look at those abs and shoulders! She knows what she's talking about, ladies!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yay, Beeps! Looking lean and mean! :drinker:
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    arms look great! WTG! I've come to exact same conclusion I'm pretty time starved and if I have to choose I put weights over cardio every time!
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Love ya Beeps! You are one of my best inspirations for lifting.

*heads to the squat stands in the basement*
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I LOVE seeing these kinds of posts. Nice job OP!
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Wow!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Wow, your before looks kinda like me now. It's great to see how the lifting, over a substantial period of time, has changed your body. We're you eating at a deficit as well? And we're you following a program? Congrats, you look great! And I love that it's not been a quick fix - it has become your habit... :)

When I waded into the free weights area, with my sturdy NROL4W bible in hand, I was NOT eating "at a deficit". I did follow the calories in that book, as well as the work-outs, but I gained 5- or 6- lbs on NROL4W. Which really means, I ate too much (and was not in a calorie-deficit, therefore).

Once I found Venus (Sept/12) I better managed/manage to eat in a calorie deficit, so most of the bodyfat loss has been in the last 12 months, actually.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I am SO excited to see this. Just recently I've decided to tone down the cardio and focus on a good weight lifting regime, as I've stalled with cardio (and frankly I sometimes don't feel like leaving the gym dripping with sweat).

If anyone is keen, I found some great resources at:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224&page=1

The website also has fantastic exercise guides with videos.

Thank you for sharing this, Beeps, it's really great motivation, and congratulations on your success!

P.S. If you don't mind sharing details of the program you followed, that would be very helpful.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!