For me, *this* is why WEIGHTS over CARDIO is KEY!

Options

Replies

• a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    HUGE thanks for posting this. My thighs are on the chunky side, even though I've reached goal weight... i HATE them. You have given me hope that then CAN be improved!! :flowerforyou:

I'm doing ChaLEAN extreme btw.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    On the left-hand side is me, after 25+ YEARS as a cardio-gym rat.

Yes, I still do SOME cardio, but my exercise-focus is on lifting heavy free weights.

Good result, but can I ask what CV work it was that you'd previously focussed on?
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I think I would have preferred to see a "before" picture where your bottoms actually fit, but it's too late now! You look great!
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    that's inspiring...thank you!
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! you look amazing!. I have A LOT to loose and I am definitely going to have to hit the weights to get toned! Totally inspired!!:drinker:
  • corebound
    Options
    Awesome work! You're on the right track. It's a horrible myth told to women they'll look like a man if they even get near the weights. It's impossible since women don't have near enough testosterone as men to get those huge muscles.

Also nothing burns fat like lifting. Muscles burn more calories as they break down and repair, where cardio will only get you so far. Both are great together, but if your goal is burn fat... hit the weights.

Here's a couple good articles from the aforemention bodybuilding.com site:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strong-vs-toned-the-truth-about-gender-specific-workouts.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/myth-of-women-lifting-heavy.htm
  • livlovra
    livlovra Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Beeps - I love you and your arms are awesome! xx I'll be back at it in a few months. Just a couple weeks left then no.3 arrives. Can't wait.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,992 Member
    Options
    alis - cardio before was outdoor jogging/running, biking, elliptical machines (I've never stepped on a treadmill, though!), step-cardio group classes, bikram hot yoga, walking....guess that sums up my "before" pursuits!

Sailor - the "before", by far, has my UGLIEST bottoms on record. hip-huggers did my pear shape NO favours...

livlovra - congrats on baby #3! Awesome!
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't worry ladies.. Building muscle is not an easy thing to do (if you keep it natural), especially for women.. So go ahead and incorporate some weight resistance training in your workouts..
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Hell Effin Yes!!! way too many woman fear lifting for the fear of "looking like a man"! Thats as mythical as the pink unicorn! :noway: :noway: Good for you and thank you for sharing. :drinker: :drinker: Hopefully other women out there will realize lifting is good for them, not bad!
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Perfect display of how weights can tranform your body!! You look AWESOME! Congrats!! Grrrrr!!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Thanks! Your support is appreciated!

:smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    alis - cardio before was outdoor jogging/running, biking, elliptical machines (I've never stepped on a treadmill, though!), step-cardio group classes, bikram hot yoga, walking....guess that sums up my "before" pursuits!

I've alluded to this in a question before, to be met with bafflement at the time, as I think we end up in national differences around the phrasing of cardio. With the list above I'm surprised not to see better definition in your legs in the "before", although clearly few have much impact on core or upper body.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Incredible transformation, congrats well deserved after all your hard work and thank you for sharing with us, so inspirational :) . Actually took strength training classes for 6 weeks to learn proper form etc and just finished there last week, have already noticed subtle changes to my body - down inches and just looking more toned. I'm not looking to loose much further now just to work on my shape so this is so inspiring, I really need to up my weight lifting routines now and focus less on the cardio.

Can i just ask when you say free weights is it dumbells/barbells...is this what you used while you were doing your programme? :)
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Love it! Way to go!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    musicloverx - yes, I use DB's and BB's in my program. The only "machine" I use, at present, is the "assisted chin-up" which permits some assistance as I cannot do a pull-up or a chin-up, at this point, without some assistance. (I use the machine, sometimes, for dips, too! Although I can do those just off a regular ol' work-out bench.)
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Beeps2011, I'm pear shape also, weight attaches to my hips and thighs - you've given me so much inspiration!

If i may ask, how often do you put aside for cardio and how often for weights?

And, if I understood correctly, you also ate at a slight deficit?
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    giusa - From January, 2012 through October, 2012, I was (unfortunately) not eating in a calorie deficit (even though I followed the numbers in the NROL4W/NROL4Abs books). I thought I was, but I was not - I gained WEIGHT during this time period (5 lbs!).

So, in october, 2012 (i.e. 1 year ago), i got aggressive with my bodyfat loss. I *did* eat at a calorie-deficit and I'm still doing this (in an attempt to move ~5- or 10- more lbs of bodyfat off my frame.

I lift weights 3 x per week, for 1 hour each session. (You can add 3-min warm-up and 10-min stretch/roll at the end to those times....so, basically 75 mins per session.)

I do 75-minutes of scheduled cardio on Saturday mornings (which includes about 10-mins of barbie doll weights and 10 mins of stretching - so actually only 55 mins of step-cardio).
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reply! Truly appreciative!
  • coffee4me57
    Options
    awesome
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!