Barely able to walk!

Options
I started the RunKeeper half-marathon training this week and went for my first longer run today - 5 miles at race pace. I've been able to run 3 miles a few times a week since the start of the year. I got through it okay (and at 10 min/mile pace!) but when I got home, my legs were killing me. I've tried stretching everything a few times, and I have ice packs everywhere, but basically I can barely walk at the moment! I can't put any weight on my feet and my calves are on the verge of cramping. Owwwwwww. Is this what happens every time you increase your distance? Owwwwwwww!

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You may only want to increase a mile each week at first. I get sore with increases but never that sore! My longest run is 11 miles.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    That's how you know you got a good run.

Feel the burn!!!
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 4 weeks and did 13.1miles today. After my 10+ mile days I tend to limp for 24-48hrs.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I am trying to increase my jogging as well. When I push myself too much, I hurt so I make sure I take ibuprofen before my run and hydrate with water and eat protein afterwards. I also take a good swim to relieve my pain but you could try a Epsom salt bath. IT is great for tired and sore muscles. Just make sure you take a rest day tomorrow so your body can repair itself.
  • sm_usagi
    sm_usagi Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ooooh bath. That sounds like an excellent idea. Will it undo my last couple of hours' effort with the icepacks though?

If it's going to hurt this much every time I think taking a pre-emptive ibuprofen might be a good idea.
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I would say you probably ran too fast for the distance for you if you are that sore. You should always feel like you could run another mile if you had to. IMO, you are setting yourself up to quit or get hurt if you keep pushing yourself so hard so quickly.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    it seems to me that the cool pool water really helps me reduce my pain after pushing myself so I would think ice packs would help you. I also am noticing hat as long as I give myself a sort of rest day every other day ( I just don't push as hard the next day but step it up again in two days) then it seems to be getting easier and I can endure more. So yes, I say it will get easier for sure.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Tart cherry juice, many athletes use it for muscle ache relief. 6 ounces, must be Tart cherry juice. Studies show it is more effective in reducing inflammation than 800 mg Ibruprofin.
  • sm_usagi
    sm_usagi Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would say you probably ran too fast for the distance for you if you are that sore. You should always feel like you could run another mile if you had to. IMO, you are setting yourself up to quit or get hurt if you keep pushing yourself so hard so quickly.

This is the first time I've tried any proper running training and I am following the RunKeeper program. Maybe it's not set up well? The first week is 3 miles easy, 3 miles easy, 3 miles easy and 5 miles race pace. I thought it seemed weird to go harder for the longer distance but I tried my best!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 4 weeks and did 13.1miles today. After my 10+ mile days I tend to limp for 24-48hrs.

???
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

This is the first time I've tried any proper running training and I am following the RunKeeper program. Maybe it's not set up well? The first week is 3 miles easy, 3 miles easy, 3 miles easy and 5 miles race pace. I thought it seemed weird to go harder for the longer distance but I tried my best!

i was having a play with the endo one and felt the long run was asking for too much too soon, too.

perhaps have a look at alternates (hal higdon, runners world). if you stick with this one, at very least repeat this week before moving forward.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You longer runs should be slower paced. I'm training for a 10 mile race and each week increased one mile but all my long runs were 1-2 min slower than race pace. The shorter ones should be your faster runs.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You need a new plan! Try Hal Higdon's novice 1. Hal will get you there and not get you injured. You should not be doing your long runs at race pace! That's a good way to get injured or burned out before race day. Slow and steady makes it to the starting line.
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I trained for a half marathon, I'd do long runs at slower than race pace, and only do race pace on the shorter runs. I read a lot of training plans, and most of them seemed pretty similar in that respect. I did 12 minute miles for race pace for the first half marathon - yes, slow, but I wanted to do it safely and just get through the distance without injury!

I'm juuust starting to run again after a year long break - looking forward to training again. But I'm starting super slow. Just a bit of jogging in with the walking right now.
  • AmberJewelCR
    Options
    Get a rolling pin. Stretch, and roll out your muscles. It's what I do.

Also, feel the burn!!!!
  • Gorn1120
    Gorn1120 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I'm real sore, I do one or more of the following:
    -Stretch all muscles involved in running
    -Ensure I'm well hydrated
    -Ice Bath (or just ice cold water)
    -Eat a banana
    -Massage my muscles with a running stick (see https://www.thestick.com/)
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Banana.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am trying to increase my jogging as well. When I push myself too much, I hurt so I make sure I take ibuprofen before my run and hydrate with water and eat protein afterwards. I also take a good swim to relieve my pain but you could try a Epsom salt bath. IT is great for tired and sore muscles. Just make sure you take a rest day tomorrow so your body can repair itself.

" take ibuprofen before my run " Never, I repeat, NEVER do this.

1. Studies conducted on runners at the Western States 100 miler found that there was no perceived or actual difference between the runners using ibuprofen during the race and those who weren’t.
    2. The use of NSAIDs to mask pain from an injury may allow you to continue training in the short-term, but will ultimately lead to a more serious and longer lasting injury down the road.
    3. Research strongly points to the conclusion that pre-run NSAID use is not only ineffective, but dangerous. Prostaglandins increase blood flow to the kidneys, so the inhibition of their production can predispose runners to renal failure, especially in longer events where dehydration is at issue. All NSAIDs can damage the stomach mucosa and result in ulceration and bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract.

Use it only sparingly AFTER, a run to help with inflammation.
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might have tried to fast, too long, too soon. I did this a few months back and pulled something in my hip/ back which lead to the same cramping and pain. I pushed myself to keep increasing distances after that. I could barely walk after each run and I knew it wasn't right. I had to bring the distance right down and get past all the other problems it caused with my left knee. Once it all worked its way through I started again but building distance very slowly. Now i experience normal muscle fatigue rather than excessive cramping or hardly being able to walk.

The bottom line for me is strength and conditioning. I feel running should be something to enjoy not rush through. You will meet your goals but listen to your body. If I were you I would go on some very gentle runs and when you feel ok start building no more than half a mile a week, for example I just did a super spartan and I took 6 weeks building from 4-5 miles to 8 miles. I'm doingba spartan beast in 5-6 weeks and in that time I will take my weekly long run from 8-12 miles. Give yourself time to work through stuff. All the best!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

???

That's what I was thinking too.