anyone quitting smoking?

Options

Replies

• aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I quit over 3 years ago. I took Wellbutrin to help with the cravings. The one thing that helped me was having a short straw around. I actually inhaled through it when I got a craving for a cigarette and it really helped (I cut them about the same length as a cigarette
    and held it the same way). I read somewhere that when you're quitting smoking sometimes you actually forget to breathe deeply!

You can do this!!
  • joni92258
    Options
    I stopped smoking last Monday, the same day that I decided to join myfitnesspal. Figured I'd knock both my bad habits out with one fell swoop. So far, so good.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    Options
    I smoked my last cigarette yesterday. I've quit twice before once using Chantix, once cold turkey. I'm 50, have smoked 30+ years. I remained smoke free for about 4 months and I'll be the first to admit I loved not smoking. But habits are hard to break. You have some bad days. Anybody that says you don't is not being truthful. Today is my first day smoke free. I hope to make it one of many. I wish you the best of luck, strong will and determination :D
  • Tarabobera
    Tarabobera Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    me and my husband quit smoking july 10th and gained some too, wasn't with this program yet started it 9/6 --6lbs of it gone for now, you might gain some to begin with but you can work it off once the cig cravings die down. (I agree with most things said here too)
    The biggest thing that helped me though was praying to God I felt at 7 and 14 days quit some really bad cravings I'd smoked from 14-38 years old chain smoked mostly too, but I felt a peaceful feeling come over me when I felt that God was showing me some things about it..
    like how it controlling your life and realizing that it does actually makes u want to quit, gives you motivation and during a really bad fit both me and my husband were having at 14 days I felt a comfort in thinking, you know if we go buy them and smoke em up we will still be craving them just poorer-- and defeated... either way we gonna want em so which way is better? that actually helped us both forget about them crazy as it sounds =) and then I felt more like inserting more exersize and getting healthier weight wise too.
    Both of us hated water when we were smokers, went with coffee or mt dew.. now it's 1 coffee in the am, water all day and one crystal lite at night =)
    I hope and pray for anyone who 's trying to quit it's not an easy battle but supporting each other sure does help =)
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I gave it up 13 years ago and I can tell you it was not fun for the first month. BUT after coughing up all that disgusting tar from my lungs, nothing on this earth will ever make me pick up another. I spent my last month cutting down on ciggies and then got to the point where I maybe had 1 or 2 a day and then---what was the point?? But like I said--I had to cough up all that gross stuff and you will too so be ready. NOW??? I hate the smell, and have no desire for one. You can do this, just take it one day at a time and cut down until you don't need them.
  • Lkkiser3
    Lkkiser3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker ( pack a day) for 11 years. This November will mark 1 year since I've quit. BEST DECISION EVER. Its kind of like losing weight.. you'll make it happen when your ready. I woke up one morning and decided I didn't want to smoke anymore. So I just didn't. Took a lot of pacing through the house and lots of chewing gum, but I did it. Its definitely worth it. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    also, be prepared to feel bleurgh at times as all of that rubbish has to come out of your system. i felt like i had a heavy cold for a week or so.
  • iwillbeoneday
    iwillbeoneday Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am 6 weeks smoke free today. I had tried quitting a few times before but this time I truly wanted to quit and I think that's why I've been able to easily stay away since going cold turkey. I did notice a very noticeable bloat going on all over but mainly in my stomach. Did anyone else have this? I did see (Google search) that this is a side effect for some. My stomach would look 7 months pregnant... not the most comfortable of feelings. I can tell that I've gained weight by scale and the way clothes fit. I'm know quitting takes a hard hit to your metabolism so I'm trying to be patient while it rebuilds. Did anyone else gain weight once they quit? Once it the amount of food that needed to fixed or what helped you get over the hump?
  • ladymm40
    Options
    I highly recommend the website Quitnet.com. I joined it 471 days ago when I decided to quit smoking. It is a wonderful, helpful site. I could not have quit without it. I used the lozenges when I quit, they were really helpful.

Good luck you can do it....Add me if you want.
  • spookiefox
    spookiefox Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm diving in the deep end, diet starts tomorrow, also exercise/toning up, and I am cold turkey quitting.

Anyone else quitting smoking? Would love some ex smokers or currently quitting peoples to talk too!

I quit 10 years ago. I realized it was costing me enough to buy a couple of nice new computers a year, and the computer geek in my decided that was way better than the enjoyment I got from smoking. So I finished the pack I was in the middle of and just quit. Never had another. Bought a butt-load of the gum, but chewed exactly one piece. Stuff tastes terrible. Never missed it and never craved them.

I think people get so worked up by worrying about how bad it will be when they quit they experience what scientists call the "nocebo" effect. (It's a real word. "Placebo" means "I will please." Nocebo means "I will harm.") I didn't expect to feel bad, and I didn't. People are always saying stuff like "It's worse to quit than heroin" and stuff like that. All I'm saying is that not everyone experiences that, so don't assume it will be terrible.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in 2010 after an 11 year pack a day habit. I lived in New York at the time and the 12-13 dollars for a pack on top of health reasons was incentive to stop. Also, I was always a hypocrite smoker in that I hated the smell. I still crave a cigarette when I'm stressed out, or when I'm drinking but it passes.

Good luck!
  • seanonoldschool
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck! I quit smoking a week before I started exercising and eating right. The lifestyle change was hard at first but it is well worth it! I have been cigarette free for 6 1/2 months now and not looking back. Best of luck to you
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm diving in the deep end, diet starts tomorrow, also exercise/toning up, and I am cold turkey quitting.

Anyone else quitting smoking? Would love some ex smokers or currently quitting peoples to talk too!

I quit cold turkey and never looked back. I think I exchanged one addiction for another! However, not upset as exercise is a much healthier addiction! Good luck, you got this!
  • tc41586
    tc41586 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I quit ten months ago tomorrow. I highly recommend the Cessation Nation App for your phone. It calculates money saved, time saved, how long it has been since you quit, and tells you the health benefits along the way. It is what got me through that rough initial time.

I did put on about 10-15 pounds since quitting, and am working on that now. I feel SO much better! You can do it!!!!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks into quitting cold turkey myself. I haven't had 1 cigarette since then. I won't lie, it's friggin hard to resist temptation especially when one feels stressed, but it feels soooooo much better to be able to breathe! I wish you tons and tons of luck sweetie. It can be done!!!!
  • spookiefox
    Options
    Just taken the ''Allen Carr The Only Way To Stop Smoking Permenantly'' book out of the library :D Thanks people.

Mr. Carr seems a bit presumptuous. His is not the only way. He can say, if he chooses, that I've only quit for ten years and I may begin again, but he has as much evidence for that as I have that the people who quit using his "only" method will.
  • tiger4nikki
    tiger4nikki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I need to get that book! I WANT to quit, but with all of the stress I have, I just never really try. It seems to calm me. But I would LOVE to just quit and be done with it!
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    QUITTING IS SEXY!

:wink: :tongue: :love: :smooched: :blushing:
  • spookiefox
    Options
    I quit cold turkey in 2010 after an 11 year pack a day habit. I lived in New York at the time and the 12-13 dollars for a pack on top of health reasons was incentive to stop. Also, I was always a hypocrite smoker in that I hated the smell. I still crave a cigarette when I'm stressed out, or when I'm drinking but it passes.

Good luck!

LOL The smell never bothered me then, and it still doesn't bother me. It always strikes me as strange how many people are bothered the smell. It's no worse than the smell in my hair and on my clothes from the campfire when I camp. i guess we're all different.

I also couldn't care less who smokes. I'm much more turned off by people who drink heavily, but I'm not really bothered by that either, so long as they don't drive. I do wonder why smoking is so demonized in this country while drinking is not.
  • punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    do it. really. in my cigarette free 6 months, i have scraped enough together to take my son away for a week. for me, my weight has crept up slowly over the last couple of years and due to health problems limiting exercise, i know i'm not going to lose 30+ lbs in a few months but the benefits of stopping smoking begin straight away. my different way of eating is an ongoing thing.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I just may give it another go very soon; I tried last in August and found it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be... I just need to find some way to deal with my chain-smoking housemate, and I'd be golden! :D