For me, *this* is why WEIGHTS over CARDIO is KEY!

Options

Replies

• p00ki3nb00
    p00ki3nb00 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great Job! look amazing!
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    weights are awesome - no back issues though? I had some back issues creep up on me about 15 months into lifting...
  • Frankietb
    Frankietb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic, healthy and fit! Well done!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    jewelsinbig - I *used* to have lower-back/hip issues. About 8 years ago I injured myself (not through any exercise endeavour). However, strength-training has eliminated these problems, completely! (Even 2.5 years of bikram hot yoga didn't "eliminate" the back/hip problem areas, although it did alleviate most of the pain.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    jewelsinbig - I *used* to have lower-back/hip issues. About 8 years ago I injured myself (not through any exercise endeavour). However, strength-training has eliminated these problems, completely! (Even 2.5 years of bikram hot yoga didn't "eliminate" the back/hip problem areas, although it did alleviate most of the pain.)

Same here. I didn't have any official diagnosed back problems, but I used to wrench my back a couple times a year. I was re-reading an old journal from about 5-6 years ago, and I'm amazed at how many times I was writing, "Hurt my back today." "Must've slept funny last night, because I can't stand up straight today." "Threw my back out at work." "On the couch, taking muscle relaxants." "Called off work today."

None since I've been lifting.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Once I get into that 130 or 120 range then I will start using weights but for now its just going to be cardio for me. From my understand, cardio slims and tightens you up while lifting weights builds muscle and hides those carbs you eat easily.

No. Start now. Lifting will maintain the muscle you already have, while you lose the fat above. If you are eating at a deficit you will not build muscle. Without resistance training, you will lose both muscle and fat, and it is a whole lot harder and not nearly efficient to build back the muscle you never should have lost in the first place.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Great job OP!
  • mlb567
    mlb567 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wowza!
    Looking good.
    I just ordered a kettlebell and some free weights.
    No idea where to start but I have the weights, and a DVD and I am ready to go!
  • kramalicious
    Options
    You look great. Thanks for posting that, and for posting your weight training info. I love weight lifting . What did/do you do for cardio when you did it?
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    To reinforce what OP said.

All you need to get into shape is an idea of your calorie intake vs the amount of cals u need to maintain your weight. You make sure you choose healthy foods and make sure not a lot of your choices are processed, and you will lose weight consistantly without cardio. The other part of the diet is if you handle only drinking water except maybe a day or two on the weekends, if will help tremendously. The amount of calores you cut out by drinking only water is actually insane. The thing is though, some people might say, 'well how come I can't drink diet soda/beverages since it has low/no cals?' Well diet drinks for some reason or another (probably the artificial sweeteners and other crap in it) it causes water retention, meaning bloating. It also is thought to cause an insulin release. Now you are probably saying why would it do that if there is no sugar in it. Well our bodies being simple yet complicated, when we taste something sweet, the body is thought to release insulin based off just that. So that's why water is the best. It's not so much the diet drink as it is what you are going to eat/drink after the insulin release.

As far as 'exercise'. Lift weights, period, no excuses. The more LBM you have (Lean Body Mass aka Muscle) the more calories you will burn during periods of inactivity. If you are a woman and your fear is that you don't want to look like a man, you won't because the transformation from going to what you look like now if you aren't lifting weights, to the extreme of looking masculine, would take a lot of time, and in a large part of the scenarios where the women you see look 'manly', they are taking steroids as well. Just like how hard it can be to do a transformation by losing weight, you won't gain muscle over night either. Actually, for someone who has been weight training for more than a year, it is impossible to put on more than 1lb of muscle a month (the figure is actually less) unless you take steroids. You make most of your gains (put on the most LBM aka Muscle) in the first year of lifting weights.

As far as cardio goes. well, cardio is a slippery slope for most people. For most people who want to get in shape, and fail along the way for no other reason then they arent satisfied with the results they got from the amount of effort they put in, they are likely switching their food sources, and eating healthier, but are doing minimal weight training, and a lot/some cardio. People think the secret to getting into shape fast is watching what you eat and doing cardio. While yes that will work for a while, you will drop weight, and look better. Most of these people didn't take the time to figure out how many calories they need to be eating in order to lose weight while preserving muscle. This is where cardio can be detrimental to your goals. Cardio is going to create a larger deficit in your calories ingested vs calories expended. But, when we are hungry, as humans, we have a tendency to eat. If you are already not tracking how much you should be eating, you are more then likely eating way too little, and then you do cardio, you are going to impulsively eat when you are done, or a few hrs later. Then should you have eaten your final meal for the day after you did cardio, but haven't eaten enough, you will more than likely end up eating again. If you eat again and it happens to be sometime late at night right before you go to bed, or wake up in the middle of the night hungry, you will probably eat a really unhealthy snack which has a lot of carbs in it. So in the end, you did the cardio for nothing as far as weight loss goes. In the long run, cardio is detrimental unless you figure out your calorie intake because you will end up burning muscle. We want to preserve as much muscle as possible, because that is the biggest part about looking in shape, and burning calories when you are inactive/sleeping. So don't make cardio your primary form of exercise unless you have to ie heart problems or understand your calorie intake and macronutrients

I guess I should add that I lost 45lbs without doing any cardio.

awesome.. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I love lifting also and have seen so many amazing results.. love it. ;)

congrats.. you look awesome.. I wish more people really and truly understood how much weight lifting could help them.. I see too many women doing cardio and more cardio only day in and day out.. with min results. ;(
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Way to go - you look incredible!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    WOW!!!!! :heart: :drinker:
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Wow! I have fallen into the bad habit of cardio only to burn off the extra pounds I gained on vacation but I think I better start adding in some weights.
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Very nicely done! Getting close to switching from losing to recomp. Just changed my training routine to reflect that.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yes, as well as 3 hours a week of martial arts I am joining you with the weights thang too girl!
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness!

I've been reading up on lifting and bought the NROLFW and am planning on starting at the end of October when I've got it all right in my head (and got at least some of the equipment - can't get to a gym). You've inspired me to take some 'before' shots and get started. I think lifting combined with some running should be fun :)
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    OP: I do believe I have a raging grrl crush on you. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    kramalicious, I've done all sorts of cardio, including: jogging, walking (briskly), step-aerobics, biking, etc. Now that I'm down to only 1 x scheduled weekly cardio, it is a cardio-step-group-class (I *do* miss my friends, but I get to see them once per week!).

I still do "unscheduled" cardio from time-to-time - might be swimming, or walking outside, or basketball with the kids, or whatever....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!