Who doesn't eat vegetables? What do you do instead?

Options

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I used to be so good about eating vegetables but now I eat them maybe once a month or less. I ate seaweed the other day, but I take a multivitamin and have no problem getting my fiber from other sources like coconut flour and high fiber bread.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I figure I get enough vegetables from my Cheetos Jalapeno snacks and popcorn.
  • Aarchman07030
    Aarchman07030 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious about why people would choose not to eat veggies at all.

Is it just a matter of personal preference? Are good, fresh veggies available where you typically shop? Do you consider food prep of veggies too time consuming and/or complicated? Is it a budget issue?

Is a no-veggie diet a conscious part of your nutrition plan?

I'm not looking to preach veggies; I'm just interested in how people come to take the no-veggie path.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Do you take supplements? Do you drink the V8 drinks? What does your doctor say about this?

He looks at my blood work results and....doesn't ask. :)

To be honest, I do have some vegetables. I love cabbage and will throw shredded coleslaw mix into the crockpot along with the other goodies, and I'll stir fry with frozen mixed vegetables (corn, peas, beans, carrots). I don't not-like many vegetables, I just prefer other things more.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm such a picky eater ... I'll eat some veggies, but it's pretty few and far between. But as picky as I am with veggies, I'm MUCH more picky about drinking stuff, I've never had a smoothie or anything.

Candy corn doesn't count as a vegetable does it? Popcorn? *Ü*
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I mix the vegetables in my meal and then I can eat 2 or 3 servings of vegetables at a time. I really like SOME vegetables, but I do not like to just eat a bowl or plate of plain vegetables. :\
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This is weird. So many people don't like vegetables? Like as a whole, the entire food group? I hate peas, but I like most other stuff. I hated green beans until I realised it was just that I hate overcooked boiled furry ones. They're delicious sauteed in a bit of butter.

I don't know anyone who would say they don't like vegetables.

um. suggestions. chuck handfuls of baby spinach in your pasta, it wilts away to nothing. make green smoothies with parsley, celery and spinach or kale, with orange, apple, pear, banana, kiwi...whatever really. Cook up a roast dinner with oven-roasted potato, pumpkin & sweet potato - surely people don't dislike roast veggies??
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have never understood why an adult would not just suck it up and eat their vegetables. It seems like something you would have to force a child to do, not a grown up.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'll eat anyone's vegetables if they don't want them. ****ing love me some vegetables :love:
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow, you all need to learn how to cook .. lol! Prepared the right way, i.e. not boiled or microwaved to death, or from a can, they can be quite delicious ...

Cauliflower Gratin
    Maple (or Honey, or a combo) Glazed Carrots (also beets)
    Stir fry veggies sautéed in bacon drippings
    Broccoli w/ cheddar
    Roasted butternut squash w/ crushed red pepper flake and paprika
    Caramelized onions (flambéed w/ bourbon)
    Brussels sprouts and onions w/ bacon and butter ...

The list is ENDLESS! (I'm a foodie ... can't you tell? ... lol)

Seriously, my ex HATED veggies (as did his dad) ... He NEVER turned down a veggie I prepared ... except zucchini, he didn't like the texture ... and his dad, who was IMO, the pickiest eater EVER, ALWAYS ate the veggie side dishes I would bring over ... And he was the type of guy that would tell you straight to your face if something sucked, wasn't one to beat around the bush or mince words ... My ex's mom was dumbfounded that her husband and sons were actually eating vegetables, it was hilarious ...
  • jadedhippo
    jadedhippo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had a friend in high school who never ate vegetables. Sometimes I wonder if she's still alive.

I love my vegetables. Broccoli and I are friends.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Try this..a pound of fresh green beans
    Cut off ends and put in a bowl
    Add, two tablespoons olive oil, two tbsp of parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes to taste and as many chopped up garlic cloves as you wish...spray pam on a baking sheet, spread out beans (after mixing them well in the bowl with the other ingredients), add another tbsp of parmesan cheese on top and bake at 350 for 25 minutes.....guaranteed you will eat your veggies from now on! :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Wow, you all need to learn how to cook .. lol! Prepared the right way, i.e. not boiled or microwaved to death, or from a can, they can be quite delicious ...

Cauliflower Gratin
    Maple (or Honey, or a combo) Glazed Carrots (also beets)
    Stir fry veggies sautéed in bacon drippings
    Broccoli w/ cheddar
    Roasted butternut squash w/ crushed red pepper flake and paprika
    Caramelized onions (flambéed w/ bourbon)
    Brussels sprouts and onions w/ bacon and butter ...

The list is ENDLESS! (I'm a foodie ... can't you tell? ... lol)

Seriously, my ex HATED veggies (as did his dad) ... He NEVER turned down a veggie I prepared ... except zucchini, he didn't like the texture ... and his dad, who was IMO, the pickiest eater EVER, ALWAYS ate the veggie side dishes I would bring over ... And he was the type of guy that would tell you straight to your face if something sucked, wasn't one to beat around the bush or mince words ... My ex's mom was dumbfounded that her husband and sons were actually eating vegetables, it was hilarious ...

this....how can people NOT eat veggies ever... and just eating potatos does not count lol
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how people can say they don't like vegetables. That's such a broad category of completely different tastes and textures.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I hate veggies! I only eat, green beans, carrots, corn, peas, spinach (if its in soup or a dip form). I will eat diced onion and peppers in tomato sauces and mushrooms only in sauces or casseroles. I will not eat salad or any raw veggies. I do take lots of vitamins, and I used to drink V8 fusion daily. Then I realized it was full of added sugars, so stopped drinking it.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    When I'm not eating veggies I'm eating bacon or peanut butter or ice cream or bacon.
    Mostly bacon:bigsmile:
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I love fruits and veggies, but have to limit them severely for health reasons (I have a problem with very high oxalates, which cause huge chicken-egg-sized kidney stones and cause other problems).

When I was teaching my kids to love them, I would use them as INGREDIENTS to things to make them more palatable. Who wants a big pile of soggy spinach by itself? I would take fresh baby spinach leaves and chop them and work them into spaghetti sauce, quiche, and Mexican dishes. No one can taste it! Also, dips that are vegetable based like salsa, hummus and pico de gallo are great.

Mixing the flavors/textures with other things really helps (that's why smothering with cheese is so popular!) but you can work them into sandwiches, soups, casseroles. I recommend cutting them very small at first until you get used to the texture and taste.

I really miss my veggies ... I was eating a plant-based diet when we realized that THAT was the cause of my problems. The healthier the fruit/veggie, the worse it is for me (especially leafy greens). Now I have to eat mostly carbs and some meat (I also have to watch uric acid levels caused by purinols in meats). If you need recipes/ideas, let me know, I have lots!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have never understood why an adult would not just suck it up and eat their vegetables. It seems like something you would have to force a child to do, not a grown up.

This!^

Some people hate to exercise, but they do it anyway .......for their health.

Some poeple hate to brush their teeth, but they do it anyway .......for their health.

Some people hate to go to the doctor, but they do it anyway .......for their health.
  • deereb123
    deereb123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake that has lots of nutrition packed into it and have seen a huge difference since I started.
  • ToriKern
    ToriKern Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Too funny! There is one in every bunch!!! Love it!