Running when overweight?

Options

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I started running at 238/239-ish (5'9" female) and have bad hips and back problems. I've only gone down to 224 now and run 4-4.5 miles at a time, and I'm working up to half-marathon training.

Start by getting fitted for good running shoes. Go to a specialty running store, and have them do a free gait analysis, then get some shoes that are good for your body and running style. Then work up to distance running by doing intervals. Do you run at all yet? If not, maybe try the c25k program to get started. That's what I started with at the end of April, and my training plan right now is working towards 10 miles at a time within the next 2 months.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    At 6'2 ans 210 you ate HARDLY overweight. You are about my size. I've been running for about 25 yrs and NEVER had a knee problem. Doesn't mean that you won't. An important thing is to keep verything in line. It was explained to me years ago that the ankle, knees and hips make up a great shock absorber. You must make sure that everything is pro[erly lined up. Your legs should go straight forward and straight back. If your arms don't go straight forward and back, if they flair out, then you are not properly alighned. Try it for awhile. If you aren't used to running then everything will hurt for a little while. Just take it slow and if your knees do bother you then talk to a doctor.

Good luck

Basil
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    You should be okay if you start slow and take your time. When I first started with this weight loss thing I started walking and wanted to move on to running as well. What I used to do because I didn't want anyone to see me struggling was get out extra early in the morning. I'd walk a block, run a block, until I was able to run the whole time. I did this for awhile because I couldn't afford the gym. Later on I moved to the treadmill and each month as I got faster and could run farther, I'd increase my speed. I'm now running at 6.7 on the treadmill. I alternate when I can between running on the treadmill and a regular run on the road. I have to admit to some minor knee issues but it is mostly due to an injury some years ago. All you need are the proper shoes, learn proper form and pace yourself. Heavier folks (like me) need shoes with extra cushioning to make the impact easier on our knee joints. Also make sure you get some strength training in as well, like lunges and squats with weights. It helps to keep your legs strong and run farther and faster.

Take your time and go for it!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at 300lbs but took the programme slow (ie 1 or 2 runs a week with elliptical & weights in between). I now regularly run 5k+ a couple of times a week and am building up my speed (42mins today) with various goals I'm aiming for as my fitness/ speed improves as my weight drops (5k race, 10k race etc.). I've found as long as I have a decent break between runs my knees are fine. They can be a bit achey straight after a run and if they are particularly bad then I'll ice them. Overall I'm thoroughly enjoying running and the health benefits out way any risks as long as I listen to my body and am sensible.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention that concrete is rougher on your joints. I have found trails to be gentler than asphalt, which is gentler than concrete.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I started c25k at 310 pounds and just finished a 5k event yesterday while 265ish pounds. So I'm totally unimpressed with 210 pounds being "overweight for running". Oh yeah, and I'm old - 47.
  • LumpySpacePrincess1
    Options
    Lol I wasn't using my weight as an excuse! Just as a measure so people could judge whether or not I'm 'allowed' torun.
    Judging by all the posts I clearly am able and should have started way sooner.
    You've all been a magnificent help and inspiration :heart:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I think obesity is worse for your knees than running, and if you do it right, meaning go nice a slow so you can sustain your pace or do the jeff Galloway system of run walk intervals, you should be golden

I agree! Start slowly. I was alternating walking fast and running on the treadmill-2 min fast walking and 2 min running. Obesity is hard on the knees, and hips. Ask any orthopedic physician.
  • SHRINKINGG1
    SHRINKINGG1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am inspired and will soon be running with ya'll. I want to run a 5K for my 48th birthday in March so I have time to train.
  • nordeast_yah
    Options
    I'm doing well running (jogging, sometimes barely, but definitely moving) with Couch 2 5K.

I just got an app for my phone that does the interval timing and lets me play my own music, which helps a ton.

Stretch, stretch, stretch before hand.

If I can at 6' and (started at 320, now at) 292, you can.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Its no so much how much you weigh, more like the condition your knees are in.

Example - I would love to run, I used to enjoy it when I was younger - before I abused my body by kneeling in places where lil old ladies would say "you'll regret that when you're older"
    My Ortho said I have arthritus, not the genetic kind, the "you should have been nicer to your body" kind and I am not allowed to run.
    Walk yes, Bike, yes, anything, except run.

I'd love to run with my dog like my son does, except I think she'd end up helping me to walk home.

If it hurts, don't do it, start slow and easy and work up to it.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I did walk&runs, 20 min walk followed by very slow 5 min run. Otherwise my knees would collapse. As you begin to lose weight change it up 5 min walk 20 min run and then increase run minutes. No speed trainings until you lose more weight. Listen to your knees. The good news? Your bones get stronger and with time you'll be able to run longer and faster.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Something I've always wanted to train myself to do was run for long distances, but I recently read that anyone either heavy or overweight just shouldn't run at all because they'll basically massacre their knees?
    Is this true? Am I doomed to forever use the elliptical?
    Elliptical's not gangster at all :grumble:
    I'm 210lbs and 6'2, so about 20lbs overweight.

Nope just take it slowly.. work yourself up to it. Walking fast turns into some jogging then all out running. Try to do your walking then go into a jog for as long as you can handle then back to a walk, keep doing this. Interval jogging/walking burns lots of calories. I just started but the more I try is the longer I can handle a jog spurt. Just take it easy and make sure you stretch afterwards.
  • ryanferrer17
    Options
    Try to do a bit of strength training on days you are not doing any form of cardio. Although there are people who can run without pain in the knees, better safe than sorry. You provide better support if the muscles' strength is increased.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Stretch, stretch, stretch before hand.

Actually No well not static stretches all the research over the past decade as pointed towards static stretches causing and promoting injuries before running. Best best is to warm up with a bit of a walk before running ore just start very didn't for the first 10 minutes
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    In March of this year I hadn't broken into anything other than a fast waddle for the best part of 15 years. I used C25K and now run 2-3 times a week. I've just signed up for the BUPA Great Manchester run next May. its only 10k but I hope by then I'll have lost another few stone and will be able to complete it in a respectable time.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Keeping my stride fairly short with a midfoot strike makes a big, big difference in my knees' attitude toward running. I wear minimalist shoes. They were the only shoes I could wear for a year or two because of bunions and other joint-related issues, and now they help me a lot with running form.

I hope it's going well for you, Lumpy! :happy:
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    im 5' 9" and weigh 274 lbs and 100 lbs over weight. I've lost 78 lbs so far and have been running. I have been building up slowly but surely and now on average do over 4 miles, 4 days a week. It has been the best thing ever for my body. Not only I am loosing a great amount of weight but my legs and knees are getting stronger. I think that have a talk with your doctor if he says your body is healthy enough to run go for it!
  • armymom5
    armymom5 Posts: 115
    Options
    I have knee problems and I run. But, I learned from experience that overdoing it does cause injuries not just to the knees. In the last year, I have had a stress fracture and plantar fascitis. So far what I'm doing is working well for me. I workout 6 days a week. I'm doing a couch to 5K program and run every other day following that program and on the days I don't run, I do an elliptical interval program. And rest one day a week. Good luck to you!
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am 240 (now down to 229) and I run in intervals. I do the C25k app. I suck at it!! But for some reason, I keep going. I am still on week one even though I have been doing it for over a month. But I am doing the best I can and burning massive calories while doing it. I cannot run for long periods of time (60 seconds max) but it is a great start for me. Here are some things to keep in mind:

1) Invest in some good flexible knee braces to keep your knees stabilized if they feel shaky or weak
    2) Practice good form. Let your entire foot absorb the pressure and try not to be too stiff
    3) Stop when you get tired
    4) Invest in good shoes. I started out with "running" shoes that had very little sole and later realized that I needed a thick sole with a wide tow box in order to help absorb some of the pounding
    5) Stretch, stretch and stretch before and after your run
    6) Do some good exercises to strengthen the thigh muscles around your knees. Once those muscles that actually hold your knee in place are good and strong, you have less chance of injury