I think I'm being called skinny as an insult

13»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    It sounds like your sister is trying to compliment you in her own way, maybe with a little sisterly playfulness because she knows it bothers you, but she doesn't consider it to be serious. Also, most people that are not on fitness sites like this do not see skinny in the way that it is talked about in the fitness world. Most people use it as a playful compliment.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    For pete's sake you're a 24-year-old woman! Call her a rude name and then press on!
    *presses the ON button.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Be a good sister and offer her all the clothes that are too big for you. Offer to trade for her small stuff...

^^^^This. If she's truly trying to make you feel bad because she's insecure that you might become(or already are) smaller than her, then give it right back to her. And make sure you smile just like she does...maybe it will make her realize how badly she's making you feel. But, you also have to NOT let her get under your skin. Don't give her the reaction she's wanting. She's trying to still your joy. Don't let her.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Only on MFP can you find people that are insulted by someone calling them skinny.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Be a good sister and offer her all the clothes that are too big for you. Offer to trade for her small stuff...

YES!! That would be so damn hilarious!

Um... why is trading clothes funny? I give my fat clothes to my sister ALL the time.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Only on MFP can you find people that are insulted by someone calling them skinny.

Some people will take their insults anywhere they can find 'em.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    OMG i am appalled at the way some of you are being so rude to a member that is truly asking a question on here. I thought we were here to support one another. How rude some of you have been would you like it if others had been this way to you when you asked a question that was bothering you. And as to the post her is my advise go to your sister tell her how you are feeling and explain to her that you want her to be a part of your journey some can't understand what we go through, and can be very heartless and seem uncaring cause they have never had to struggle with their own selves. If that does not work ignore her because apparently she is unhappy with herself if she is trying to insult you for your accomplishments :)

:huh:
    tumblr_ll3oeqQXbe1qbvaudo1_500.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Sounds like she's a bit jealous.

Oh, definitely.
    She wants you to fail.
    And she secretly wants your man, too.
    AND her little dog!
  • txguard61
    txguard61 Posts: 51 Member
    Not to worry. I have people that I work out with that started trying to lose wait the same time I did. I lost 25 lbs and they have not lost squat, which pisses them off. So I am called anorexic and other terms. I am 6' and 175 lbs....Don't really think that qualifies as anorexic, plus I have plenty of lean muscle mass from weight lifting. She may be a bit envious.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    My brother once called me "tiny" and I wanted to hug him right them and there! I'd love it if I were you!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Do you come from a family or culture where food is really important or where people tend to be a little heavier? I was somehow labeled frail and anorexic at 5'7" and 140 lbs by the more rotund members of my family. They threatened to hospitalize me. Grandma's in a scooter and has handicapped tags because she's too large to walk... (For the record, I think they were wrong with their label and I've only ever purged when I've had the flu/food poisoning and I enjoy eating..)
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Your sister isn't insulting you. She's being a snarky sister and backhanded complimenting you. It's a compliment but because you're related, she can't just outright say that you look great. There's a code.

What's wrong with the world?

"Wow, you're so skinny!" means "I hate you and am jealous!"
    "You have such a pretty face" means "I hate your body"
    "I love your hair!" means "I hate your face!"
    "Normally I'm a boob man, but you have a fantastic butt" means "you have ugly boobs"

Ummmmm, is nobody allowed to compliment anybody anymore? Good grief!
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    She is just trying (and succeeding/failing?) to wind you up. Don't let it bother you at all. In fact, I reckon the better you do the more she'll keeping producing the comments - so sounds like you're doing well.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Ignore her. If you've told her more than once, she's trying to get a rise out of you. She's probably envious.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member

The other sister might find that insulting, actually.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    "I love your hair!" means "I hate your face!"

I KNEW it! I'm hideous, aren't I??? Everyone loves my hair!
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Sounds like she's a bit jealous.
    ^This^
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Depending on your relationship with your sister this could be anything from innocent sister teasing, to out and out insult, and I should think that you'd know her well enough to be able to work it out which without looking for stranger input.

However, best solution? Take her words as a compliment. If she meant them that way all's good. If she meant them as an insult, then you can feel superior while she thinks that you're oblivious.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member

The other sister might find that insulting, actually.

:wink:
  • new_beth_2013
    new_beth_2013 Posts: 109 Member
    I dont understand the point of this. She's your sister. Punch her. Cut holes in her socks and underwear. Shave her head in the middle of the night. But by GOD dont go on MFP and ask for advice (I mean, fish for compliments) on how to handle her when she's been your sister forEVER. You already know how to handle this.