Is this my new hobby or an obsession?

Options
rosevalleygirl23
rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Ok so I found myself obsessively checking my fitbit stats the last few days (I got it in August). And I've been been on this website an awful lot recently. Is fitness tracking and weight loss my new hobby or is it an obsession? How can you tell the difference? Has anyone else ever feel like this, like maybe you are are overindulging in the fitness stuff (stats and tracking, blogs, tv shows, workouts, new exercises, ect.) I'm changing some big habits here, I get that, but I wonder when I will find some more balance. You know like have time for other hobbies.

Replies

• psychofairy25
    psychofairy25 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Ive been wondering the same thing. :huh:
  • greenmm25
    greenmm25 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    yes when I first start it is like an obsession. but once it is a habit it is more obtainable. because you know what you want to do to get results, so it doesn't take so much research (books, tv shows) but it will always take some effort to maintain once you get to your goal so it doesn't get come back to bite you in the butt.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    To succeed, I have to put some effort into this process. To keep from getting bored, I have to keep changing and learning. Do I think about it quite a bit, yes. Is it affecting my life in a negative way? No. I see many many positive things coming out of the lost weight and increased fitness, so the time I am investing in it I am getting back and then some in increased energy, productivity, and focus.

Besides, I always obsess a little over my hobbies. As long as it doesn't start going Fatal Attraction or something, it's just normal for me. :bigsmile:

Possibly the reason you are asking this question is because you already ARE starting to envision time spent in different ways. Put some of the food or exercise stuff on autopilot for a week and spend a little time on that other hobby and see how you feel.
  • dar981
    Options
    I have been asking myself the same question, is this a hobby or obsession now, I am not sure yet...

Perhaps this just reinforces and encourages me to keep going...
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Both?
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    i was completely obsessed with mine for a month, then i realized it was controlling my life so i got rid of it. I haven;t felt that way since i was a smoker
  • losing4799
    Options
    yes when I first start it is like an obsession. but once it is a habit it is more obtainable. because you know what you want to do to get results, so it doesn't take so much research (books, tv shows) but it will always take some effort to maintain once you get to your goal so it doesn't get come back to bite you in the butt.
    I agree.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    When people study for their CPA exams, LSATS, or other very important things in their lives, it's a temporary obsession until they know the material inside out. Are you learning a healthy lifestyle for your well being? For your health? If the answer is yes, then it's worth the time invested until you are familiar and then it becomes habit and takes up less of your time.

I know that i am worth it!
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I actually read less diety stuff since I joined MFP.

I get all the info I'd ever need here really ( I am sure to apply a healthy dose of common sense before accepting as fact ).

And I love my fitbit but I never look at til about now and try to cram in whatever I can do haha.

I have felt a bit iffy about imposing restrictions on where we go to eat when I have not many calories and the man wants to go get barbeque or something. So now I just figure, screw it, it's once a week at most if he wants BBQ I will just accept the calories and move on with my life, so far its working out ok :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    For me it became an obsession. Not a good thing for me. I love my fitbit to death, I really do. But it's taken over my life. I'm back to working now after being off so long injured (still injured but no choice) and even though I'm exhausted & in pain by the time I get home I'm finding I still HAVE to meet my goal. I did have a goal of 40,000 a day but since working can only reach 30,000 before bed.

It's an obsession that can be hard on you. Same as an ED can be.

My fitness became an obsession, still is. My eating at a deficit became an obsession in counting calories.... fixed that one by being a 4:3 convert.
  • MrsElguapo
    MrsElguapo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing for myself too, partcularly when I first started. Then I seemed to have a lull/plateau and now I am back on track yet once again seeming obsessed. I can't decide if it is good or bad. Good being on track but the obsession is not good. There has to be a happy medium. I haven't found it yet. I am trying to set a good example for my daughter by working out and being fit and healthy but I don't want her to think that obsession about it is healthy.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think that like anything new and exciting, it's all encompassing. Researching, logging, checking, rechecking, logging again, working out, so on and so forth, I was on here SO much.

But once things start becoming more familiar, it becomes more of a routine and you're not putting as much mental effort into things.

As with ANYTHING, taken to an extreme and becoming a true obsession is dangerous and obviously leads to things like eating disorders, etc. But taking a healthy interest and concern in your fitness and well-being is a good thing.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    OCD?

Nah, it's probably both. It's a new thing so it's exciting. At least it's a healthy hobby/obsession :smile:
  • nisia915
    nisia915 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is a good habit for me to make because I need to keep aware of what I eat and keep myself motivated to stay o track. Now when I get to consistently checking food calories and overreacting to not meeting my daily goal then I will worry. There is a line between healthy habit and unhealthy obsession. We must find our happy medium!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think it starts getting into unhealthy obsession territory when it starts screwing up other areas of your life (job, relationship, friendships, etc.). If your life is basically in order and you're just really into fitness, I don't think that's a problem.
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Obsession. it is not unhealthy, in fact because of my new obsession I have never been healthier. I love working out so much that It makes me upset when I have to take a day off that is not a scheduled rest day. I love the feeling I get when I am in the gym and I love the results even more, so much that I am thinking about training for a fitness show.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think it is both.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Habit and since breaking my toe, obsession! :bigsmile:
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find the fascination eventually wears off. :smile: I really like the redesign of the Fitbit dashboard, very cheery and cute.
  • thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    obsession is what lazy people call dedication
This discussion has been closed.