Dr. Jason Fung on Why Diets Fail in the long run

Options

Replies

• Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    As I keep saying, in every one of 'these' threads.... I think someone has 'come to Jesus' in the nutritional / diet world... and is relying on Google a bit too much for info. And then, as new 'converts' like to do... he / she is trying to get more conversions to all these new revelations. Unfortunately, someone is fishing in the wrong pond.
    Yep and catching these fish:
    aintnodamnwayimgoingintherewadefishing.jpg
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I knew if you looked hard you and buddy could find another one!
    leave-britney-alone.gif
    Leave buddy alone.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Funny thing is Minnie has disappeared with all these types of posts at the same time as Lichent and buddy have appeared. Hmmmm......
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Leave buddy alone.

Sybil.... Can I speak to Buddy now?

0904s01.jpg
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options

There is not study yet that supports a calorie deficient diet works in the long run,

So, poor English aside... you are saying that eating at a caloric deficit will not cause me to lose weight? What am I gonna do now?

37875878.jpg

A calorie deficit is working for me - I am losing 2 pounds a week by this method.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    he has a hotmail account.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lifestyle change calories in calories out in the long run does not work cuz the body does not work that way, the body is not about scales calories in calories out, it is a thermostat, you reduce the calories the body reacts, it slows the whole process down so to inhibit weight loss, that is why people come on this forum complaining they are cold, the body stops producing as much heat moreso he produces a number of studies with the control group and the particpants and follow them for several years.

What does work is intermittent fasting it doesn't cause the body to change its rate.
    Worthwhile educational video in six parts my buddy and I have watched all six.
    This guy knows his stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0

so you are saying I can eat 5000 calories a day and I will not gain??/

troll alert....
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    hey we believe in knowing the truth, if eating every day at a caloric deficiit means the body adjusts and turns down the thermostat to keep weight from dropping then we eat at another 500 caloric deficit and the body turns down the heat to conserve energy again, it is a cycle that one can't win. If we ate at 3800 calories and drop to 3000 then the body adusts so we now eat at 2200 and the body adjusts now we are down to 1500 and the body adjust and then at 1000 calories then 800 calories the moment we start eating again let us say from 800 to 1000 that is when we will start to put on wieght so that is how caloric deficit fail.

Now going into eating well 5 times a week with two fast days the body doesn't respond. So one weight gets lost two it makes it easy to keep weight off.

Dr. Jason Fun on the Diets Adkins high fat diets better than the heart foundations diet.
    TRIAL BY DIET
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbnshVO4PRM

please stop ... there are various real life examples (think large scale crop failures in Africa, or victims in prison camps) that show bodies don't just adjust to a 1000 or 800cal or below diet.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Oh, noze, I'm doomed!!!!! :sad:
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    me too. Also, I think my scale is lying to me. Last year it told me I lost 50 lbs eating at a deficit, then I stopped and the stupid thing said I gained 20 lbs! NOW it's really going crazy, saying I've lost 37 since I went back to eating at a daily deficit, back in July. I gotta get that thing fixed.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    me too. Also, I think my scale is lying to me. Last year it told me I lost 50 lbs eating at a deficit, then I stopped and the stupid thing said I gained 20 lbs! NOW it's really going crazy, saying I've lost 37 since I went back to eating at a daily deficit, back in July. I gotta get that thing fixed.
    Me too! My scale was saying for an entire year that I lost 2lbs a week eating at a deficit of 1,000 cals a day. Now I'm eating at a deficit of 500 cals a day and it's telling me I'm losing abut 1 lb a week. How can this be? Maybe everyone's scale is broken. Perhaps we can start a class action suit against the company for making such shoddy products... misleading us and getting our hopes up and all. :sad:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting information, and yet people still manage to gain or lose significant amounts of weight without a return to their previous weight. We're still not seeing the whole picture here.

I believe that environmental factors need to be considered as well as one's own microbiome before we can say with any certainty why X works but Z doesn't work.
  • Cindyinpg
    Options
    This is very interesting information, and yet people still manage to gain or lose significant amounts of weight without a return to their previous weight. We're still not seeing the whole picture here.

I believe that environmental factors need to be considered as well as one's own microbiome before we can say with any certainty why X works but Z doesn't work.
    In all seriousness, we all know that calorie deficit works. So doesn't it really just come down to each individual tailoring their own healthy, sustainable program of calorie reduction? Topics like this might be interesting, but I think they are muddying the water unnecessarily and confusing people who are just starting out.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness, we all know that calorie deficit works. So doesn't it really just come down to each individual tailoring their own healthy, sustainable program of calorie reduction? Topics like this might be interesting, but I think they are muddying the water unnecessarily and confusing people who are just starting out.
    Truth.

There is the biology half of the equation, which can be simple or complicated depending on your personal health, background, condition, etc. One part is always constant though - a caloric deficit *requires* that the body lose weight. That's the definition of deficit. You need more fuel than you eat. When you create that condition, your body simply must pull from its stores. Fat and/or LBM depending on a lot of factors, but the extra fuel has to come from somewhere. Ensure that your nutritional needs are met - based on macros and vitamin/mineral intake - and your diet will be healthy.

Then there is the psychological half of the equation, which can also be simple or complicated. This is where you need to figure out in what way you can apply the biological facts to your individual abilities and desires. Pick a method that you will be able to stick to and you will lose weight.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    lifestyle change calories in calories out in the long run does not work cuz the body does not work that way, the body is not about scales calories in calories out, it is a thermostat, you reduce the calories the body reacts, it slows the whole process down so to inhibit weight loss, that is why people come on this forum complaining they are cold, the body stops producing as much heat moreso he produces a number of studies with the control group and the particpants and follow them for several years.

What does work is intermittent fasting it doesn't cause the body to change its rate.
    Worthwhile educational video in six parts my buddy and I have watched all six.
    This guy knows his stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0

so you are saying I can eat 5000 calories a day and I will not gain??/

troll alert....

No way will i do intermitent fasting.. thats the diet mentality. and it wont work for me. no thank you i will stick to my current 2 pounds a week weight loss thing im doing now.

Please tell me i do not have to do intermittent fasting down the road.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    OK, let's tackle the "will always fail" part. The body maintains a temperature of 36.8 degrees Celsius, adaptive thermogenesis lowers that target temperature, by going on a diet for a long time the human body will maintain the same temperature as the outside world purely by heat transfer (i.e. the body uses the skin like the thermal compound on a CPU), therefore dieting can reduce the human body temperature to 0 degrees (dieting + snowy day = death). No matter how long you have been on a diet, you won't excrete frozen urine.

Either you are twisting the dermatologist's words, he doesn't know what he is talking about, or he is deliberately spreading misinformation.

Diets don't fail because of anything to do with biological functions. If they fail, it is invariably due to psychology. Personally, intermittent fasting causes me to be in an overall calorie surplus due to extreme hunger, so it is erroneous to suggest that it works any more than diets works. Calorie balance is the only thing that matters, followed by macros and exercise, followed by size of deficit. Since no-one has the exact same brain (including those devoid of critical thinking who prefer pluralistic ignorance) losing weight, I believe, boils down to this: "how can I maintain a calorie deficit that works with my mind?" Most people who successfully keep weight off not only modify the food that goes in and the energy expended through non-exercise activity and exercise activity to reach equilibrium, but they also make modifications to their thought patterns.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    'Doctor' Jung?? The new 'diet' messiah!! Another load of crap like Atkins and Dukan.

So a calorie deficit doesn't work? That'll be why I am only imagining that I have lost 45lbs using calorie deficit.

Just another 'DON'T EAT THESE HORRIBLE CARBS' guru who spouts a few miniscule truths encased in a load of total rubbish.

OF COURSE people regain weight when they stop one of these 'diets' if they go right back to eating the way they did before.

Losing weight and keeping it off is about completely changing your mindset .

Eat less but eat sensibly - move more ...this is what WORKS no matter how many gurus tell you otherwise.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I miss buddy.

71390_340.jpg
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE it if a form of IF worked for me. Sadly it doesn't. Low carb does work (for me, not saying it's for everyone). The only reason I ever fail at dieting is that I always forget how crappy, bloated, itchy-rashy and starving I feel when I pig out on carbs. I think I might be gluten intolerant. It runs in my family. Regardless, I have no problems on low carb and lots of problems when I go off it. But if intermittent fasting works for you, fantastic, do it! Same with just counting calories, or certain forms of exercise, or hanging upside down like a bat once a week in a small cave. Whatever works, do it. But not everything works for everyone, ever.