Just not losing

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm not dropping to 1200 - I'd fall over if I ate that little.

Strangely I've lost at this weight/calorie deficit before, eating very similar food. I am probably doing more exercise now though and it's baffling why I'm getting worse results.

I appreciate all the feedback. Like I said, I'm not in a hurry, I'm happy to lose slowly. I think I'll cut back to my weekday totals for one day of the weekend and give it another couple of weeks.

To people who clearly hadn't looked at my diary, I'm not sure why you'd bother commenting. ;)

Good luck! I hope the small change is the trick. Definitely do not drop to 1200. :-)
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Check your BMR. Your eating too much to lose. You need to run a sizable deficit. Also make sure your watching carbs -- sugar is the hidden problem child.

I would drop from 1500 to 1200-1300.

Also water..lots of it.

Just no. You don't take a deficit from your BMR and a 32 year old woman of her height should not be eating 1200 calories.
    you can most certainly take a deficit from your BMR, especially if you are inactive. I don't know why some people use BMR as the minimum number of calories that a person should eat. That's just not what it means.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Check your BMR. Your eating too much to lose. You need to run a sizable deficit. Also make sure your watching carbs -- sugar is the hidden problem child.

Also water..lots of it.

Just no. You don't take a deficit from your BMR and a 32 year old woman of her height should not be eating 1200 calories.
    you can most certainly take a deficit from your BMR, especially if you are inactive. I don't know why some people use BMR as the minimum number of calories that a person should eat. That's just not what it means.

Should a person eat less than what it takes to keep them alive? If that's not what BMR is, then I must have a misunderstanding of it.
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well I've recalculated my TDEE and it's still coming out at just over 2000cals a day. And like I say I tend to go for the less active options and then add a moderate amount of exercise cals on top.
    I don't think I've got any metabolic issues or thyroid. I'm in all round very good health. Maybe, one day I'll have to accept that this is just how much weigh. *sigh* :)
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Also water..lots of it.

Should a person eat less than what it takes to keep them alive? If that's not what BMR is, then I must have a misunderstanding of it.
    BMR is not the amount of *food* it takes to keep them alive. it's the number of *calories* your body burns in a day at rest. Your body gets calories from places other than food. Fat is a great example.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Also water..lots of it.

BMR is not the amount of *food* it takes to keep them alive. it's the number of *calories* your body burns in a day at rest. Your body gets calories from places other than food. Fat is a great example.

Hmm...I admit I've never thought of it that way. I get that there's no such thing as starvation mode, but the general thought on here is that eating less than BMR is not healthy. I'll have to think on this one...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    your body not burn calories if eat too much. instead eat one meal. turns out its fact idiot

Um, what? That's horrible advice. Also, don't drop your calories like the other poster said. Seriously, where is all of this stuff coming from?

OP, when was the last time you went over your TDEE estimates? You're supposed to update it after every 5 lbs lost. Have you done that recently? It may have changed. Your exercise may be different from the last time you calculated, or your weight, or your age (lol, if you had a birthday in between, I mean, haha).

Ignore him. He's a professional troll.

Nice. I like how he ends his sentence with Idiot. Not. Thanks for the heads up, lol. :) Sorry this derailed your thread a little, OP.

Okay, so you've redone your calculations. I think, if it were me, as a previous poster suggested, stop eating up to your TDEE on the weekends. Instead, take a cut from it... probably like 10% (or maybe even 15%, not sure how that would work for you). So if your TDEE is 2000, minus 10%, you'd be at 1800 calories. I would try that, if it were me. Just a suggestion :) Hope you find the answer to your troubles!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Also water..lots of it.

^ right here. If you're going to start eating 1200 cals I would suggest doing it under the supervision of a GP so you don't do any damage, just in case, We are here to get healthy after all

She said she's not going to drop to 1200 cals.
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    Do less cardio and more glute specialization work to maximize hormonal output. Second try intermittent fasting. It is scientific and works.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Forget losing pounds for a second... are you tracking your progress in other ways? Measurements, how clothes fit, progress photos?

Because you can entirely change your body without dropping one ounce. You might want to do more strength training than 30 Day Shred, though. It's an ok place to start if you're new to exercise, but it might not be enough of a challenge if you're in decent shape.

lift_zps18787f0c.jpg
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Have you tried http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ? Be honest with you activity level I would say 3-5 hours moderate to 5-6 strenuous. Your BMR is right around 1450 right? Considering you aren't inactive I would net ABOVE that. Maybe increase your NET by 100 and see what happens.

A lot of people figure their numbers and eat TDEE- 10% or 15% or 20% and just log exercise at 1 calorie burned.

I use TDEE -20% and I DO log my exercise just to make sure I am not netting SUPER low. I try to eat between 1700-1900 a day. If I have a huge burn then I eat a bit more.

You are doing so great though, measuring everything, logging diligently and staying active great job! Be proud of that :smile:

1200 calorie is definitely NOT the answer.
  • LilBritGettinFit
    LilBritGettinFit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Forget losing pounds for a second... are you tracking your progress in other ways? Measurements, how clothes fit, progress photos?

^^^ and this! With P90X I lose 5 WHOLE pounds but 18". Huge progress, the scale is evil.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    How do you track your exercise? Is it through MFP estimations or HRM estimations? Either way, you're eating almost all, if not all somedays, of your exercise calories back on your weekdays.

Along with that you are over by 700-800 calories three days in a row over the weekend just gone, which is killing your weekly deficit.

I have never had results eating back all of my exercise calories, I eat 50% or more if I'm hungry. Try doing this as you could be over estimating calorie burns, nothing that tracks your calories is 100% accurate.
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Like I said before, I do think I look slimmer, but I couldn't do measurements as the only tape measure I could find was only 15cms long - not much use!

I can't do intermittent fasting - I just wouldn't get through my active daily life on 500 cals. I have to safely cycle to and from work and walk the kids home from their childminder. I 'd be far too wobbly on a fast day!

I like the idea of more strength training as it feels like it's making the biggest difference. I was going to start Ripped in 30 next week and once that's done I'll look into some more challenging stuff.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

I google troll. im not troll. If u think im a joke, or not real, imagine Im euro style. Turns out its a fact idiot,
    im croatia, now at north america. So my tastes, info, and thoughts have backing. Enjoy life my man.

Redundant much?

I've seen the above sentence how many times on different threads? That and his dad biochemist. Yeah, yeah, we get it...And by the way...the word "idiot" in the English language is not a term of endearment, or a compliment, just so we're clear.

OP, Been there, done that. In my case, when I figured my TDEE, I was SERIOUSLY overestimating my activity levels during my work day, thinking I was moving around the building more than I actually was, and once I re-configured what I should be eating each day, things started moving in the right direction again. Not saying that is the case with you, but I thought I'd throw that out there. :smile:
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    Also it is not just about calories but the quality of your finis choices proper meal combinations for your genetic makeup and good fat burning foods tonic and supplements. I agree with the last post instead of lowering your calories you must increase your body sculpting using Exercises specific for the strongest muscles in our bodies the glutes exercises just as the classic hip thrust
  • Knsclptr30
    Options
    Quality of food choices I meant
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Because you can entirely change your body without dropping one ounce. You might want to do more strength training than 30 Day Shred, though. It's an ok place to start if you're new to exercise, but it might not be enough of a challenge if you're in decent shape.

lift_zps18787f0c.jpg

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! Yes, those of us that are trying to lose 10 or so "vanity pounds" probably shouldn't try losing weight, myself included in this. We should probably focus more on weight lifting to change our body composition.