11 Reasons You’re Failing To Lose Fat

Options
http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Found this interesting article. Gotta say, I agree.

Summary: 99% of the time, when people say they can't lose weight it's simply because they are eating too much and no longer in a calorie deficit. Nothing else. No starvation mode, no thyroid problems,no hormonal imbalances. Just too many calories.

A lot of the time I see people around here making things way too complicated. Quit giving yourselves ulcers from stress, people! :laugh:

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    That was pretty funny.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I. Love. This. Thank you!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    agreed.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hahahahahaha that's amazing. I think I get it, now... :tongue:
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Excellent! :drinker:
  • likeaslidingrock
    Options
    I've been eating around 900 calories (sometimes less) for almost a month, I've done 40 minutes (sometimes up to an hour) of stationary bike every morning before breakfast and in the last week I've done 4 days of the 30 day shred.
    I'm also 40 kg overweight.
    Haven't lost a pound. So, I guess I'm still eating too much. Will 800 calories do it?
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Agreed.
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 900 calories (sometimes less) for almost a month, I've done 40 minutes (sometimes up to an hour) of stationary bike every morning before breakfast and in the last week I've done 4 days of the 30 day shred.
    Haven't lost a pound. So, I guess I'm still eating too much. Will 800 calories do it?

Actually, you aren't eating enough...
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Why are you torturing yourself?
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

Eat more.

Find a TDEE calculator, plug in your numbers, and eat whatever it tells you to.
  • onefitsurvivor
    onefitsurvivor Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you are accurately logging your calories (measuring your portions, etc) and accurately logging your exercise (from a HRM), and still not losing, I would consult with a physician.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Actually, you aren't eating enough...

read the article...underestimating portions. Not sure you could do all that exercise on 900 calories....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

ETA: OP great post...
  • sway1080
    sway1080 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

I'm pretty new to all of this still but i've lost 10lbs in exactly 5 weeks to the day. (2 lbs a week) and my net is usually anywhere between 1100-1300 depending on the day, work out etc. It does sound like maybe you should take in a bit more calories possibly.
  • VixenInTraining
    Options
    can everyone just please put this scottwurley on ignore before he ruins my thread? he just keeps spamming everywhere thanks. I think this is an interesting discussion and don't want my thread hijacked.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

Found this interesting article. Gotta say, I agree.

Summary: 99% of the time, when people say they can't lose weight it's simply because they are eating too much and no longer in a calorie deficit. Nothing else. No starvation mode, no thyroid problems,no hormonal imbalances. Just too many calories.

A lot of the time I see people around here making things way too complicated. Quit giving yourselves ulcers from stress, people! :laugh:

Some people just have to have an excuse as to why it's not their fault. Losing weight is simple. It's not easy, but it's simple.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    can everyone just please put this scottwurley on ignore before he ruins my thread? he just keeps spamming everywhere thanks. I think this is an interesting discussion and don't want my thread hijacked.

did that 3 threads ago.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    This is an oversimplification of a such a complex issue. Let's just say that the article is correct and all you need to do for fat loss is reduce calories, nothing more.

How does one know with any accuracy how many calories their body uses a day? There is only one way to know what your metabolic rate is, and even the RMR test isn't very accurate.

If someone is unable to shed pounds, yet is accurately tracking calories and is eating at a deficit every day, I recommend that person get a RMR test done. They may just have a very efficient metabolism and need to eat a lot less than would be considered the norm for their age and gender.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

And that's the problem with stupid articles like the one above.. You get people like this who then think they need to eat less when in fact they are not eating ENOUGH. So yes sometimes people are eating too much . Sometimes there actually ARE other reasons.

Getting into a mindset that you have to eat less and less every time you stall is dangerous and unproductive. Sure you will lose weight by eating nothing, you will also mess up your body, cause yourself added stress, lose your hair and all manner of other fun things not to mention probably gain back all the weight you lost within a year and likely more but hey.. whatever floats your boat.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    to read later.