Love this!!!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Loved this!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Logic dictates that if a person is accurately tracking/logging and at a "deficit" but not losing then they aren't at a deficit. No calculator online is going to give the exact right number and most people will need to tweak up or down to make it fit, but that doesn't change that the answer is "reduce intake."

I did my TDEE and the number to lose a pound a week had be losing more, so I adjusted up. That part was even simpler than the "eat less." Part.

So by your logic you would tell people to eat less than 800 calories because they aren't losing weight and yet they are at a deficit.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Okay, but I actually do have thyroid problems that hinder my weight loss from time to time. I'm down 129lbs, but it's taking a longer time for me to get to where I want to be then it would for someone without thyroid or metabolic issues.
  • easto_79
    easto_79 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I loved this article, I need one titled "You are losing"
    I often give myself a hard time for losing too slow, I can't be happy with 1 to 2 pounds a week, I've given myself the insane goal of 10 pounds a month till Chrismas, which is a lot of weight started in July, I've done really well so far, yet reading that article I think, I'm one of those crazy people that say I'm not losing. When this time I really am.

Ok head on straight keep doing what I'm doing which is reduce my calorie intake!! and I'll keep on losing weight.

Thanks!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Logic dictates that if a person is accurately tracking/logging and at a "deficit" but not losing then they aren't at a deficit. No calculator online is going to give the exact right number and most people will need to tweak up or down to make it fit, but that doesn't change that the answer is "reduce intake."

I did my TDEE and the number to lose a pound a week had be losing more, so I adjusted up. That part was even simpler than the "eat less." Part.

So by your logic you would tell people to eat less than 800 calories because they aren't losing weight and yet they are at a deficit.

I'd say it's very unlikely they're at a deficit or they need to visit a doctor because that's an indicator that something is very very wrong. But probably the former.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I'd say it's very unlikely they're at a deficit or they need to visit a doctor because that's an indicator that something is very very wrong. But probably the former.

I agree. Sometimes, it's about counting properly, but the source of information is faulty. There was a study that said that typically chain restaurants that post nutritional data are off an average of 30% from the actual calories. You also see a lot of labeling that says "about 2 servings" when it's actually 2.3 servings.
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    I hate to admit this, but I loved this article. Oversimplified? Sure. But good, nonetheless. I'm struggling with losing my last bit of weight right now and I know it's the fact that I'm consuming too many calories. I know it. I've lost almost 60 pounds by eating a lot less than I am now. I am by no means underweight, sickly, or weak.. So, I agree, no such thing as starvation mode. It wasn't easy to lose, so I completely understand the struggle. By the way, I am Hypothyroid as well. It can be done. Not easy, but certainly possible. Best wishes to all of you with your weight loss. You CAN do this. :flowerforyou:
  • malliexo
    malliexo Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 900 calories (sometimes less) for almost a month, I've done 40 minutes (sometimes up to an hour) of stationary bike every morning before breakfast and in the last week I've done 4 days of the 30 day shred.
    I'm also 40 kg overweight.
    Haven't lost a pound. So, I guess I'm still eating too much. Will 800 calories do it?

You're probably not burning as many calories as you think. I would invest in a heart rate monitor. I have this one and love it: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitor-Purple/dp/B005M1P85O/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380649726&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=polar+heart+rate+monitor+ft60+pink

You also need more cardio intensive workouts. I did Pilates Plus (which is like Pilates with weights) for 6 months and didn't lose a pound. The moment I started to do plain old cardio, I lost weight. Why? Even though I was burning calories in Pilates, I wasn't burning nearly the amount I thought I was.

Check out my website: www.everydayfitnessgirl.com
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Cute, and amusing. Unless of course you are one of the people who actually does have a condition such a hypothyroidism or PCOS. I can imagine it's not so funny then.
    EXACTLY.
    And many of our community members do.

I have to second (third?) this statement. As a woman with PCOS I can tell you that it's very frustrating to be told - "Just eat less" all the time. I am eating less and I am losing weight - just much more slowly than I would like.

"PCOS makes it more difficult for the body to use the hormone insulin, which normally helps convert sugars and starches from foods into energy. This condition -- called insulin resistance -- can cause insulin and sugar -- glucose -- to build up in the bloodstream.

High insulin levels increase the production of male hormones called androgens. High androgen levels lead to symptoms such as body hair growth, acne, irregular periods -- and weight gain. Because the weight gain is triggered by male hormones, it is typically in the abdomen. That is where men tend to carry weight. So, instead of having a pear shape, women with PCOS have more of an apple shape." From WebMD.

Even this is a major simplification but the basic fact is that women with PCOS are stuck in a vicious cycle - PCOS makes you gain weight and the weight gain makes the PCOS worse.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Cute, and amusing. Unless of course you are one of the people who actually does have a condition such a hypothyroidism or PCOS. I can imagine it's not so funny then.
    EXACTLY.
    Agreed. Funny how so many of the calories in/calories out people are male (i.e. no PCOS). Don't think I am a male basher- I love my hubby, but damn he drove me nuts about this for a long time. My husband would tell me the same thing, he is eating the same things I am(only more!), he is working out with me too, and he is losing- I must be sneaking food in somewhere, yadayadayada. Then he started paying attention to my food choices and realized I did have a harder time and he stopped making comments like that, now it's "must suck to be you". No, he doesn't say that, but he is more understanding and supportive. If I don't steer clear of most carbs I can have a "perfect" diet and still stall or even gain. It's called insulin resistance folks and there are a lot of people (male and female) with prediabetes that are trying to find help and then they get the it's just your calories, look at me, it worked for me, you are doing something wrong attitude.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Great article it really got the trolls biting at your thread too!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 900 calories (sometimes less) for almost a month,

Oh yeah?

Open your diary.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    As a woman with PCOS I can tell you that it's very frustrating to be told - "Just eat less" all the time. I am eating less and I am losing weight

Ummm....is that not what the article says?
  • laurakateTTG
    laurakateTTG Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Super post and link which led me through lots of other links, all inspiring. Thanks so much!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Great article it really got the trolls biting at your thread too!

Mods must have been through here since this post to delete these troll posts...

...because I just read through the entire thread and don't remember seeing any.

Or are you one of those "difference of opinion = trolls" people?
  • likeaslidingrock
    Options

Oh yeah?

Open your diary.

We have a mr skeptic. It's open now, but I didn't record the whole month and I use another website to count calories (mostly because english is not my native language and I'm not going to pick up the dictionary everytime I log in food here). So, you won't find the specific food I ate.

At the beginning of 2013 and for about 3/4 months, I was on 1200 calories a day, I was doing 40 minutes of stationary bike, as I do now, and I was losing around 1 kg per week. When I started the 30 day shred (4-5 days a week) I lost around 6-7 kg in a month.
    I then regained some weight (3-4 kg). Now, as I said previously, I'm eating around 900 (even without couting the calories, I know I'm eating much less) and doing pretty much the same workout. The only difference between now and then, is that now I weight 10-15 kg less, that my fitness level is better and that I'm often skipping breakfast (since I have dinner at 18, basically I'm fasting for over 15 hours, sometimes more).
    So, the explanation that I gave to myself is ..I must be in starvation mode, maybe it's the fasting, maybe it's because I'm eating too little, maybe my metabolism is all over the place. I don't think I have any medical condition.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY.

I have to second (third?) this statement. As a woman with PCOS I can tell you that it's very frustrating to be told - "Just eat less" all the time. I am eating less and I am losing weight - just much more slowly than I would like.

"PCOS makes it more difficult for the body to use the hormone insulin, which normally helps convert sugars and starches from foods into energy. This condition -- called insulin resistance -- can cause insulin and sugar -- glucose -- to build up in the bloodstream.

High insulin levels increase the production of male hormones called androgens. High androgen levels lead to symptoms such as body hair growth, acne, irregular periods -- and weight gain. Because the weight gain is triggered by male hormones, it is typically in the abdomen. That is where men tend to carry weight. So, instead of having a pear shape, women with PCOS have more of an apple shape." From WebMD.

Even this is a major simplification but the basic fact is that women with PCOS are stuck in a vicious cycle - PCOS makes you gain weight and the weight gain makes the PCOS worse.

I have PCOS and the answer is still to eat less than you burn and be patient.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Oh yeah?

Open your diary.

We have a mr skeptic. It's open now, but I didn't record the whole month and I use another website to count calories (mostly because english is not my native language and I'm not going to pick up the dictionary everytime I log in food here). So, you won't find the specific food I ate.

It is not open.

Perhaps you can link us to the diary on the other site?

Frankly, it's virtually impossible to believe you have averaged 900 calories for a month with no weight loss, unless you are 4' tall, 50 lbs, and in a coma.

I suspect you are doing something very wrong in terms of logging food, and I would like to - for your benefit as well as ours - peruse your diary in an attempt to identify where you're messing up.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    As a woman with PCOS I can tell you that it's very frustrating to be told - "Just eat less" all the time. I am eating less and I am losing weight

Ummm....is that not what the article says?
    you forgot the next part: " just much more slowly than I would like. "
    I am in the same boat, sometimes it is at a snail's pace and do overestimate my calories eaten or calories burned. In fact I tend to overestimate both. Like when I work outside with my husband cutting wood, stacking it, building onto the house, chasing after a stray calf, etc, etc- I will put in just a couple hours, but actually I spent 6-8 hours doing it. I do this because there will be times I am just standing around, but certainly not 4-6 hours of inactivity. I use the calorielab calculations to guesstimate but I am thinking about a HRM. There is a fine line b/t using hormonal imbalances as an excuse to actually being at your wit's end b/c you are doing the right things and stuff just isn't happening and making a point about it. That is why some folks, like me, are a bit touchy (we're hormonal-haha).

That said, I totally get the author's sarcastic humor. I love it when someone is snacking away on FAT FREE! candy loaded w/ sugar and moaning about not being able to lose weight! or putting in a plate of food at a buffet when they really had four, or just outright lying about the buffet.