Friends needed... diet and no *kitten* starting TODAY!!

Options

Replies

• mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I gave up coffee except for one cup a day and started dieting the same day..... It was a tough week, but I made it past the headaches. I know it will be much more difficult to quit smoking, but I know you can do it!
  • hamminit
    hamminit Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    don't do the e-cig thing!!!! - they are not safe ( for others yes, for the smoker - NO) they still have the nicotine in them which speeds up your heart and hardens your arteries!!!!

they are not safe and should carry warnings just like reg cigs-

cold turkey is the way to go (at least it was for me)

sorry for my small rant :flowerforyou:
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The *kitten* are rooting for you.
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My hubby had to quit cold turkey. He had to stop going places and people that reminded him of smoking, like our swing in the backyard that is now completely neglected. As for people, he only hangs out with his smoking friends at non-smoking venues. He eats carrots (not sure why this helps him, but it does). Clean all your clothes so they don't smell like smoke or remind you of smoking. You know, it's the little triggers that can get their hooks in you. Definitely find a hand intensive hobby, in hubby's case he took up the electric guitar. I know some people do that while playing, but you need both hands on the guitar to learn it. Hope any of this helps, and good luck!
  • pennyscabin
    pennyscabin Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All I can say is..."You have really made a decision to improve your quality of life. HOORAY FOR YOU!!!"
  • piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was about to be one of those commentators. Relieved to find out what they meant.
  • roshanneannan
    Options
    Hi there

I was a heavy smoker for over 10 years and I quit 2 years ago.
    The biggest bit of advice i can give you is to use cardio exercise to help reduce your cravings and stress levels. eg brisk walking, running, biking etc.
    Its I huge change in your life stopping smoking so take one step at a time.
    Avoid any fad diets and just focus on eating well.
    I used nicotine patches in the daytime for 2 months and it really helped and have not had one cigarette since so you can do it!

Good luck!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I tried to quit cold turkey once and it was terrible! I wasn't prepared and craved them all the time. They say it's just a fidgety thing and that people just want something in their mouth to play with, but I think that's bollocks.

I even tried a faith-based camp that promised to help me change my lifestyle, but nothing seems to work. I just hunger desperately for a *kitten*, all the time.
  • JillianMarieSoto
    JillianMarieSoto Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I wish you the best in your journey to better health. I have recently begun counting calories, training for a 5k and quit smoking. I read the book Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking: The Easyway To Stop Smoking and its been 3 and a half weeks since my last smoke. After 10+ years of smoking, I feel better than ever and know you will too once you break the addiction. I really recommend giving the book a read. You're more than capable, you've got this!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I tried to quit cold turkey once and it was terrible! I wasn't prepared and craved them all the time. They say it's just a fidgety thing and that people just want something in their mouth to play with, but I think that's bollocks.

I even tried a faith-based camp that promised to help me change my lifestyle, but nothing seems to work. I just hunger desperately for a *kitten*, all the time.

:laugh:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    This goes swimmingly with the rest of the topics in my feed today....
    Swimmingly! Love that word.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A life without *kitten* is a life not worth living....oh, you meant cigarettes.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I was gonna *kitten* hag all over the place here... But then I see you are quitting the nasty death habit of smoking. Good on ya!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yeah, didn't think the title out too well. Did you? :happy:
    It's all about changing your lifestyle for good not just a 'diet'
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Yeah, it took a couple of seconds to process the title. Then I realized, "Ah, English". Lol
  • mrsmillsee
    Options
    Good luck with it. I read "the book" before quitting smoking and its been 8 years now. Just focus on exercise when you feel the urge and drink plenty of water. You'll do great I'm sure. And just remember, the people who tell you that giving up is hard because of the cravings etc., are the manufacturers who want you to continue. After 3 days you'll be rid of the nicotine and then you're done!
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A life without *kitten* is a life not worth living....oh, you meant cigarettes.

I love you Sara... :)