11 Reasons You’re Failing To Lose Fat

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You people are exactly as I remember you months ago. So cute.

Thanks for the article... exactly my experience. Me, my hypothyroid and my Mirena IUD... still lost weight being meticulous about measuring and counting calories, and simply exercising more.

I went on maintenance during the summer, had a blast dating new people who probably would have never taken a second look at me when I was 70 lbs heavier, and back again to get to goal weight.

**wave**

Amazing work! :flowerforyou: Sounds like a lovely summer.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    measuring tip: I use metric, and the grams listed for a serving size. What the grams equal to is what I put down in MFP.

It worked for me!
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    What a silly thing to write. Surely if your using My Fitness it tells you when you complete your diary that your consuming to few calories. By eating such a minimal amount your actually putting your body into starvation mode which is why your probably putting on weight. Before you start dieting maybe you should do research rather than asking silly questions. Faddy diets don't help all you need to acheive the best results is a well balanced nutrional and exercise plan.

you don't put on weight by eating too little, it is against the laws of physics.

Although I believe in the laws of thermodynamics, there are issues that can occur from a sustained diet that is too low in calories and fat. But these usually don't occur until most body fat is already gone. I *think* thyroid issues can arise from such extreme diets but it won't change the fact that a lower calorie intake will cause weight loss, it is an indication that blood work should probably be done.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    measuring tip: I use metric, and the grams listed for a serving size. What the grams equal to is what I put down in MFP.

It worked for me!

this, turns out what I estimated to be 1/2 cup of green beans turned out to be 120g, it's not the end of the world with beans, but nuts and cheese it could be the world of difference.

Since I have been on MFP my calories have actually gone up ... I am eating the same things, but now I am so much more exact thus what was around 1100 turned out to be more like 1350.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Love it. ^_^ This is why I overestimate my calories and use measuring cups and spoons, just in case.
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Amazing work! :flowerforyou: Sounds like a lovely summer.

Thank you. :) I had some ups and downs in other ways, but at least it wasn't my weight.
    this, turns out what I estimated to be 1/2 cup of green beans turned out to be 120g, it's not the end of the world with beans, but nuts and cheese it could be the world of difference.

Yup. I don't use a measuring cup for anything but liquids, which can be better estimated by volume. If it is possible to measure it by weight, I will do it. It does work, but it takes a whole lot of discipline!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    it's every day the same thing ...

to the people not losing weight on 1000 cal or less ... please please please look up the various starvation experiments, the crop failures, the camps, these people took in under 1000 calories a day and stayed active (either through exercise or because they would die otherwise), they ALL lost weight. Yes at different rates, yes not all the same weight, but none of them failed to lose ANY weight.

If you think you are taking in under 1000 calories and have done for months, and you work out every day (not lay in bed all day)and you are feeling fine and healthy (i.e you are not sickly with constant colds) and you are not losing weight or perhaps even gain weight, you are not taking in under 1000 calories. Quite a few of these posts are actually 'net' calories, which leaves to reason that they overestimate their burns and thus actually 'netting' more then they think.

I really need to stay away from the forums ...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In for the calolories

Hey, you spelled that wr...

...wait a minute...

...I see what you did there.

:laugh:
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 900 calories (sometimes less) for almost a month, I've done 40 minutes (sometimes up to an hour) of stationary bike every morning before breakfast and in the last week I've done 4 days of the 30 day shred.
    I'm also 40 kg overweight.
    Haven't lost a pound. So, I guess I'm still eating too much. Will 800 calories do it?

Actually, you aren't eating enough...

That is true. I was just wondering. If starvation mode doesn't exist, then what's my f* problem!

edit: my plan was to stay on 1000 calories for a week or ten days. I ended up eating even less, because of life (mostly because I skip breakfast).
    Since I wasn't losing weight I said: well, I'll do another week and it kept going...
    Anyway, just today I went back to 1200 calories. Let's see what happens.

You probably need to work on building some muscle--which you cannot do on a calorie-deficit, especially not such a large one. Why not try eating at maintenance for a few months and work at building some muscle by lifting weights? You will get newbie gains at first but it will help you to burn a lot more calories. Too much cardio can be self-defeating. Do cardio if you like it, but know that it is "catabolic" (that is, it works to break down lean body mass) and weight-lifting is "anabolic" (it builds up lean body mass). Building lean body mass is essential for permanent weight loss. Also, doing that much cardio and eating low fat can/will make you very sick. You must eat fat to burn fat--you need at least 45 grams of fat per day just to stay healthy. If you lower your carbs (cut out sugar and white flour), you will force your body to burn fat for energy.

ETA: I didn't see that the poster has been "depressed for 25 years". There are many antidepressants/antipsychotics which cause weight gain and it is difficult to lose it while being on the drug. I have a young friend who was given Seroquel (an anti-psychotic) for severe depression. She gained 100 pounds. Didn't help her depression.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • asreyes8022
    Options
    It is funny. I don't have a thyroid either after having Grave's Disease. Too many people go to their physicians hoping to be able to attribute their weight issues to a thyroid condition, when it is really just lifestyle changes that need to be made.
  • asreyes8022
    Options
    Seriously, if your thyroid was capable of laughter, it would be laughing at you for trying to use it as an excuse for eating and exercising like a dumbass.

Best part ^^

Could you please tell me how this is funny? Ever thought that some of us DO NOT even have thyroids anymore?

It is funny. I don't have a thyroid either after having Grave's Disease. Too many people go to their physicians hoping to be able to attribute their weight issues to a thyroid condition, when it is really just lifestyle changes that need to be made.
  • hellohappycarla
    hellohappycarla Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thank you for sharing this! =)
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if your thyroid was capable of laughter, it would be laughing at you for trying to use it as an excuse for eating and exercising like a dumbass.

Best part ^^

Could you please tell me how this is funny? Ever thought that some of us DO NOT even have thyroids anymore?

^^^^^ Love It!!!! ^^^^^

A Calorie Counter and its sister site A Workout Routine are some of the best sites on the subject of fat loss and muscle building. A lot of people will disagree with me but those same folks are probably the ones on here telling someone everyday to go get their thyroid checked or something equally ridiculous.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    There is always 'something' someone fails to mention when they say they aren't losing fat/weight.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 900 calories (sometimes less) for almost a month, I've done 40 minutes (sometimes up to an hour) of stationary bike every morning before breakfast and in the last week I've done 4 days of the 30 day shred.
    I'm also 40 kg overweight.
    Haven't lost a pound. So, I guess I'm still eating too much. Will 800 calories do it?

This is physiologically impossible to do, sorry, not buying it. But hopefully you will be able to reach your goals soon.
  • Yari5
    Yari5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You are eating too little. Fill up with fresh fruits and veggies. Raw and cooked! About a pound a day! Half and half. Yeap! That's what I said. About a pound a day. Try to minimize any animal product. That means no eggs.dairy, fats, or any sugars, breads or pasta. Way easier said than done. A bit of nuts, lots of grains included. If you can manage a pound a day you will never be hungry! But its hard as hell! You will not only be slim, but your overall health will improve, your hair and skin will be fabulous.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You are eating too little. Fill up with fresh fruits and veggies. Raw and cooked! About a pound a day! Half and half. Yeap! That's what I said. About a pound a day. Try to minimize any animal product. That means no eggs.dairy, fats, or any sugars, breads or pasta. Way easier said than done. A bit of nuts, lots of grains included. If you can manage a pound a day you will never be hungry! But its hard as hell! You will not only be slim, but your overall health will improve, your hair and skin will be fabulous.

What????? :noway:

So what you are saying is as long as it's fruits and veggies it doesn't matter how much you eat? And why should someone limit animal products?
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    "Be my guest. I would like to forewarn you that I don't ask questions about my intake (I actually picked a number then then lowered/raised it until I found a point that worked for me on a consistent basis) I don't overestimate my burns, and I lose weight/inches on a consistent basis. When I do ask for advice I don't argue with the people who give it to me, but rather I take it in the spirit it was given and don't imagine tones that I can't hear or motives that I can't prove. Even if I don't take the advice I appreciate what has been given and am grateful for every person who takes time out to answer my question. Most of the advice I've received here hasn't been 'nice' or 'kind' but it's been honest, to the point, and based not in someone's desire to make me happy/tell me what I want to hear, but to tell me what I need to hear.

it isn't the well meaning "OMG you guise are so meannn" people on MFP who helped me get on and then stay on track, it's the people who tell me the simple truth who have done so.

With that in mind if you think you have something to badger me about, go for it."

I'm glad to hear that you got it all figured out for yourself, the person in question obviously didn't and someone who has severe enough agoraphobia to not leave their house for what was it 4 years? has bigger fish to fry than diet and lack of weight loss, which was what I was pointing out. I could care less about picking on you for your choices. I was trying to make the point to you that sometimes kindness is what people need first. Then you can later tell them what they need to hear, which can most certainly be done in a kind way. I feel sad for someone who thinks lessons or advice given in a kind way doesn't work, where the hell did you go to school? I actually taught disillusioned inner city teenagers so I realize that some people thrive on cold hard truth with no sugarcoating, but I don't think the person we are talking about was ready for that. In fact they were so not ready to hear it, they deactivated their account. Obviously this person had some serious issues- did you even read their posts? The simple truth pointed out to you is what works for YOU. Not everyone has your personality. I was being a bit facetious with you though. I knew you could take it.