Should thighs rub?

Options
Should they or shouldn't they? Is it normal for them to touch or rub when you walk or run? Did your thighs stop rubbing when you lost weight? Is it a result of being overweight or just normal on some people?

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I'm not completely sure, but I think it depends on the person. When I was at my best weight, and in a healthy weight(not toned really, just skinny) my thighs still touched a bit when standing normally. I don't really think I'll ever have the triangle of free space there...
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    It's completely normal. Thigh gap is only achieveable for people with wide-set hips - or people that are dangerously underweight.
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Depends on your bone structure. If you have wide set hips, then probably not. At my normal weight of 120 my thighs didn't touch.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Is this a thigh gap thread?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Should they or shouldn't they? Is it normal for them to touch or rub when you walk or run? Did your thighs stop rubbing when you lost weight? Is it a result of being overweight or just normal on some people?
    Depends on your Genetics
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    For myself, they should not. For you, it's possible that they should.
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Not sure, even when I was thin my legs rubbed. I have smallish hips so not sure if that makes the difference.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    it is normal for them to touch.

That being said, for the longest time, my pants would develop holes in the inner thigh from them rubbing together ( chub rub). Over the last few years, my legs have gotten toned and muscular. In January bought 2 pair of yoga pants, and 9+ months later, there is NO sign of chub rub! :bigsmile: A thigh gap isn't something I want...but I LOVE not having chub rub ruin my pants.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    No matter if I'm overweight or underweight, my thighs always touch. It's how I'm built. I don't think they rub when I walk or run, at least not to the point of chaffing or wearing holes in my clothes, but they always touch.

Whether or not you have a gap is a matter of bone structure. Not just the width of your hips, but how your hip bones sit in the socket.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    It's mostly body composition-- my mother is 5'5 and about a size 16 and her thighs don't touch at all, I'm a size 6/8 and mine sort of touch, and my cousin is a size 4 with thighs that touch. Your thighs will likely get smaller as you drop pounds, but whether your thighs touch or not isn't a useful indicator of healthy body weight/fat.
  • hopefaithlove24
    hopefaithlove24 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    When I was at 118 lbs, they still touched and I was very small then... So I guess it depends on the person!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My thighs pretty much always tough at the top, but at a healthy weight, it's not uncomfortable and I barely notice.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My touched and rubbed even when I was only 100 lbs. It's genetics that determines if they will touch or not.

Although, now that I've lost a lot of weight, they don't chafe anymore, and it's no longer destroying my pants.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Agreed with all the other posters: for most people, yes they will always touch, regardless of weight loss, unless you have that certain bone structure that allows it. Obsessions with thigh-gap are often synonymous with ED's (at least in my experiences - the first time I ever heard the term "thigh-gap", I had to look it up, which only led to a million links to thinspo and pro-Ana sites :frown:), so I hope you're not obessing over having one to that extreme of an extent!

My thighs have always touched, but since I've lost close to 20 pounds overall this year, I don't get any chaffing when I walk long distances in shorts/dresses/skirts. I am currently 5'6" and 139 pounds with wide hips.
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    It's a beautiful day outside people, why are you worrying about this, stop yourselves before it's too late and go outside! :)
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. My thighs have always rubbed together, even when I was a UK 8, annoying but there is nothing I can do about it :grumble:
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    it is normal for them to touch.

That being said, for the longest time, my pants would develop holes in the inner thigh from them rubbing together ( chub rub). Over the last few years, my legs have gotten toned and muscular. In January bought 2 pair of yoga pants, and 9+ months later, there is NO sign of chub rub! :bigsmile: A thigh gap isn't something I want...but I LOVE not having chub rub ruin my pants.

I :heart: this!! Chub rub explains all those destroyed pants of mine LOL
  • Rogsman
    Rogsman Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Worth every penny: Bodyglide Original Anti-Chafe Balm (avail via amazon.com or sports stores).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    My thighs touch no matter how thin I am. But even if your body structure makes them so they touch, being a healthy weight would probably make it so they don't rub painfully. And if they still bother you, get one of the anti-chafing balms.
  • gabbygirl78
    gabbygirl78 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Everything i got rubs but I'm quite a bit over weight. My daughter , on the other hand is 5'4" and wears a size 3 in jeans and her thighs still rub... she has kinda wide hips for her size but not too bad so it just depends on how you were built.